Boat Project Ideas

BarkleySounder

Hello all,

I recently purchased this older 19ft double Eagle (I believe 1987) with a pod. The previous owner had removed the floor and stated the stringers were all good prior to installing a new 5/8 floor which he gel coated on the top.

The transom also had some work done and a pod put on which is quite sturdy fiberglass. It appears to have been done right. It came with an older 97 Yamaha 200 salt water series which I plan to run for awhile as new ones are quite a bit of money! Unsure of the hours but compression checked out at 125 a cylinder. Came with a seastar hydraulic steering kit that needs to be installed.

The boat had an 80 gal aluminum tank installed under the floor and as you can see from the photos, a gas inlet on the helm side.

I guess what I'm after is some ideas on seating arrangements/flooring finishes to make it look nice. Something that isn't going to be slippery is a must! Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• F066172B-24A7-4DB4-9E7D-A273900C2A63.jpeg
    F066172B-24A7-4DB4-9E7D-A273900C2A63.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 232
  • C7C1A13E-45D5-418B-93D1-72B068B440C1.jpeg
    C7C1A13E-45D5-418B-93D1-72B068B440C1.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 231
  • 0C7CA0C8-B11F-4E87-B576-34779F578289.jpeg
    0C7CA0C8-B11F-4E87-B576-34779F578289.jpeg
    326.7 KB · Views: 237
I have a 19 ft as well. After the hull work I had a clean slate like you have. I went with a two-seat setup, me plus wife or buddy and no more than that. Leaves a nice sized dance floor. The driver's seat is swivel mounted on a sturdy aluminum box with a big fish cooler that slides partway into the box. At a pinch, a third person can sit on a cushion on the end of the cooler. I'll get some pics for you tomorrow.

I did a truck bed liner product on the fibreglassed deck. They tinted it to match the hull. Love the grip and durability.

Awesome
I have a 19 ft as well. After the hull work I had a clean slate like you have. I went with a two-seat setup, me plus wife or buddy and no more than that. Leaves a nice sized dance floor. The driver's seat is swivel mounted on a sturdy aluminum box with a big fish cooler that slides partway into the box. At a pinch, a third person can sit on a cushion on the end of the cooler. I'll get some pics for you tomorrow.

I did a truck bed liner product on the fibreglassed deck. They tinted it to match the hull. Love the grip and durability.

Appreciate your input! Would definitely like to see how it turned out!

I've been mulling this over myself for the last year. I have a 1999 185 DE and with the older models they do lack some fish storage (new ones have a locker under the sleeper seat). I keep my fenders under mine and some other gear. I am currently set up with a captain pedestal seat, but also a sleeper seat for the passenger. I fish solo a majority of the time, but the boat fishes perfect with 2, and 3 gets crowded. The sleeper is great but the guy in the back is basically out in the elements anyways in his seat so it doesn't really help in keeping you dry. I go back and forth on removing the sleeper seat and installing a pedestal, or finding a way to have a removable cooler like sly karma has. This option does give you flexibility for what you want to put under there. Say you're heading out for full day and you're after multi-species with a couple buddies, it'd be nice to have a big cooler. But if you're just heading out for winter springs, then a smaller cooler or fish tub would be fine. Or you can use it for storing gear on a camping trip. My hesitation would be to find a cooler that would be big enough for our catch, but not so long that it impedes your feet and making it awkward for your passengers. Consider what you have for storing your catch. If you have no in-floor locker, than you're looking into a cooler/kill bag way most likely. 80 gal tank must be nice, mine is only 32imperial gallons.

I've been mulling this over myself for the last year. I have a 1999 185 DE and with the older models they do lack some fish storage (new ones have a locker under the sleeper seat). I keep my fenders under mine and some other gear. I am currently set up with a captain pedestal seat, but also a sleeper seat for the passenger. I fish solo a majority of the time, but the boat fishes perfect with 2, and 3 gets crowded. The sleeper is great but the guy in the back is basically out in the elements anyways in his seat so it doesn't really help in keeping you dry. I go back and forth on removing the sleeper seat and installing a pedestal, or finding a way to have a removable cooler like sly karma has. This option does give you flexibility for what you want to put under there. Say you're heading out for full day and you're after multi-species with a couple buddies, it'd be nice to have a big cooler. But if you're just heading out for winter springs, then a smaller cooler or fish tub would be fine. Or you can use it for storing gear on a camping trip. My hesitation would be to find a cooler that would be big enough for our catch, but not so long that it impedes your feet and making it awkward for your passengers. Consider what you have for storing your catch. If you have no in-floor locker, than you're looking into a cooler/kill bag way most likely. 80 gal tank must be nice, mine is only 32imperial gallons.

Hey I appreciate that input. I have been toying with the idea of two pedestal style seats with small benches in behind with storage like the photo attached (on a smaller scale). The floor does have a fish hold so that's a bonus but yes storage would be tight. There will be times I think I would take more then one (not necessarily to fish).

Attachments

• 1D03C013-6F1A-4809-AB0C-30A0EEDB92B8.jpeg
    1D03C013-6F1A-4809-AB0C-30A0EEDB92B8.jpeg
    792.5 KB · Views: 113
It is a nice feature for the driver to be able to swivel around while trolling to help keep an eye on the rods. If this is just for fishing, 2 seats with a cooler to sit on; keep the weight down, maximize deck space for dealing with fish. Be sure to seal all fasteners put into the floor very well.

It is a nice feature for the driver to be able to swivel around while trolling to help keep an eye on the rods. If this is just for fishing, 2 seats with a cooler to sit on; keep the weight down, maximize deck space for dealing with fish. Be sure to seal all fasteners put into the floor very well.

Any tips for sealing the fasteners? I know sikaflex but is there a method out there that is tried as true?

In addition to the sealer you mentioned, you could put some penetrating epoxy on any exposed plywood made by drilling holes; this stuff is water-thin.

Here is one source of epoxy:
https://www.rotdoctor.com/

I have used this & it does soak into the wood at least 1 inch (you need to keep brushing it on a few times).

Updating thread as boat has been completed (and sold). Figured some finished pictures would inspire other Double Eagle 185 owners who have a project as I did.

I chose to redo the pod with full length swim grid then powder coated the aluminum with matching tower.

The 200hp engine was wicked fast on the boat!

45520106-7913-4FA2-9A49-34715C779982.jpeg

Attachments

• ECF4D0EA-F705-4FCA-BF6F-758CBAFFE0E3.jpeg
    ECF4D0EA-F705-4FCA-BF6F-758CBAFFE0E3.jpeg
    650.1 KB · Views: 139
  • CC593274-D8A4-4D90-8BC5-CD54906872B7.jpeg
    CC593274-D8A4-4D90-8BC5-CD54906872B7.jpeg
    440.3 KB · Views: 129
Back