ECVI Nanoose Reports 2012....Gerald/Ballenas and area

Hey Smokin Joe, it was a green and white hootchy and a green glow flasher. French Creek Derby sounds like fun, what are the boundaries? Is Ballenas/Gerald included? Western Star what colour are your floats on the crab traps? There are two sets in NW Bay that have been there for a while, couldn't see a name maybe it was on the undersides but one had a red and white float and the other had two small white bumpers.......BRS

Thanks BRS for the crab trap information. My missing crab trap has a white/red float so I'll take a boat ride into NW Bay and check it out.

Western Star

Hey WS, if you are coming in to the bay it's about half way down on your port side it looks like its been there for a while........BRS

WS, I'm pretty sure I saw the same float on Tuesday (Aug 14) from a kayak and recall that it had a bit of growth on it. It's pretty close to the Beachcomber shore, something like 20-30 meters or so. It was right where BRS describes it so it probably isn't moving anymore :)

Droid

Out fishing off F.C. today for hours.

Same old crap lately :- baby Coho and Undersize Chinook.

Only reason I went there was to break an engine in, amongst other things.

Seems like the congregation of baitfish has disappeared........not much of anything on the fishfinder.

Slim pickings......

Maybe others did better.........very few boats out there today.

We went Sangster for a couple hours and only had one hit and we bonked a ten pounder. Coyote spoon at 150ft got the fish and the other side had bait and hootchys and everything else you can think of. Lots of bait around the fish had small herring in it's belly. There was a boat fishing in the RCA to the North of Sangster, check your regs and be aware..........BRS

French Creek Salmon Derby Boundaries Map

Hey everyone, here is a map of the French Creek Salmon Derby Boundaries.

Western Star

Attachments

• boundaries.jpg
    boundaries.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited by a moderator:
WS, I'm pretty sure I saw the same float on Tuesday (Aug 14) from a kayak and recall that it had a bit of growth on it. It's pretty close to the Beachcomber shore, something like 20-30 meters or so. It was right where BRS describes it so it probably isn't moving anymore :)

Droid
We were out there kayaking on Sunday and the float you're describing was still there. Never thought to check it out for a name or number though.
Dave

Managed to get down to Gerald yesterday for a couple hours. Trolled the inside with one side bait and the other hootchy and the bait produced two nice springs,12 and 17lb. Has been pretty slow so it was nice to get some action.......BRS

Happy thanksgiving guys! Just came in from a beauty night on the water and about to dig into some turkey.

Just south of French creek in the little bay were dozens of jumpers. Not sure if they were coho or pinks, but they weren't biting easily. We started w a coho killer on one side, and purple haze on the other. Then switched to a white squirt one one side, pink on the other. The white one got a good hit but my girlfriend didnt set the hook and it came off. That was 16' down in 25' of water, right near shore.

Anyone know if they're links or coho? Quite a few guys fly fishing from shore.

I figured if they were coho they'd be biting more aggressively and at the faster trolling speed. The one we hooked was when we were going dead slow. Made me think they were pinks.

Back