Svi?

Interesting how some people enjoy ragging other people's business and know it all better but when it comes to stepping up to the plate and taking on some responsibility they are nowhere to be found. If you are so smart and know it all J-GLOBAL why don't you get involved and show them how it's done? If not then spare us all your smart lectures please!

Calmsea, is it a business? I thought it was an Non Profit, but could be wrong. The Vic guys initiated the business comparison, so I though I'd put it in their own terms.

Why don't I get involved? As I've plainly stated, I live on the mainland, and don't see a reason to donate to a 'coalition' that doesn't represent me.

Further, I support numerous efforts here, in my immediate area with donations of $ and supplies for various projects. And donating my own time, with fishing related/river cleanups/education/youth conservatively about 30 hours/week.

I'd be happy to "show them how its done"; I've actually been trying to help "them" see that naming SVI and in he vision SVI has put forth is divisive. Its easy enough to change/improve. Follow the suggestions I've already made and it will improve (depending on what the goals are). Anyone from SVI is welcome to send me a PM with any questions/comments and I'm more than happy to share what I've learned.

So, may I suggest, Calmsea, that before you call someone out to "Step up to the plate" and "take on some responsibility", perhaps know more about the people you ignorantly 'call out' before posting nonsense.

Unfortunately a good cause is getting derailed over a name....
I understand that angler's out side of the SVI area are concerned about
investing money in a coalition that stands to benefit an area other than their own
The bigger picture is the SVIAC is taking up the battle for all salt water fishermen.
How ? , by challenging the current regulations which are currently stacked against us all.

Look past the name and realize that positive change brought on by any coailtion
is a good thing for all of us.

Looking past the name, you get to the "VISION", which is clearly about SVI anglers.
Change the name, change the vision, and perhaps more people from outside the area would be interested.
Or don't change either, and the supporters will mainly continue to be from SVI, which is completely, 100% appropriate.

Unfortunately a good cause is getting derailed over a name....
I understand that angler's out side of the SVI area are concerned about
investing money in a coalition that stands to benefit an area other than their own
The bigger picture is the SVIAC is taking up the battle for all salt water fishermen.
How ? , by challenging the current regulations which are currently stacked against us all.

Look past the name and realize that positive change brought on by any coailtion
is a good thing for all of us.

So True Craven.

Until it effects someone directly, some people will not get involved and cannot see the bigger picture.
Just give it time the closure will spread and more support will come on board. Hopefully it is not to late.

Well said BOTH to scott and Doug have to laugh "doesnt effect me" really cmon look into whats going on??? you cant see we are getting reguated to death WE are not the problem its pttawa and I want to see some represent "US" as BC sportfishers i could care less what the name is who gives a shiat.....and thats what there going to do if you have questions ask the poeple involved and get fricken educated!!!!!my god????

For crying out loud it's 40 bucks to push for change....
If some want to quibble with how the website is worded or the name they came up with are missing the point.
With all due respect to members here but this is BS.
Do something as some of us are getting tired of taking the load for you fence sitters....
GLG

Well said BOTH to scott and Doug have to laugh "doesnt effect me" really cmon look into whats going on??? you cant see we are getting reguated to death WE are not the problem its pttawa and I want to see some represent "US" as BC sportfishers i could care less what the name is who gives a shiat.....and thats what there going to do if you have questions ask the poeple involved and get fricken educated!!!!!my god????

Then may I suggest BC Anglers Coalition? With a "Mission" of "To promote thriving, sustainable tidal and fresh water fisheries for the benefet and enjoyment of all British Columbians".
And a Vision of "for the people of BC to enjoy and benefit from a range of thriving year-round angling opportunties and healthy fish populations neede to sstain those fisheries now and for the future.

Sometimes, what you see is what you get, and what SVI is about, in their own words, is:

From their site:
Our Vision
For the people of Southern Vancouver Island to enjoy and benefit from a range of thriving year-round angling opportunities and healthy fish populations needed to sustain those fisheries now and for future generations

Our Mission …
To promote thriving, sustainable tidal and fresh water fisheries for the benefit and enjoyment of the public on South Vancouver Island;

Seems easily understandalbe.

For crying out loud it's 40 bucks to push for change....
If some want to quibble with how the website is worded or the name they came up with are missing the point.
With all due respect to members here but this is BS.
Do something as some of us are getting tired of taking the load for you fence sitters....
GLG

GLG, I think you're missing "the point". SVIAC is about SVI - that's exactly what they say!

Do something? Like what, exactly? Donate $ - done, Donate time - done, donate supplies - done, to/with organizations that have more local (to me) impact than an SVI goup that specifically excludes everyone NOT from SVI. If they will be building coalitions, perhaps they will do so with where we (outside SVI) already participate, andthen it would realy make more sense for each angler to volunteer/donate locally, wouldn't it?

J Global, I would respectfully point out to you that if you fish the lower Georgia Strait or the Fraser River that you are faced with the same issues that we are facing here on SVI? One of the coalitions first battles will be with the early times Fraser Restrictions. Is this not a battle you have some interest in? Would you like to see the politics of these restrictions removed and conservation measures be made purely on pier reviewed scientific data?

