Svi?

Come on. The South VI Anglers coalition is a fledgling association. Good heavens. Given the short length of time they have been around their membership numbers are quite exceptional. They started from an idea with no money. They are the voice of thousands of Recreational fishermen on southern Vancouver island. Yes, it would be wonderful if they spoke for the entire province, that would be logistically impossible. Remember, when recreational fishermen fish, the entire community wins.

Well, i wish them luck. The more concerned people about the fish and the fishery can only help the big picture.

I won't join up because i live up island and am already involved in enough for me.

Hopefully it won't be too long before the SVI Coalition represents the whole of Vancouver Island. I know at no point will they knowingly put one area against the other. In the meantime they will make an honest attempt to represent all anglers and businesses that depend on angling for part or all of their income.

Eventually the coalition will expand outward, it is part of the plan. How best to do this? That is up to members to vote and decide. You don't have a say if your not a member. Personally I would forward a motion and vote for a structure similar to the SFAB where you would have local chapters, province wide. Local people working on and presenting their local issues. Then everyone coming together and working on province wide concerns.

When attempting to sign up online, I read this on the Anglers Coalition site:
"Your online membership payment will be handled safely and securely through the online payment system of our good friends at sportfishingbc.com"

But the transaction was interrupted with this message:

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect securely to www.sportfishingbc.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.
Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are
going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified. www.sportfishingbc.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because no issuer chain was provided.

(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)

Growing pains? but should be resolved, in any case. Glitches such as this do not boost confidence or membership in SVIAC.

The security certificate we use for the store is issued by COMODO and is valid until May 8, 2013. I'm using Firefox and I'm not getting an error, and I typically don't suppress these errors because I need to know if they occur.

Can you try a couple of things for me? ... 1) Tell me what version of FF you're using (Select "About Firefox"), and 2) Try another browser to see if you're getting the same message, please? These will help me track this down for you.

Thanks,
Chris

Well said Profisher. X2.

Starting a society is very similar to starting a business. Funds and resources are limited in the beginning and you are best served by staying small at first, working within an area you know well and already have personal relationships with many of your potential customers. Do a great job serving those in your area and the word will get around to others and they will come to you, asking if you plan to expand with franchises. Go to big to fast and you are more likely to be a casualty rather than a success.

To answer FishStalker, I spent 2 hours on the site because I read everything two and three times over and wanted to give an honest opinion of what I found. With such big initiatives don't you think the site should have taken more than 10 minutes of your time???

I'm not sure what the financial goal of SVIAC is (that wasn't on the site either) but I'm guessing its 10's, maybe 100's of thousands to put a lobbyist in Ottawa? For those of us who can't travel to the AGM, the website is our only alternative. I would love to support a cause like this but I'm sorry, I am not willing to do it based on blind faith alone. Without all the info how can I or anyone unable to attend the meeting make an informed decision?

Ok it was a simple question to which we have gotten a good explanation, everyone may not agree but it is what it is. Lets now give them support to help all of our cause and see what happens.

Profisher thanks for your input, you have " the patience of Job" when dealing with this stuff. I have benefited before from your help at the Salmon seminar, Halibut seminar and on this site, thanks again.

They figure $150 for a full time professional paid lobbyist in Ottawa. That is a goal for their 3rd year. Again be patient, they only formed in November. I'm sure the website will be updated sometime after the AGM. Not much point in doing it just before as the elections could bring new people onto the board.

Firelight ...if I ever talk here about going into politics...tie me up, throw me in a secure room and leave me there until after the elections are over. LOL

So if your a meber of say BCWF your not upset its not campbell river widlife federation???? WHO cares if its to put someone in ottawa to fight for BC ill support it for where ever it comes form port hardy etc. I DONT care!!!! do you think for one minute who ever the lobbists going there is going there to fight for vic and vic alone cmon be real the coalitioin is for the rights of all of BC.
So if your happy with all the stuff DFO has done so be it !!!!!SHUT up about "the name" or better still make up your own coalition and get of your butt and make some changes for up island and be part of the team .

.Instead of bashing what the fight is really for "OUR FUTURE KIDS" . because you know what this is just the beginning it will web out and get to you soon enough.

GOD some of you on here really dont get it you hide behind an alias and stir the pot when you should support people that are trying to help you fukn mindblowing......
have to agree with pro on this one he an i see the vision why cant you...

AND before I get hate mail again dont bother as I dont care.ill delete before it gets to me...

Wolf

Wolf I hear you ARE going into politics with a new party you are starting. I heard it is called the No BS Party. (AKA : Say It Like It Is Party) LOL It will be a refreshing change from the yawns we get now!

I truly look forward to any updates from this group.thanks for the input Pro. I hope to see more details and information like that on the website in the near future.

-FB

So if your a meber of say BCWF your not upset its not campbell river widlife federation???? WHO cares if its to put someone in ottawa to fight for BC ill support it for where ever it comes form port hardy etc. I DONT care!!!! do you think for one minute who ever the lobbists going there is going there to fight for vic and vic alone cmon be real the coalitioin is for the rights of all of BC.
So if your happy with all the stuff DFO has done so be it !!!!!SHUT up about "the name" or better still make up your own coalition and get of your butt and make some changes for up island and be part of the team .

