Fishing around comox in July

Mike1266

Hello, I will be going to the comox area with a small boat to do some fishing. I have never fished the area before, so I am wondering if there is decent fishing to be had in this area (doesn't have to be salmon, I love to bring back a rockfish or lingcod for dinner as well). I am equipped for bottom fishing (with descender on hand) as well as trolling, with crap/prawn traps if opportunities arise. (seems like a decent area for those critters).

I believe the boat is sea worthy but small (17ft). I do not want to venture too far, and looking at the charts, there seems to be some promising areas (also a lot of sand/mud so probably lots of flounders too, possibly a halibut with some crazy luck?)

I always make sure to review the regulations when I fish a new area, so reminders about catch limits/RCAs are great but unnecessary. However, if there are any notorious local sea conditions to be careful of (strong currents, underwater hazards, etc.) it would be fantastic to know.

I'm not looking for any honey holes, just directional guidance.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Mike, if you launch your boat out of Comox you can fish in front of point homes (easy to find on a map) or you could launch at Kitty Coleman and fish the humps, the launch at Kitty has no dock though but your really close to the humps which are already producing some nice fish! You can try for bottom fish at the humps or if your out fishing in front of Point Homes go out a bit farther and thers some spots you can find. Crabbing and prawning not great around Comox. Good luck!!!

Hi Mike, if you launch your boat out of Comox you can fish in front of point homes (easy to find on a map) or you could launch at Kitty Coleman and fish the humps, the launch at Kitty has no dock though but your really close to the humps which are already producing some nice fish! You can try for bottom fish at the humps or if your out fishing in front of Point Homes go out a bit farther and thers some spots you can find. Crabbing and prawning not great around Comox. Good luck!!!
Mike, as Chinook Breeze mentioned there are lots of opportunities to catch and keep fish, especially springs after July 15th around Comox. I fished out of a 12 ft and then a 14 ft Lund for over 20 years in the area. Downriggers help at Kitty Coleman to troll at 230ft for springs but jigging is also productive at Cape Lazo, the south end of Denman and Hornby Islands and out by Ajax Banks. There are a lot of coho around already so it should be great fishing in July and August, PM me if you want more details.

Back