ECVI Nanoose Reports 2012....Gerald/Ballenas and area

Aug 8th 3 years ago was my best day off the Q's and i was all alone.That said i think it was just luck and would say it's to early especially considering how late everything seems this year.

BRS are you one of the lucky ones with two of those?
And Seafever, I would gladly say something about the fishing, except that all of my days lately have been exactly like today was. Less than poor.
Lure-washer

Went out for a quick fish off french creek before the lightning scared us off. What a great show! Made up for the lack of action on the water. Caught two 6" springs on the same 4" coyote spoon, one of which was bitten in half from a doggie. No decent strikes, and only saw some rock cod at the cleaning station.

That lightning show was scary. I managed to talk the wife into coming out "for an hour or two". We were about a mile off the end of Mistaken when she said she could hear thunder and I said don't worry it's the waves hitting the pod. Anyone who has an aluminum pod knows the rumbling sound when you are on a certain angle against the waves. She was right and a bolt of lightning came down off the port bow followed by a thunder and she screamed. If clearing the gear was an Olympic event we would have won gold, I almost just cut everything. I hit the throttle and got out of there and another bolt came down with a huge crackle a couple hundred yards behind us.....very close call. I had her up to 43mph wide open, glad I had the power to get out of there. She started talking to me again after dinner but probably won't see her back on the boat anytime soon. Only trolled for an hour and just some small guys and lots of weed......BRS

Hey Sculpin....

Actually I was out there yesterday off F.C.

Caught a few Coho (released).......also couple of Springs....undrsize so let go....

Have been out a few times over the last while.

each trip seems to be a carbon copy of the last one.........lots of Coho,shakers, the odd P-Cod, and a handfull of Springs that are usually too small, although I have had a couple on that were much bigger but spit the hook.

earlier on in the season I nailed a 20.

Green splatterback 38" behind a Green Haze gets most bites fished near bottom in water that is 200ft deep or deeper.
Other lures that have gotten Chinook responses:- Army Truck spoon, Army truck hoochy, Bright Green needlefish hoochy, NastyBoy spoon, and a 4" C.J. Special that was refinished to look like "Cop Car", trolled 6ft behind flasher. This lure has had the biggest hit of the year off F.C. for me so far.

I think you are right.......there are lots of people that read these posts for info but never come on the site to tell anybody anything.

I don't care......what goes around comes around so if I help someone out with info I don't mind.

Fishing French Creek so far has been like Einstein's definition of insanity:- doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

LOL

Maybe the Q's will start to heat up soon.....hopefully.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey brs if the lightning was to hit you how do i get advice ontrucks then. Be careful out there cheers newfie boy P.S If you get a chance call i am looking at one tonight

That lightning show was scary. I managed to talk the wife into coming out "for an hour or two". We were about a mile off the end of Mistaken when she said she could hear thunder and I said don't worry it's the waves hitting the pod. Anyone who has an aluminum pod knows the rumbling sound when you are on a certain angle against the waves. She was right and a bolt of lightning came down off the port bow followed by a thunder and she screamed. If clearing the gear was an Olympic event we would have won gold, I almost just cut everything. I hit the throttle and got out of there and another bolt came down with a huge crackle a couple hundred yards behind us.....very close call. I had her up to 43mph wide open, glad I had the power to get out of there. She started talking to me again after dinner but probably won't see her back on the boat anytime soon. Only trolled for an hour and just some small guys and lots of weed......BRS

That is scary just reading it, I can't imagine how you felt after seeing a lightening bolt that close.

That is scary just reading it, I can't imagine how you felt after seeing a lightening bolt that close.

It is scary. I had an encounter at a lake in the interior once. Me and two buddies were standing under a 10x12 tarp in our camp, it was pissing down rain like you see very rarely. We had to shout to talk to each other the because of the noise from the rain hitting the tarp.

Then, there was a very bright flash and an instant BOOM that was deafening.

