ECVI Nanoose Reports 2012....Gerald/Ballenas and area

Got out yesterday with a buddy with a new licence. He's got two on there now, both at Gerald. The first one hit a spoon and when I was getting him out of the net the other rod hit and he was limited in ten minutes. Trolled for another hour or so and nothing so ran to Ballenas and lost a beauty 20ft from the boat. It was my turn and the algae on the line got so bad that the reel seized and the fish lived to fight another day. I have had crap on the line before but never that bad and never lost a fish because of it. So went 2 for three with one of us "limited out"...............BRS

Kelly are you around? Need someone else to post a report, I feel like I'm talking to myself. Snuck out to Ballenas this morning and lost a beauty(leader broke between flasher and hootchy) then bonked two 10lbers. There were a couple other boats around and a few at Gerald I will check the board later.........BRS

Haha I'm out of town for a bit Unfortantely. School, work, training and trying to get some guiding courses done. Congrats on the fish! It's killing me to read reports.

BRS

A friend picked up 2 on the Nanaimo side of the gap - 180 G&W spoon. 1 on the SC side same depth C&C 3.5 spoon.

Released 1 little guy today @ Winchelsea same depth on spackle back hoochie. Didn't see any other action @ LT. Didn't see any action at the cleaning table either.

Thanks Moon, what kind of boat do you have? I'm going to sneak out for a couple hours in the morning and again on Monday...................BRS

Didn't see anything taken @ Gerald today and heard the same about Winchelsea. I've had one report that it sounds similar @ FC

French Creek was not bad yesterday morning where we fished for a few hours. One 11lbs in the box and had another one almost in the net several times, that was in the 20lb range. Almost isn`t close enough.
We did get a dandy pacific cod, which seem to be "far between" this year.
At least the bloom is finally finished.
Lure-washer

Out off French creek today....

Caught six Chinook......2 got off (one was a biggy), 4 in the boat ,of which 3 were a tad undersize, so kept one which was a 10lb wild.

From 12 noon to 6 p.m........bite was hot up until 3 p.m., after that zilch.

Flasher:- Green Haze
Hoochy:- Splatterback needlefish, Splatterback regular, Army Truck.
Leader:- 37" from back of flasher to nose of hoochy including hardware.
depths:- 180 to 190ft of water deep. D/Balls as close to the bottom as possible.
direction:- trolling "with" the tide flow
place:- "humps" and down by the "whitedoor".

Me and my wife were in a dark blue hulled aluminum.

There was a little bit of "snot" in the water but nothing to speak of.

Seemed there was quite abit of suspended weed though here and there.

Noticed tons of activity on the sonar from 30ft to 60ft. trolled this zone for awhile but no hits there,

Could be weed,could be bait, could be small Coho or P-Cod, or jellyfish.

After 3 p.m I tried running 4" plugs by themselves.......

And I also tried 5" baitbusters, 6ft behind Green version Glow Cop Car flashers.

No hits on those but it was the first time I ever tried 'em and I was impressed with how easy it was to get a good "roll" action them. Was using Green/Glow.
Think I should have run the 4" not the 5".

Last edited by a moderator:
Got up early Sunday and was trolling the west end of Ballenas for the 5:15am bite at high slack, nothing doing. Was pretty much a vegetable for the rest of the day for my efforts...There were a few boats heading out for the low slack bite, wonder how they did?

I think we talked at the boat launch. Nice to meet you.I would say every other boat had a fish on the low. It looks like the fish are mainly migrating as they are being caught shallower than normal 120-140 and not on structure. That said we got a teener 155ft off Gerald on bottom.

Got out yesterday morning in the gale and tucked in behind Mistaken for a couple hours. Lots of weed in the water and had to clear the lines every 10 mins and every time Pacific cod!! Anyway a rare skunk but there were a few nice ones on the board and the word is shallow. Most of the fish lately have been around 120, not the usual 160 to 180ft..........BRS

Back