ECVI Nanoose Reports 2012....Gerald/Ballenas and area

Was out on Saturday from 3p.m. until 7p.m.

Trolled around Winchelsea and then up to Gerald ,both sides, and then across the channel to Ballenas and back.

Tried different depths from 40ft to 200ft. All the "goto" lures plus SeaFours.

Wasn't happening..........except for P-Cod.

The kind that scares salmon away......LOL...just kidding....

It's an aluminum with a dark blue hull.

Hey Seafever, I thought you may be someone else. my boat got out yesterday with me at work. The guys went to Ballenas and fished hard and no salmon. Lots of weed and a pacific cod every time the lines were checked. Maybe bigger spoons or plugs would keep them off.......BRS

BRS......here's a thought...fight fire with fire.

Lots of baby P-Cod around. Chinook eat these.

The site I'm posting below has pictures of juvenile P-Cod....and they are much different color than adults.

Have to dig up a hoochy or spoon that matches them........LOL....just a thought but you never know.

http://www.elasmodiver.com/Pacific_Cod_Pictures.htm

I have caught a lot of springs in the area but the only springs with p cod in the bellies were 30+ lbs (saw in 3 or 4 fish that friends were cleaning last august). Therefore i think at this time of year you would be washing gear as the smaller 10-20lbers aren't really dialled in on them. That said in August when the big boys are in i will definitely try dragging some similar plugs.

Hey Seafever, once in a while I will run bait but it is more work and spoons and hootchys work just as good.........BRS

BRS......I was noticing that in Nanaimo....one day it's Army Truck hoochy,the next day all they hit is Irish Creme's, the next day all they hit is Splatterbacks....the next day all they hit is anchovies....

Picky,picky,picky fish...

Thought maybe the same ideology might apply around Gerald/Ballenas to some extent.....

X2 what BRS said. Ill fish chovies when its warranted i.e Port Canal, Little Q, Barkley Sound etc but here it just doesn't seem to be as effective as hootchies/spoons.

Well did you enjoy the launching show Glenn? Tried to launch the boat for that low tide today but was about an inch short of water.

Well did you enjoy the launching show Glenn? Tried to launch the boat for that low tide today but was about an inch short of water.

I think I could have pulled you off, but it was not a stellar day at least for us. 9.5 @ 160 on a G&W hootchie.

Pretty slow around Ballenas right now. Got out with Bushy yesterday for the afternoon and started at Ballenas and trolled for over an hour and nothing so headed to Gerald. There were a few boats around all on the outside of Gerald and didn't see any nets come out. Bushy went 0 for 3 they all semmed to run straight at him, and I released a spunky little undersize. Should start picking up soon, usually mid June things get better.....BRS

Last edited by a moderator:
Hah Kelly I did the exact same thing in Victoria. Had my 2yr old daughter all ready for her very first ride in dads boat. We get to the Esquimalt anglers launch at low tide which is usually no big deal but this wasn’t just any old low tide. I stood on the dock stunned for half a minute wondering where the hell all the water was. So I walk the dock and the water level is seriously low but given she needs to be home for a nap at a certain time I didn’t have the luxery of waiting around for a few hours for more water to come in. So I decide what the hell we are here and all geared up it’s now or not today and I was really looking forward to getting her out there. So I back the trailer in slam the brakes and the boat slides off just like it should only it stops once it’s off the trailer. I tried to push it out further myself but wasn’t getting too far. Thankfully there were a couple of guys around who didn’t mind helping me push pull and drag the boat a few feet through the mud until it was in deep enough water to float. My poor transducer I didn’t think about it until it was too late but it seemed to be working fine after. We had a great time on the water after that I was thinking my daughter would last an hour tops but we floated around out there for about 4 hours enjoying the scenery, some lunch and a dvd I brought. I dropped the lines for a little while but didn’t have any luck on a hali besides one undersize. Looks like I have a new fishing partner.

Pretty slow around Ballenas right now. Got out with Bushy yesterday for the afternoon and started at Ballenas and trolled for over an hour and nothing so headed to Gerald. There were a few boats around all on the outside of Gerald and didn't see any nets come out. Bushy went 0 for 3 they all semmed to run straight at him, and I released a spunky little undersize. Should start picking up soon, usually mid June things get better.....BRS

Picked up a 14 white outside Gerald yesterday. Today there seemed to be a bite around 3:00 pm. Lost a nice one, then the boat next to me boated one (west end of Gerald), another picked up north of Gerald and heard of another @ Ballenas, all around the same time. Depths I know of were around 140

Back