Malibu 185 Pod Project

SpringVelocity

Crew Member
Well its done finally did it. My inboard gets pulled next few weeks. Motors are secured.

New Suzuki 150 and 9.9 efi for power. Ripping out steering and moving to hydraulic steering with second helm.

Photos to come....

I am really trying to get some ideas for the floor hatch etc. Over doghouse floor. Anyone that podded one able to post some pics?

Any ideas are helpful. My thoughts are to just cnc cut a piece of aluminum out etc. I am trying to figure out what I uses space for.

Currently boat has no fish locker space which has alway been a pain.. So it is either cooler off pod or in there.

Last edited:
I dont think your pod would be big enough for a cooler but if it is the floor hold would be great to have for extra storage. The old engine space may even be big enough to split length wise and use for fish box and storage?

Well its done finally did it. My inboard gets pulled next few weeks. Motors are secured.

New Suzuki 150 and 9.9 efi for power. Ripping out steering and moving to hydraulic steering with second helm.

Photos to come....

I am really trying to get some ideas for the floor hatch etc. Over doghouse floor. Anyone that podded one able to post some pics?

Any ideas are helpful. My thoughts are to just cnc cut a piece of aluminum out etc. I am trying to figure out what I uses space for.

Currently boat has no fish locker space which has alway been a pain.. So it is either cooler off pod or in there.
What about a killbag hanging on the pod?

I dont think your pod would be big enough for a cooler but if it is the floor hold would be great to have for extra storage. The old engine space may even be big enough to split length wise and use for fish box and storage?

Yeah I am thinking it may just storage. Looked at today and bay isn't that big. I have to pull motor first and see.

I’m assuming by “cnc cut a piece of aluminum” you mean water jet……or router. Why don’t you just cut a piece yourself? Not like you are talking a difficult shape.

I’m assuming by “cnc cut a piece of aluminum” you mean water jet……or router. Why don’t you just cut a piece yourself? Not like you are talking a difficult shape.

No I own a CNC plasma and also run 3D CAD software. So for me it's pretty easy. I am just trying to visualize what I want.

Also thinking of redoing the gauges in front since I have to make room for digital gauge for outboard. I am thinking of cutting a new dash plate.

Last edited:
What engine is in that boat? I have a client looking for a used 3.0 liter merc

No I own a CNC plasma and also run 3D CAD software. So for me it's pretty easy. I am just trying to visualize what I want.

Also thinking of redoing the gauges in front since I have to make room for digital gauge for outboard. I am thinking of cutting a new dash plate.
Just did that exact thing on my rig....put a Garmin 9 inch in dash replacing all my old gauges. Nice clean look, easy to see a number of engine, fuel etc readings.

Here’s how the dash came together. Even easier with a CNC machine.

Attachments

• 81FC065D-91FD-4031-9F78-32E380C9469A.jpeg
    81FC065D-91FD-4031-9F78-32E380C9469A.jpeg
    439 KB · Views: 232
  • 88E61A5D-48D3-4528-A654-03CC41BF3386.jpeg
    88E61A5D-48D3-4528-A654-03CC41BF3386.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 230
  • CA026511-2239-4B89-8D86-B1824ACE066F.jpeg
    CA026511-2239-4B89-8D86-B1824ACE066F.jpeg
    342.3 KB · Views: 238
I used to own a 185. Loved that boat, did not love the inboard so much. Looking forward to final pic results.

Reactions: CCB
Back