Malibu 185 Pod Project

I always wondered what the difference was. When people say epoxy they just mean epoxy paint instead of power coat right?
Epoxy is usually a prime coat it’s very durable if applied correctly. Aluminum needs to be etched chemically or have the surface ground prior to painting or the oxide that develops naturally would prevent a good bond.

Anyone use this transducer? Using a Lowrance HDS Gen 3. This looks equivalent to P66 It in hull so no drilling..View attachment 75896
I have one in my boat with an HDS Gen 2 however I have never used anything better so it’s hard to say how good it actually is.

I am installing an HDS Carbon in the next few weeks going to run this transducers and the one it came with so I will be able to compare it.

Hey Jarrod, put an airmar bronze thruhull in. Put it in the old engine compartment. Probly need a 10 degree. You won't regret it. If you want chirp and the fancy stuff it will set you back. If you just want a solid sonar it's relatively not that expensive. Use a backing plate drill a hole, you'll love it.

Hey Jarrod, put an airmar bronze thruhull in. Put it in the old engine compartment.
Exactly what I did!!!! and can see bottom doing 40 mph. over my time I went thru so many of the ****** ones that hang out the back broken brackets or simply stopped working..

Anyone use this transducer? Using a Lowrance HDS Gen 3. This looks equivalent to P66 It in hull so no drilling..View attachment 75896
I have this transducer paired with an HDS Carbon 12 and like BigBird007 I haven’t used anything else so I can’t say it’s best but it works well. It didn’t work so well installed by the dealer. These things need to be oriented with the dead rise so the top sits level. Mine was canted so I had to redo the install. I also moved it from the thickest part of the hull (keel) to about 14” from the centreline. It was struggling to work intermittently now it still works at WOT.

Sounds like I may need to drill a hole.
No doubt the through-hull is the best functioning transducer but I wouldn’t be afraid of the P79 as it works well if properly installed. It does say right in the installation manual that it doesn’t work through cored hulls. You have to drill a hole through the inside hull and the core to install it against the outside hull. If I had a cored hull I’d just go with the through-hull over this finicky option.

Sounds like I may need to drill a hole.

Its not as bad as it sounds. Cut a piece of plywood for a backing plate. Drill a hole in both plate and hull. Paint the backing plate with bilge coat. Send that bad boy in there with 5200. You'll never go back

If you need help finding the right transducer for what your doing, I can try and help you. Send me your info on your electronics

Looking good, I see you went with a hull extension rather than pod - great choice as it will provide extra floatation to prevent the stern from sinking down too much. Less cavitation issues too. Will be interesting to see how the engines mount up, looks like you have plenty of space to fully tilt them up all the way - that is very handy. Should also note, may be helpful to find a mounting location for zincs to protect the pod.

Looks really nice. I've been thinking about something similar for when I need to change the main engine on this new to me boat... it seems like it sits low in the stern, that might be the way to address that. I'm not sure if its a good investment in this hull though.
20220303_164052.jpg

Looking good, I see you went with a hull extension rather than pod - great choice as it will provide extra floatation to prevent the stern from sinking down too much. Less cavitation issues too. Will be interesting to see how the engines mount up, looks like you have plenty of space to fully tilt them up all the way - that is very handy. Should also note, may be helpful to find a mounting location for zincs to protect the pod.

Yeah the extension was only way to go, and yes lots of room for tilting. The zincs go on those brackets in back. I just haven't installed them yet.

Looks really nice. I've been thinking about something similar for when I need to change the main engine on this new to me boat... it seems like it sits low in the stern, that might be the way to address that. I'm not sure if its a good investment in this hull though.
Not with the engine well, you won't recover any space and you would have to step/reach across
the well to access your motor's

Its not as bad as it sounds. Cut a piece of plywood for a backing plate. Drill a hole in both plate and hull. Paint the backing plate with bilge coat. Send that bad boy in there with 5200. You'll never go back

If you need help finding the right transducer for what your doing, I can try and help you. Send me your info on your electronics

Yeah let you know don't think hanging it off back is an option at this point.

Back