Malibu 185 Pod Project

How is the tongue weight on trailer. Looks like it might be a little light. Watch out for the trailer sway.
I have same problem. Need to move my axles back aways.

Well we did test run tonight. A few bugs to work out. It floated good and pod was well up out of water.

We have a weird listing thing going on when boat at rest.Now that kicker was on different side it tends to lean that way.

Nothing that can't be fixed by shifting some weight around.

Went to second breakin stage at 4000 rpm and hit 25 knots. About 25 to 30 percent faster than inboard. Zero porposing.

Definitely need trim tabs.

Can't believe how quiet is is...

Here a couple of photos.20220331_194628.jpg20220331_191912.jpg

Yep it's long. About 4 to 5 inches when you tilt the motor full up. Rather not have it that way than shorter. Because pod sits a bit lower it would screw up flotation I think.

There isn't really any wait time up on plane. It's instant.

Sea trial 2 tonight. Going to play with what's causing the lean. You can see it a bit from that photo.

That’s not a pod. That’s a patio. My goodness.

View attachment 77390

Yep it's long. About 4 to 5 inches when you tilt the motor full up. Rather not have it that way than shorter. Because pod sits a bit lower it would screw up flotation I think.

There isn't really any wait time up on plane. It's instant.

Sea trial 2 tonight. Going to play with what's causing the lean. You can see it a bit from that photo.
I think your lean is caused by the kicker on the corner of your pod. I have the single main with the kicker on a bracket like you and I need more tab on that side to run true. It‘s not as pronounced because my boat is a bit bigger but I store my extra cannon balls in the rear starboard hatch to offset it. You might consider moving your batteries more to starboard as a solution?
Nice setup, a little tweaking is worth the improvements you’ve made.

Well we did test run tonight. A few bugs to work out. It floated good and pod was well up out of water.

We have a weird listing thing going on when boat at rest.Now that kicker was on different side it tends to lean that way.

Nothing that can't be fixed by shifting some weight around.

Went to second breakin stage at 4000 rpm and hit 25 knots. About 25 to 30 percent faster than inboard. Zero porposing.

Definitely need trim tabs.

Can't believe how quiet is is...

Here a couple of photos.View attachment 77388View attachment 77387
Tabs are a game changer. Not just for running the chop, but for adjusting for a list. Go electric and get the biggest that can fit. I have 12x9 Bennett’s but you may fit 12x12’s depending How much space you have. I opted for the indicator tab so I always know where my tabs are.

It was cheaper for me to order the tab kit from Harbour Chandler and just pay a shop to install (took 4hours).

I personally like the electrics for usability and installation. I have 2 sets of Bennet electrics in my warehouse. Planes and actuators w/wiring. No switch. Fyi

I personally like the electrics for usability and installation. I have 2 sets of Bennet electrics in my warehouse. Planes and actuators w/wiring. No switch. Fyi

yes that the plan electrics. What size? I need the 9 x 12. I have electric switch already at helm ready to go. Bolt 912ED is one I need.

trim.JPG

Last edited:
Back