Do something? Like what, exactly? Donate $ - done, Donate time - done, donate supplies - done, to/with organizations that have more local (to me) impact than an SVI goup that specifically excludes everyone NOT from SVI. If they will be building coalitions, perhaps they will do so with where we (outside SVI) already participate, andthen it would realy make more sense for each angler to volunteer/donate locally, wouldn't it?

I thank you for your work..... Wish more would do what you have done.
please take your constructive ideas to http://anglerscoalition.com/?page_id=1011
That is the place you should be asking these questions.
It's not helpful to be going on and on about this here.
Will they change their name like you suggested? Maybe, but I for one don't care.
If some of the money I sent them gets change, then I'm happy to do so.
Will they grow from South Island to all BC? I sure hope so.
I'm willing to give them some slack till they get their feet on solid ground.
Oh and I think they are about Canadian fishing rights not just South Island.
Time will tell but they have my support at this moment and will renew next year if they continue to look out for my best interest. If they don't then I'll withdraw then....
Hope you can see beyond the name and support them. If not so be it.
GLG

Last edited by a moderator:
The website is still under construction. We have been working hard at getting some new wording up on the website, but we have a very limited number of volunteers and it has been a busy time for us since our launch back in late November. We will have some new literature up soon.

We thank everyone who supports our cause and also thank those that offer their opinion on how we can attract anglers from other regions. Currently I can offer you this:

… Our Mission

To advocate for healthy ecosystems and abundant populations of wild fish and invertebrates;
To promote thriving, sustainable tidal and freshwater fisheries for the benefit and enjoyment of the public;
To ensure our government maintains, expands, and promotes access to Canada’s common property fish resources, thereby safeguarding angling opportunities for the benefit and enjoyment of the public; and
To educate government and the public about the economic, social and cultural value of a healthy public fishery

6. Our Motivation

For over a century, recreational-fishing has remained at the core of what it means to live on the west coast; indeed, angling is a primary thread in the social and cultural fabric of who we are here in British Columbia. Over half of all British Columbia residents will go fishing at some point in their lives and while doing so will experience a wide-spectrum of emotions … from heart-pounding adrenaline-rushes, to revitalizing moments of tranquil reflection … as they reconnect with nature. Angling is enjoyed by young and old, people of all races and genders, and is an especially worthy and important activity to teach our children.

Currently, this province’s saltwater anglers number well over 300,000 individuals and recreational fishing remains a vital economic-engine for our Province[1]. The public tidal and freshwater fisheries service industry and its ancillary businesses generate more than ten thousand jobs and two billion dollars or more annually to the Provincial economy[2]. With BC’s myriad of pristine lakes, rivers, streams and magnificent marine coastline, it is little wonder people flock here from many points around the world every year to enjoy our public recreational fisheries.

Unfortunately for our fish, and the millions of Canadians that hold our precious fish and fishery resource in such high esteem—much of BC’s precious fish-habitat remains at risk while our government continues to downplay our public fisheries in favour of ecologically dangerous activities.

At SVIAC, we recognize clearly that if the perilous decline and unacceptable miss-management of our fisheries continues unabated; and if the failure of government to protect and restore vital fish habitat is not addressed immediately — soon there won’t be any fish left for our children.

[1] The Province claims 7700 jobs @ $288-million to GDP. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/omfd/fishstats/sport/index.html ) people in directly related retail, tourism, guide-outfitter, and service industry jobs, generating an estimated $1.5-billion annually directly to the BC economy. $865-million according to Min. of Enviro (2007) ‘British Columbia’s Fisheries and Aquaculture Sector’ (pp.7)

[2] Freshwater Sport Fishing in British Columbia Economic Impacts of Freshwater Sport Fishing in BC G S Gislason & Associates Ltd. Sept. 2009 – states: 320,000 in 2005 with $480-million in angler expenditures; average angler spent $120.00/day;

What you can expect to see on the updated website is:

About us

- our team - history
- our vision and mission
- our motivation
- our platform

FAQs

Dave as you know I reminded everyone at the per-boat show get together that the most important part of the coalitions mandate to me was what you posted as the "Mission". I'm all about fish first. It is important to me that a recreational group leads the charge to real change and captures the respect of organizations and the public regardless if they fish or not.

SVI
I'm not asking what you can do for me.... I'm asking what can I do for you....
.....let me know how I can help..
GLG

Well, G-Global has about talked me out of a membership, not really, ALL of you have!
Until you gobs figure out that, yes you live in B.C. and get first chance to partake of Canada's Pacific Ocean harvest and start an association that helps protect the bounty for all of the rest of the countries population, I don't feel that the non B.C. resident should get behind anything that is for a few self indulgent privaleged few!
SVI,SFAB,Wack-A-Mole yada yada, if it's about conservation and enhancement for the betterment of the resource, does it really matter what it calls itself?

hat post says exactly what the problem is! it wont stop, even if they take the 'south' out. Now someone else feels left out because they are not encompassing more then just BC!? it should be all of Canada...?

