Malibu 185 Pod Project

I can bring them up on my other main HDS units, so have a back up. and, BOAT stands for Bring On Another Thousand, so pay to play.
I think this is a great idea. If the plotter/sounder was to fail, I would likely not be using the boat before getting it fixed anyway, besides, getting back to the dock with no gauges is not really a problem.

We podded our 185 malibu back in 2015 and installed a fish box in the floor where the doghouse used to be. In the first picture you can see the hatch in the floor. Huge improvement in fishable space with the doghouse removed :D

Attachments

• 20170930_175826.jpg
    20170930_175826.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 269
  • Malibu 185.jpg
    Malibu 185.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 266
  • 20170930_180220 (1).jpg
    20170930_180220 (1).jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 271
Boat goes in Tuesday at dss welding. I ended up getting it done closer to me in the end which was great.

Just pulling out a few things this weekend. Looks like I need to completely reconfigure helm lose some gauges.

Pics too follow...

Last edited:
We podded our 185 malibu back in 2015 and installed a fish box in the floor where the doghouse used to be. In the first picture you can see the hatch in the floor. Huge improvement in fishable space with the doghouse removed :D

That's what I had in mind for transom and hatches....

Just waiting on powder coating to finish, and final assembly. And then to finish off dash, and inside cabinets.

One thing did come up. Transducer. Any thoughts on a in-hull transducer. I have P66 right now I don't have much room once pod installed, and trim tabs. I don't really want to mount it on pod.

I could go with a thru hull but not sure how comfortable I am with drilling holes in hull. Any one have thoughts on P66 in hull transducer?

Just waiting on powder coating to finish, and final assembly. And then to finish off dash, and inside cabinets.

One thing did come up. Transducer. Any thoughts on a in-hull transducer. I have P66 right now I don't have much room once pod installed, and trim tabs. I don't really want to mount it on pod.

I could go with a thru hull but not sure how comfortable I am with drilling holes in hull. Any one have thoughts on P66 in hull transducer?
if the pod follows the hull shape , put it in the pod

did you go 25 or 30 for shaft length? I put a tab on the outside of my pod for the transducer to bolt on. Can mount uhmw to that and screw in or direct to hull but maybe too late if your in coating already. I don’t see an anode tab welded on, are you just going to drill a hole after? Looking fwd to the finished pictures I’m hoping to get mine back in the water this Sunday or early next week. Lots of little details in these jobs that get underestimated.

did you go 25 or 30 for shaft length? I put a tab on the outside of my pod for the transducer to bolt on. Can mount uhmw to that and screw in or direct to hull but maybe too late if your in coating already. I don’t see an anode tab welded on, are you just going to drill a hole after? Looking fwd to the finished pictures I’m hoping to get mine back in the water this Sunday or early next week. Lots of little details in these jobs that get underestimated.

25 inch length.

That was just a pic above when it was tack welded. There are spots for them with additional brackets.

I wasn't going to powdercoat it I just think it looks better honestly. I have drill holes into mine after the fact with motor etc. It doesn't worry me. I work with powder coating pretty much F/T at my work. I asked for an additional primer underneath, and will paint with epoxy if I have to. This boat is going to be trailered and not moored. It should last a while.

Big thanks to Larry at DSS he has been very helpful so far.

As for transducer I could mount it to pod, but I was trying to avoid that.

Good call on the epoxy. Nothing wrong with powder coating if the prep work is done properly.

Good call on the epoxy. Nothing wrong with powder coating if the prep work is done properly.

It's getting powdercoated. I am just putting epoxy on holes if they are drilled after fact. The powdercoating is prepped and has primer underneath. A lot of places miss the primer step....

I always wondered what the difference was. When people say epoxy they just mean epoxy paint instead of power coat right?

Back