ECVI Nanoose Reports 2012....Gerald/Ballenas and area

bigredsnapper

Got the boat back in the water and headed out to Gerald for a morning troll. I was just getting the gear all set up and realized I forgot to get my new license!! Put everything away and ran in to Schooner Cove and now I'm legal again(fuel $141/litre ouch). Went back out and dropped the gear down, hootchy on one side and spoon on the other. Second pass the rod with the hootchy went crazy and got a beauty 20lber. Had to retie the hootchy so I sent down another one and continued on. Ten minutes later I pulled the side with the spoon and put down the same hootchy and bang...only a ten pounder but a good scrap. What a great morning and got the big one on video and snapped a few pics on my cell but I still have to figure out how to post a pic(Kelly are you reading this?). Might try to get out this aft I will keep you posted.............BRS

Noticing any algae out there yet?....or is the water still good.....

Heard there was a little bit of bloom off Nanaimo...

What hoochy were you using?

Congrats ..nice fish.....

Ya there was a bloom happening, crap on the line and some weed starting to show up. I don't know the name of the hootchy but it was glow white with green. Was out in January and put that same one down and got four fish all on the same hootchy.I'm sittin at my desk at work lookin outside.......I'll report later!!!! BRS

I am very jealeous Greg. I am still working on my new gps install. I was able to fish the sonar cable all the through only to find i was two feet short and had to move the transducer to a different spot. Oh well it could be worse i could have gotten sunburnt out on the water. Congrats on the fish talk soon.

Hey Newfie, maybe you should try a thru hull mount. Snuck out of work early yesterday only to get out and troll for three hours and get skunked. Oh well you know what they say...worst day of fishing etc....Another bud was out and he was skunked as well. Gotta think it will turn on real soon. BRS

Hey Kelly, the vis is OK. Sometimes when there is a bloom the water is really dark but not now, it's still ok. When are you comin over? The boat is in but unfortunately it's also time for yardwork. BRS

Hey Kelly, I got a new Hali reel for Christmas but I haven't spooled it yet. I will do it today or tomorrow, and try and rig up an anchor. I have lots of herring and everything else but there are salmon around, KT Anna got a beauty 16lber yesterday. I gotta work this aft and tomorrow morning and all day Sat. How long are you here for? BRS

Hey Kelly, I will try not to give you too much of a hard time. Anyway got out yesterday am with Kelly and his Bud and headed to Ballenas. Tried differnt gear, nothing much happening then a solid hit and Kelly has his first salmon of the year when he decides to release the fish to the fish gods. (It was only half way in) It's OK it could happen to anybody..............really. Bushy was out solo and landed a 20lber on a spoon and KT Anna was out as well and squat. Anyone fish Gerald lately? BRS

Got out this morning with Bushy and he finally christened his Islander reel. We went 2 for 3 at Gerald, bonked one 10lbs lost one and released one that would have been close. Ran over to Ballenas and released 2 and bonked another 10lber. Running hootchys and spoons and both were working. Beautiful morning wasn't even close to the bite but didn't seem to matter...............BRS

I think you had the bite. Didn't see anything happening at Gerald around low tide. Anybody have any thoughts about Sangster?

Not for me. Released 1 at Gerald. No luck at Ballenas or Winchelsea early in the day. Saw a boat tie up to the buoy @ winchelsea. Looked like divers. Hopefully it will be floating at high tide.

Ya prawning is not great right now and the commercial guys will be around soon. I don't even put my traps in when they are open, lost too much gear over the years they really don't care if you are where they want to be. They will set over top of you and kiss your traps goodbye. Went for a short troll yesterday aft for a couple hours, ran to Gerald for one pass and nothing and ran in to Schooner to fill up and then ran to Ballenas. We made a couple passes and it was slow then a pod of Killer whales came by so el skunkeroo for us but got some nice pics of the whales.........BRS

Back