.Instead of bashing what the fight is really for "OUR FUTURE KIDS" . because you know what this is just the beginning it will web out and get to you soon enough.

GOD some of you on here really dont get it you hide behind an alias and stir the pot when you should support people that are trying to help you fukn mindblowing......
have to agree with pro on this one he an i see the vision why cant you...

AND before I get hate mail again dont bother as I dont care.ill delete before it gets to me...

Wolf

Is the Vision you see different from the one posted? I'd have to think it is. Care to share it? ANd if that is the real "vision", why is a different one on the site?

Sorry, I don't hide behind an Alias, my name is Shane Johnson, I've posted with my name in it several times, my boats are identified in my sig line, etc..

Your analogy doesn't make any sense, as campbell river is in BC. However, Vancouver is not part of SVI. Again, the vision is clear that it is about SVI. If that is not what its about, change it. It would take less time to change that on the website than it does me posting this reply.

If you can't understand that putting forward the vision statement as it is will be divisive, it can't be explained further. Not wanting to join because the vision of the group clearly states its not for me doesn't mean I'm happy with all the stuff DFO has done. You're the 2nd person to put it that way, and its nonsense. It smacks of someone that knows they got it wrong, are unwilling to change it, and so to argue about it starts spouting sillyness.

As others have posted. Good luck, I mean that sincerely. Good Luck achieving yoru aims -whatever they are because its not really that clear.

Just as a thought, if there is 1 paid lobbyist, and the $ is coming from several different "Coalitions", and the coalitions have some common ground but other items that may be more important to their members, how does the lobbyist choose which to work on. Halibut for example. In the lower mainland there are none (unfortunately). Interior - none. So how much time would the lobbyist spend on Halibut. That's been the hottest topic on the board, and hopefully you can see that with several different 'coalitions' you'll have very different views of what priority it is given. 1 employee. What do they do? Imagine you have several different 'bosses' for 1 employee... usually doesn't work out to well.

and just in case you missed it, the vision states they are NOT trying to help me, they are trying to help SVI... how can you not understand that?

The commercial sector lobbyist has the same issues...crab guys have completely different problems than halibut guys. I think worrying about what the lobbyist will do is premature. We have never had anyone in Ottawa speaking for the recreational fisheries full time and we still don't...hmmm is that why we get the short end of the stick continually? Lets work together to get someone there first and then collectively decide what to fight for.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread needs a link so others can join.
http://anglerscoalition.com/

Me ..... you bet I'm in.
I could care less if it say's south coast or north coast for that matter.
That's not the point. It's about pushing for change for all of us....

I know some on here are trying to help these guy's but perhaps if you contact them directly that would be better.
Others are using your post to advance their agenda and that's not OK.
Carry on.....
GLG

The commercial sector lobbyist has the same issues...crab guys have completely different problems than halibut guys. I think worrying about what the lobbyist will do is premature. We have never had anyone in Ottawa speaking for the recreational fisheries full time and we still don't...hmmm is that why we get the short end of the stick continually? Lets work together to get someone there first and then collectively decide what to fight for.

If using a business analogy, again, this makes no sense. Usually, you don't hire someone, then have several different bosses try to come to an agreement on what job actually will be. Its been done that way, for sure, but I'd suggest it doesn't work out that well.

Far better to define what it is the employee should be doing before hiring him/her, at least then you know what knowledge/skill set that employee should have. That would also give other 'coalitions' an understanding of whether or not they want (and by extension their members would be served) to be involved in funding the 'lobbyist'.

I think a safe suggestion would be to further define what SVI is raising money for, revise the vision statement to be more inclusive, before asking those outside of the area to put money in/join.

GLG, if its "about pushing for change for all of us...", I'd suggest a definition of "us" should be clarified, because right now its for Anglers of SVI - clearly stated in their vision.

You don't care what it says. Interesting. Trust me, everyone they speak to will care. If they represent themselves as only representing a certain area, that's how they will be seen.

The name of this site is a good example. Sportfishing BC. One would assume its about sportfishing in BC, and thus you don't have a huge sign up from Ontario and discussion about whatever fishing is relevant out there, but a lot of talk about fishing in BC.

For now, from all apperances, anglers not from SVI would appear to be better served by putting their $upport elsewhere.

Interesting how some people enjoy ragging other people's business and know it all better but when it comes to stepping up to the plate and taking on some responsibility they are nowhere to be found. If you are so smart and know it all J-GLOBAL why don't you get involved and show them how it's done? If not then spare us all your smart lectures please!

Unfortunately a good cause is getting derailed over a name....
I understand that angler's out side of the SVI area are concerned about
investing money in a coalition that stands to benefit an area other than their own
The bigger picture is the SVIAC is taking up the battle for all salt water fishermen.
How ? , by challenging the current regulations which are currently stacked against us all.

Look past the name and realize that positive change brought on by any coailtion
is a good thing for all of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back