23 Hourston podding

I would coat up to the waterline with white interprotect 2000 much better than powder coating have not had a single chip/peel in 3 years and then bottom paint over that. Sweet project keep the posts coming.

I would coat up to the waterline with white interprotect 2000 much better than powder coating have not had a single chip/peel in 3 years and then bottom paint over that. Sweet project keep the posts coming.
I would consider doing a conversion coating on the aluminum if not done already. (acid process) makes the aluminum accept paint products including interprotect 2000E. Even if you plan to leave it bare aluminum this will reduce the corrosion greatly. Probably some guys on here that know alum better than me that can elaborate.

I would consider doing a conversion coating on the aluminum if not done already. (acid process) makes the aluminum accept paint products including interprotect 2000E. Even if you plan to leave it bare aluminum this will reduce the corrosion greatly. Probably some guys on here that know alum better than me that can elaborate.
Only have experience with anodizing but that requires the whole pod to be dipped (possible)
A little heat and roughing the surface should be good enough with some good anodes.

This page talks about what I'm suggesting. Just sanding and putting on expoy primer is okay but better to do the conversion of the aluminum first.

"When the surfaces are completely dry from the previous process, the next step is to apply Alodine® or another type of an aluminum conversion coating. This coating is also applied like a wash, allowing the coating to contact the surface and keeping it wet for 2 to 5 minutes without letting it dry. It then must be thoroughly rinsed with clean water to remove all chemical salts from the surface. Depending on the brand, the conversion coating may color the aluminum a light gold or green, but some brands are colorless. When the surface is thoroughly dry, the primer should be applied as soon as possible as recommended by the manufacturer."

This page talks about what I'm suggesting. Just sanding and putting on expoy primer is okay but better to do the conversion of the aluminum first.

"When the surfaces are completely dry from the previous process, the next step is to apply Alodine® or another type of an aluminum conversion coating. This coating is also applied like a wash, allowing the coating to contact the surface and keeping it wet for 2 to 5 minutes without letting it dry. It then must be thoroughly rinsed with clean water to remove all chemical salts from the surface. Depending on the brand, the conversion coating may color the aluminum a light gold or green, but some brands are colorless. When the surface is thoroughly dry, the primer should be applied as soon as possible as recommended by the manufacturer."
Yes in the instructions it says to use Aluma prep but apparently it’s not available in Canada. After speaking to trotac they said just to go without it I didn’t really like that answer. I’m a ways away from doing it more research pending

Got the dash filled in and A sheet of starboard plastic installed and fiddled with the bulkhead/walls tonight 4 beers worth of work A lot more fiddling with the walls to come. It’s progress

Attachments

• F5CB0BE6-A09B-4CF5-942A-353BC27CBC88.jpeg
    F5CB0BE6-A09B-4CF5-942A-353BC27CBC88.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 115
Side note I see most people are using the front mount Seastar helm (pic) on the transom compared to the bottom mount would the lower 342A18C0-97CD-4E00-9AE7-143F91B49C2E.jpegbottom mount not be a better choice as it would be 3 inches lower. Also where we getting the small steering wheels like 9 or 10 inch

Last edited:
I figure if I’m getting a tank made I might as well make it bigger...I’m going from 200 L to about 290 I cut out the bulkhead and removed the motor mounts ( I figure I got a full day of vacuuming up the dust ahead of me ) imI will put the bulkhead back in once the tank positioned
Where did end up getting a gas tank on the island by chance built for you , thanks

You want to use awlgrip max cor cf after sanding and before epoxy primer on aluminum....like sand the thing and coat it within 4 hours.....allow max cor to bark up for 24 hours them 2-4 coats of epoxy. Can also use the max cor wash primer.

If you use 545 epoxy you can wet on wet apply awlcraft or awlgrip within 24 hours so no sanding....

That's the way to do it anyone who says otherwise is missing a step. Painting aluminum sucks.

Say again ?

geez that was really butchered thanks to my smashed up phone screen...the Suzuki digital dash gauge, any idea what the physical dimensions are in terms of size of the hole needed in the dash and how deep it is? Just trying to get an idea of how this would fit into my dash as well. Cheers.

Back