Closest I have been to lightening, especially for a VI born and raised boy, we don't see anything like that here. I emptied the Lucky in my hand in record time. Lol

Ya it was scary, never had any problems with lightning before on the ocean and I have spent alot of time out there. Maybe the Coast Guard should have issued a weather advisory.....I was on 16 and there was no warning. Maybe I should have called them and reported it.......BRS

I was off Balleenas years ago with Gordon Bisset, and a lighting storm moved in. As we headed in, our hair started crackling, so I got down low in the boat. Unfortunately Gordon couldn't duck any lower as he was driving. Now THAT would be scary knowing you're the highest object around. Well lightning struck the water maybe 50-100' ahead of us. It was absolutely INSANE how loud and powerful the smack was. Something I'll never forget!!!!!

Missing crab traps...

If any of you are crabbing in the Craig Bay area, I would like to notify you that some of my crab traps went missing last weekend. I've crabbed in this area for a while, and this has been the first problem with missing traps. My buddy lost one a few days after mine as well. I know there are a couple of commercial boats fishing the area too, but my past experience is having no problem with these guys at all. So maybe be a little more cautious or set and pull during a fish. It's too bad this sort of thing has to happen. The missing traps floats read 'Darrell Jobb', and 'Rod Quick'. Any information would be appreciated.

Western Star

Hey Western Star, that sucks if we have more thieves around. I know sometimes they blow in Northwest bay on the far side and sometimes they get caught up in the commie gear but another guy at the marina had his traps go missing last month and he said someone else had the same problem. I will have a look next time I'm out...........BRS

Went out to Ballenas this aft for a couple hours and bonked a 25lber. My buddy had his bro out from Alberta....total newbie but had fished before on the lakes. When the fish hit my buddy grabbed it and it took off and peeled a bunch of line and I said to his bro to relax cause this one was too big for your first fish. Finally got him in the net and bonked him ans I said "the next one is yours". Well missed a couple hots after that but still had a beauty for some pics. Lots of bait showing and it was a beautiful night...BRS

Went out to Ballenas this aft for a couple hours and bonked a 25lber. My buddy had his bro out from Alberta....total newbie but had fished before on the lakes. When the fish hit my buddy grabbed it and it took off and peeled a bunch of line and I said to his bro to relax cause this one was too big for your first fish. Finally got him in the net and bonked him ans I said "the next one is yours". Well missed a couple hots after that but still had a beauty for some pics. Lots of bait showing and it was a beautiful night...BRS
Care the share what you hit it on?

French Creek Salmon Derby Aug/24-26, 2012...
Hey everyone, just a little reminder that we'll be having another local salmon derby at the end of the month. Derby headquarters will be at the French Creek Marine Pub. Tickets are $10.00/Rod, tickets available at French Creek Marina Store- (250) 248-8912, or French Creek Marine Pub-(250) 248-3713. There will be a daily largest salmon prize, as well as daily hidden weight prizes. An overall largest salmon prize, as well as a great prize table that all entrants can enter. All proceeds go to the Marion Baker Fish Hatchery on French Creek. The salmon fishing has picked up lately, with some salmon moving in on the Qualicum Rivers...Hope you can make it!
Western Star

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Smokin Joe, it was a green and white hootchy and a green glow flasher. French Creek Derby sounds like fun, what are the boundaries? Is Ballenas/Gerald included? Western Star what colour are your floats on the crab traps? There are two sets in NW Bay that have been there for a while, couldn't see a name maybe it was on the undersides but one had a red and white float and the other had two small white bumpers.......BRS

French Creek salmon Derby Boundaries...

Hey everyone, I'm working on a proper map, but basically the boundry is from Deep Bay to Collishaw Pt.-Hornby Isl. to Fegen Ilts.-Lasqueti Isl. Young Pt.-Lasqueti Isl. to Schooner Cove.

Western Star

Back