Is trailering a boat from the north side of Victoria to Port Hardy and motoring to Rivers Inlet in one day realistic

We have been making the trip almost every year since 2009. Missed a summer when the border was closed due to Covid. Since we live across the border in Bellingham we try to catch the first or second ferry over to the Island. Then we drive up to Hardy which typically takes us five hours towing the boat. Check the weather in Hardy before we loose cell service and if it looks halfway decent head over to Dawson’s Landing. There have been only a couple times we didn’t cross in the evening with just one time being due to weather. Several trips buddies have had boat trailer issues like flat tires or wheel bearings that gave up. Those times we just got to Hardy to late and it was going to be dark prior to making it across. We like to get out of Hardy if possible and there are lots of options for places to anchor before the crossing. My boat is a 24’ Seasport and we typically do the trip with two guys but have done three a couple times. Three guys on a 24’ boat for 8-9 days is pretty tight. It takes the right buddies to spend that much time together in such a small space.
Our normal plan is to stop in and fish a day or two at the head to see how fishing is going. If fishing is slow we will go fish other areas for 3-5 days and then cone back to fish the head for a couple more. We have had years where fishing was hot at the head and spent the entire week fishing there. When it is hot and you are getting multiple fish in the 40-60# range there is nothing better in the world. The days when you fish for 14 hours and miss the only bite you had all day can be brutal. If you want to catch numbers Rivers Inlet is not the place. Feel free to PM if you are looking for some more specific details. After doing the trip for many years I have picked up a few handy tips. The Central Coast is an amazing place with lots of great opportunities to fish. The regular group of boats that fish the Head are typically very friendly and don’t mind sharing information.

Not to derail. How's the fishing in Rivers these days? I'm considering this trip for 2025. Just curious what the experience has been like. Always see posts of monsters, but I've also heard it can be spotty fishing. What's the best time of year?
You have to work hard for the big ones at Rivers Inlet.
Langara has many many more fish, but Rivers Inlet has the trophy of a lifetime.

I fished Nootka three times last year and have two trips planned for this year, it's magic. We're hunt big salmon.
Once you are at the mouth of Rivers Inlet, Shearwater is in your 30' boat, what, only about 2 hours away? Maybe your best shot at going there, if you've never been there. Just an idea.
If you at least very briefly fish Port Hardy, and Cape Caution, and Rivers Inlet, and Hakia, and Cultus, and Milbanke Sound (as other have mentioned), you're BOUND to hit "the mother load" at some point, even if some spots are completely dead. If the fish are not "in" big-time at Rivers Inlet, you might then strongly consider going "upstream" of the run (by heading north). Stop where the fishing is great....maybe you won't need to go too far.

Last edited:
Back