Malibu 185 Pod Project

Well that's a wrap. This has been an interesting project. We took it for second test run move things around and boat is level. Ordered some trim tabs and that's it for me for bit.

I put a hydrofoil on today like I had on my inboard and it made a huge difference today with planing etc and driving bow down. Had the boat up higher to see what it would. Do. At 4800 rpm was getting about 36knots. Pretty incredible and hardly burned any fuel.

Will wait for bit to see what my numbers are with prop at WOT.

I big thanks to DSS welding and Breakers Marine. Also thanks to members here that gave advice etc.

20220402_163128.jpg

Last edited:
Well that's a wrap. This has been an interesting project. We took it for second test run move things around and boat is level. Ordered some trim tabs and that's it for me for bit.

I put a hydrofoil on today like I had on my inboard and it made a huge difference today with planing etc and driving bow down. Had the boat up higher to see what it would. Do. At 4800 rpm was getting about 36knots. Pretty incredible and hardly burned any fuel.

Will wait for bit to see what my numbers are with prop at WOT.

I big thanks to DSS welding and Breakers Marine. Also thanks to members here that gave advice etc.

View attachment 77554
You’ll just be a blur as you go nuking by me!

Sorry jerrod I was out of town for a few days in not very good service range. I would have gladly sold you some tabs for my cost since I have 2 sets just sitting there. 9x12s

Last edited:
I put a hydrofoil on today like I had on my inboard and it made a huge difference today with planing etc and driving bow down.
First ever boat with a 175 with that ??? you do realize what trim tabs do ????

What prop did they set you up with I have a 2019 150 Suzuki on my 18’ Hourston similar setup to yours full depth extension 32” back 32” wide and see about 38-39knts at 5700rpm 16x21 watergrip. Cruise is 23-25@ 4200 and 21-22@3900. Fuel burn is 25-26L/hr at those speeds. Sounds like your getting great results if you can hit the rated rpm range.

What prop did they set you up with I have a 2019 150 Suzuki on my 18’ Hourston similar setup to yours full depth extension 32” back 32” wide and see about 38-39knts at 5700rpm 16x21 watergrip. Cruise is 23-25@ 4200 and 21-22@3900. Fuel burn is 25-26L/hr at those speeds. Sounds like your getting great results if you can hit the rated rpm range.

3 x 15 1/4 x 19R stainless. It seems its faster on higher end my number at 4200 was about 26-27 knots. That is two people full load/full tank. I have not ran it alone yet. I need to play around a bit and determine best fuel burn.

We definitely were not up to 5700 rpm. Haven't pushed it that far yet.

Last edited:
The rides better with one I always find. Yes I know what trim tabs do. They serve different functions. I am running both on this boat. It was easy to put on and no holes were drilled at all.
I have the hydrofoil also on my main plus trim tabs and also found a better performance compared to without. Staying on plane down to 13 mph, for instance.

I have the hydrofoil also on my main plus trim tabs and also found a better performance compared to without. Staying on plane down to 13 mph, for instance.
You have to on arimas as they pound so badly LOL LOL

I have the hydrofoil also on my main plus trim tabs and also found a better performance compared to without. Staying on plane down to 13 mph,
I've used them in the past as well. But I always thought they were a last resort when power was an issue or if you had no tabs. They do effect handling for sure.

Nice job on everything. I'm sure you're very happy.
I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions as I've started thinking about pods.
Did your hole in your transom get filled or was it left as is and the pod bolted on over top of the hole?
What was your approx budget for this project?

Nice job on everything. I'm sure you're very happy.
I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions as I've started thinking about pods.
Did your hole in your transom get filled or was it left as is and the pod bolted on over top of the hole?
What was your approx budget for this project?

Left as is. No I didn't bother sealing hole. I don't really think its necessary. There is a huge back plate and that is also sika flexed/bolted together. Then the pod is as well. Kelly (Last Chance) has slick system where he has an actual access plate inside his boat. There are posts on it.

I would take your budget and add about 10% to it. You won't end up on budget. Things come up as you go along. The more you do yourself the cheaper it is.

You might want to ask Profisher on his boat. It looks you have same sea sport. He might have some advice. If you are going to do it don't wait. Engines are scarce right now.

If your really serious I would go down and talk to Larry at DSS about it. Your probably looking at said and done your boat 35-40K when your done if you went brand new motors etc. Depends on your steering etc.

You could probably do it cheaper if found used motors but it seems impossible to find low hour mid range motors at reasonable price.

Last edited:
I've used them in the past as well. But I always thought they were a last resort when power was an issue or if you had no tabs. They do effect handling for sure.

No that's the misconception. I like the fact you can get up plane at lower RPM, and it does limit porpoising. I didn't have porpoising off the bat but I haven't tested it in swells. And just to add if I thought it didn't work it wouldn't be on my boat. Why would I put it on a new motor?

No that's the misconception. I like the fact you can get up plane at lower RPM, and it does limit porpoising. I didn't have porpoising off the bat but I haven't tested it in swells. And just to add if I thought it didn't work it wouldn't be on my boat. Why would I put it on a new motor?
I really liked what it did for my 18 foot Maxum as well, don't get me wrong.

Back