22 sangster build

MongooseX

Had a 15.5' k&c w 115 merc 2 stroke tower of power 12 years and got that itch for a few extra feet.

3 years ago i got a 22' sangster powered by a 302 w alpha 1 leg that "just needed a gimble bearing" as i was told. Long story short. Leg needed work, engine needed work, water got into the transom ect.... so a upgrade was needed. What you see here took me 3 years from removal of inboard to fishing. Some pics got lost and some wouldn't upload but some did.

View media item 674So new transom w marine ply. I also added some vertical stingers to help stiffen the transom and help with load distribution.
I used many gallon of west systems for the epoxy from Trotac marine and many yards of glass from industrial plastics and paint.

View media item 672Pod built out in sidney. Very happy about the quality, fitment and form of the pod as well these boats sit butt heavy with the 302 so Mark factored that in for my build. Aswell a 650lb suzuki +kicker to be bolted onto the pod.
A shot of me starting the wiring then later drilling holes for steering, fuel and power lines.

View media item 675Hydraulic steering was needed for the 300hp Suzuki from trotac marine.

View media item 676The only pic that would load of the transom area. Lucked out by having the cooler fit in that spot nicely.

And many many more hours later. Sea trails.
View media item 665
View media item 670View media item 671
View media item 673
There was more photos but majority of them were to big to be uploaded. So these will have todo for now...
What you dont see is some stringers had tobe replaced, aswell partial floor. Gas tank had the fill, vent and supply barbs welded from the top (doghouse covered it) to side so they wernt in the middle of the floor. Custom aluminum dash piece for the new guages along with the new suzuki motor guages and control. Tinted the windows to help with keeping the heat out on hot days.

The fuel injected Suzuki df300 was a good pick for the boat. It trolls great and yet to max the boat out but have got it to 47knots w 3 people and a full 180l gas tank. 21 pitch prop i went for. Fuel consumption is way better then i first thought. My 2 stroke used more fuel for a 3rd the power! Aswell i have to look for the **** stream on the motor to see if it is running. The motor runs very quiet and smooth to where i think its not running at all. All that is needed is a matching 15hp kicker.

Theres still a few loose ends that can wait till fishing season is over but for now im glad i got it done this summer to enjoy the fishing.

And first fishing trip out netted a nice 25#!

Last edited:
Nice work! Just as an FYI if you email the pictures to yourself you will have the option to resize the pictures. Always cool to see restoration threads....more pictures are required though! Lol

Nice work. Looks like you got the balance of the boat just right with the new pod. I love the look of older boats being brought back to life. Thanks for sharing.

Back