You said yourself JG this is sport fishing BC but do you see where most of the people on here fish, around Vancouver island mainly Victoria. JGlobal if you are really the stream keeper volunteer 30hr a week helping different fishing aspects...You would think you would be a true lover of the sport but seem to be creating more harm them good. I dont understand the almost slanderous tone you have takin. Yes you dont get why they have started with the south island ok we get it. Mabey they will change it but it wont happen over night just because 3 people on the internet said so.

Its called a grassroots movement people. It all has to start somewhere.

The security certificate we use for the store is issued by COMODO and is valid until May 8, 2013. I'm using Firefox and I'm not getting an error, and I typically don't suppress these errors because I need to know if they occur.

Can you try a couple of things for me? ... 1) Tell me what version of FF you're using (Select "About Firefox"), and 2) Try another browser to see if you're getting the same message, please? These will help me track this down for you.

>>>>>>>>>>Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris:
I tried again with I.E. and it worked without a problem so it may just be a glitch with the Firefox v. 12 browser. I`m now a paid up member of the Anglers Coalition. Thanks.

Thanks again to all the members who've joined us and those who plan to attend the SVI-Anglers Coalition Inaugural AGM to discover for themselves exactly what our agenda is.

If you have questions, bring them with you.

PLEASE REMEMBER: As this AGM will include Society Elections of Officers, only existing SVI-AC Members will be accorded a vote.

If you wish to vote - JOIN US BEFORE THE AGM.

As well, please don't let quibbling over the chosen name of our organization deter you from joining us or contributing to any other initiative for the benefit of our public fisheries. It's just plain good to do something... anything!

We anglers are inherently a fractious bunch; until we can overcome this and all start thinking 'ORGANIZATION', industry & government will continue to hold sway over us, leaving our fisheries - our children's fisheries - imperiled.

Please take one moment out of this day and think about this sobering fact: there are over 500,000 of us Anglers' in BC.

Well spoken F.S. and Terry.
Oh, there may be 500.000 anglers, but is that all the Federal or Freshwater numbers.
B.C. also has over 3.000.000 registered voters!!

hat post says exactly what the problem is! it wont stop, even if they take the 'south' out. Now someone else feels left out because they are not encompassing more then just BC!? it should be all of Canada...?

You said yourself JG this is sport fishing BC but do you see where most of the people on here fish, around Vancouver island mainly Victoria. JGlobal if you are really the stream keeper volunteer 30hr a week helping different fishing aspects...You would think you would be a true lover of the sport but seem to be creating more harm them good. I dont understand the almost slanderous tone you have takin. Yes you dont get why they have started with the south island ok we get it. Mabey they will change it but it wont happen over night just because 3 people on the internet said so.

Its called a grassroots movement people. It all has to start somewhere.

Sladerous? Are you serious? Creating Harm? How? By noting that a regional group, dedicated to the region, is regional?

Sorry, friend, if you're asking for money, and will call any scrutiny "slanderous" and "harmful", it will make things more challenging for the group. Not less.

And again, I am only posting what is on the SVIAC site!
What you fail to realize, I think, is what the Vision and Mission are what is doing "the harm" (if any), not my pointing it out.

ABSOLUTELY based on what SVIAC has published if you are a South Vancouver Island Angeler you should join up!

To those who have issues with the initial regional identity of SVIAC.

If you feel passionately about being left out as you see it, and can’t bring yourself to support an anglers and pacific fish advocacy organization still in its infancy whose goals are to grow and to benefit all BC anglers, fresh and salt water and our fish; then start up an angler’s coalition specific to your area. You can then work in affiliation with SVIAC possibly leading to the establishment of a BC Anglers Coalition/amalgamation at a future date.

Rather than imply criticism of those who have already explained logically and precisely why some initial boundary limits were put in place, that would seem a more worthy and honorable goal. All it would take is many thousands of hours of volunteer work and a lot of money, some of it yours.

If you would like to make the effort, there are those from SVIAC who I know would be willing to offer you advice and encouragement. You should expect not to have much in the way of free time for the first few years.

We face many of the same issues down here in Wa.

The recreational sector was continually fighting a losing battle, and lack of organized representation was the main cause.

Leaps and bounds have happened in recent years to improve the recreational representation because several different organizations got together and stood together on issues and concerns for all areas (inshore and coastal).

There are several groups, like CCA, PSA, NSIA and a couple others that were all basically made up of recreational user groups. Once they joined forces they became a stromgforce to be reckoned with, and still are.

I tip my hat to all you guys who actually join in the fight (not just on a forum) and join a club to make your voice heard, go to public meetings, and at least try to make a difference.

So if you end up with 5 or 6 different fishing clubs spred throughout BC, one win they all win, so they would end up working together to obtain goals that would benefit everyone.

Down here we try to preach about getting involved. We continue to gain momentum on individual involvement, cause many individuals together have a huge voice, but seperately have no voice.

Perhaps the SVI club will someday just be a small portion of a larger club with chapters throughout BC. Let's hope so.

Back