Is trailering a boat from the north side of Victoria to Port Hardy and motoring to Rivers Inlet in one day realistic

Keith Brown

Trying to make a realistic plan to fish Rivers Inlet. There is three of us going and we are staying on the boat. Were have 30ft King Fisher Off Shore. I realize that weather and water conditions can be a deal breaker. We have ten days for the trip but that's a long time on a boat for the three of us. I would really appreciate advise or successes and failures that any veterans of this trip may have. I'm reasonably confident that we can commute to Port hardy in 5 hours from where our boat and truck are parked. Unloading and mobilizing the boat is half a hour. So make it 7 or 8 hours including **** happens factor. So split the deference, on the water motoring @ 14:30. Is it worth even trying? If its not we might as well sleep in.
Thank You
P.S. Late July Early August Departure

No problem. If you're on the water mid afternoon shouldn't be a big deal. Staying on the boat makes it easy, you can stop where ever you want to. As you say, weather might be bad, but that's the case for any scenario. I'm more curious about getting from Victoria to Hardy in 5 hours, but I tend to be slower than most driving.

For what it's worth I've done the crossing probably a dozen times in an 18' whaler and a few times in bigger boats. The crossing has a bad reputation. I'm sure it's well earned, but it's never been more than annoying for me even when it's been 4-6' seas.

Last edited:
I’ve trailered from Vic to Hardy/Quatsino half a dozen times. I’ll leave Langford around 3:45am, and arrive at Hardy Buoys to ice up a little after 10ish, launched and in the salt by 11. I’ll ice up, then set up the boat in the mall parking lot, that way I can launch and park asap. I’m fairly cautious trailering and stay at the limit or under. So say 6 hours on the low end to trailer tip to tip. Traffic is better as well early.

Aim for a day of travel on either end of the trip and take your time and enjoy it. 10 days is a long trip, no need to push it.

A truly terrifying piece of water with bad wind / tide, but with 10 days you have reasonable probability of a weather window. Lots of good fishing between Hardy/Rivers if you are blown out a few days.

If you can tow a 30 foot boat from Vic to Port Hardy in 5 hours you are a better man than I.

If you really wanted a good trip, I would
motor the entire way from Victoria. So much more to see and do.

But if you have your mind set on 8 days straight of trolling Rivers inlet, you go for it. Keep in mind your possession limit for salmon.

My question would be why? Take a easy day to Hardy. Fill the Coolers with ice there. It’s not just launching, you have to find a place to park too, deal with the unexpected. Spend a night on the boat in Hardy, get an early start, the next day. Drop a line at Cape Caution if you want for an hour, then finish the run. Mid to late afternoon generally has the strongest winds. You will the betting on that unicorn day, running in the afternoon.

Agree with the other posts. You have 10days and there is more to your trip than rivers inlet. If you want to spend an easy night at a dock consider heading up to Bull harbour. Go past there and fish Sutil then come back and there tie up. Then an easy trip across to Rivers if the weather is good.
We’ve done that crossing 10 times in a 20’double Eagle. We pick our days but never had a bad crossing so far.

I make the drive from sooke to telegraph in a car and it takes a solid 5.5 hours and im rushing..let alone towing a boat realistically give yourself 7 hours.. spend the night in hardy get everythng ready then go in am whats the rush you have 10 days the fish will wait I promise you that LOL.

We did this trip with my 25 C-Dory this past summer. Left Victoria at 10am and slowly made our way up ice and fuel up in Campbell River. If you follow the harbour master parking lot instructions you have to park your truck and trailer separately at the upper lot. We went with a two other boats so went for dinner, got to know everyone and stayed overnight at the harbour. This was a good plan for us as I love the north island and the weather was crap on our splash day. On the way up we trolled a line a few times to break up the running and hammered our best fish of the trip, which was great because it was a slow few days at the head, so catching a fish kept moral for most of us high. Fishing cape caution and other spots really is beautiful and makes the trip for non trophy hunters. On the way back we split driving and made it all the way home. Have a great trip and feel free to connect with me for a coffee in or troll in Victoria or Sooke and I'll give you everything I learned from doing it wrong the first time!

Planning to get a video up in a month or two on our trip. I'll try to remember to let you know when it drops. I'm not pushing my videos on SFBC or anywhere right now, I'm trying to let YouTube find the right viewer for me and it's working.

Wow thank you all for the advise, there is no substitute for experience. I'm going to budget 7 hours for the drive. Not going to get up really early either so were hoping to spend the night in a marina and head out at first light. I have a few more questions. 1) I'm wondering about Ice. I buy Ice at French Creek, they are a little tuff to get to but its $30 to fill a Yeti 250. That thing would cost me a fortune to fill by the bag, N2013 mentioned Hardy Buoy's for Ice. We use a 5 gallon pail fire drill with one man on the boat, Its a bit of walking for the bucket men but it only takes a few minutes. Is there access to reasonably price Ice in Hardy or should I fill in French Creek. 2) Where should I launch and moor for the night. Do I need to reserve a slip? 3) Where do I park a 59ft rig. No problem disconnecting. 4) What time do we have to be in Hardy to get all the above done and be in a slip. I'm thinking a 07:00 departure gets us in at 14:00 or 15:00 with a stop in French Creek for Ice. 5) Any thing else I should know.

Thank You

Last edited:
That sounds too rushed. I. Like to get to Hardy in the afternoon, get all set up then head out across the straight first light

I'm more familiar with Port MacNeill than Port Hardy, but I use Hardy Buoys for processing when I'm in the area. Hardy Buoys has ice at their loading dock - http://www.hardybuoys.com/pricing/
1704991889603.png
There's also ice a couple of places in Campbell River -- I believe Boatland can load directly into a cooler in a truck or boat - https://campbellriverboatland.com/bulkice.

With a meal break I allow 8 hours to trailer Victoria to MacNeill. I agree with the comments about staying overnight [one last pub dinner] and heading out in the morning when its calmest. If I arrive and launch mid-afternoon, I generally plan to head SE rather than take it on the chin in the afternoon westerly -- reduces the chance of crew mutiny. 23 Hourston.

Do you care about launching in Port Hardy? I find Port McNeill much easier and nicer to deal with. You can get secure parking from the hardware store, see link below. They rent spots in their fenced back lot for cheap. It's a 2 minute walk from the boat ramp. All the services are close to the launch. It's a bit more boat running, but easy water. I don't bother launching in Hardy anymore.

For ice, we went here last summer. They dump chipped salt ice straight into the boat using the auger and chute. We filled coolers and the built in boxes on a 30' boat no problem. Can't remember what it cost, maybe $30-50?

Reserve a slip if you can. I've found the marinas can often be full that time of year.

If you can tow a 30 foot boat from Vic to Port Hardy in 5 hours you are a better man than I.

If you really wanted a good trip, I would
motor the entire way from Victoria. So much more to see and do.

But if you have your mind set on 8 days straight of trolling Rivers inlet, you go for it. Keep in mind your possession limit for salmon.
I'm with you on that, we have a 10 day window to work in but 3 guys on a boat for ten days is excessive and I'm trying to figure out how many days of fishing is enough. We plan on Canning and Smoking some of our fresh catch at home in the ten day time frame. Three guys on a small boat for 10 days = Mutiny. Where are the two friends that you went fishing with? I don't know I guess they must have went for a walk! LMAO

Not to derail. How's the fishing in Rivers these days? I'm considering this trip for 2025. Just curious what the experience has been like. Always see posts of monsters, but I've also heard it can be spotty fishing. What's the best time of year?

Back