Search results

1. B

AI Salmon Identification

Chrome starts with a C. If it has Chrome in its tail, it's a Chinook, Coho or Chum (which...all start with a C) No Chrome its a Pink or Sockeye. Pink have large oval spots on the tail, sockeye typically do not (if they do theyre round). Scale size can be used, but you have to have a frame of...
  2. B

Looking less and less likely we'll have the July 15th Chinook opening in the Strait based on this notice from DFO!

Sutil is the intersection of multiple subareas. In 15 minutes of trolling you can go from 12-15 (currently closed but soon slot), to 11-1 (currently open, 2/day) to 111 (currently open but slated for slot/1/day according to letter) to 12-14 (currently open 2/day).
  3. B

driving to Winter Harbour

I think the run from coal harbour to Holberg is better than the main road in. Cell service for 70% of it just in case you get in trouble doesn't hurt either.
  4. B

'Stop the bleeding': B.C. groups call on Alaska to halt interception of Canadian salmon

Theres a salmon treaty for a reason. They catch ours we catch theirs. What I haven't seen is how far away from the treaty this catch is. I don't know about everyone else, but I've got quite a few fish from the US since I started keeping track. And I don't get out that much
  5. B

SRKW - New Research Findings on Prey Availability

Q The conclusion wasn't but the methodology left holes...but that's often the case in environmental research...you work with what you have. I'm not saying ENGO research is any good, but this is one season. And really did anyone ever expect summer to be a limiting time?
  6. B

SRKW - New Research Findings on Prey Availability

This study is not better. It's different. But there's limitations, it's not a drain the ocean study, it's based on sounder marks validated by fishing. I know we all think we are the beat anglers...but let's be honest, dropping on a sounder mark is a crapshoot, and that's what this study...
  7. B

Tyee Pool DFO Notice

We. Need. To. Work. Together. Those who think otherwise need to give their heads a shake. If we work with the Nations, our sport, our passions, our way of life have a future. If not. You should probably seriously think about selling your boat.
  8. B

Tyee Pool DFO Notice

I don't really see what that has to do with anything. My fishing is less than it used to be but I can still live vicariously through others ;) I can see where this insanity is going though. We don't work together and by the time my youngest is out of diapers our opportunity will be horribly...
  9. B

Tyee Pool DFO Notice

Shut down the historical tyee pool...Its been a fishery for 100 years...I like coming out to watch the rowers, and I love reading Dave's stories every day the fishery is active. But we literally shut down their historical fisheries too. Forcibly destroyed fish traps. Made it illegal to Dip...
  10. B

Tyee Pool DFO Notice

For some, fishing is a right. For others its a privilege. Don't like that, get all the provinces, a majority of parliament and the Supreme Court to agree. Otherwise the group for whom it's a privilege need to learn to share the sandbox.
  11. B

Tyee Pool DFO Notice

The response to this seems strange. All of us have fished near Trollers, gillnetters, or seines...longlines etc. Do we kick up a stink then? Some do I guess, but the fact is we need to share the resource, the water, and we should be at least civil about it. If we learned to be civil and...
  12. B

Transporting cooked crab home from BC to AB

Follow the regs. That's all I have to say.
  13. B

Seymour Inlet - Prawning

Anyone ever do much prawning in Seymour Inlet? Might be spending some time up there and looking to see if its worth bringing a trap or two...or 10
  14. B

All Things COVID-19

Far more likely that someone's daughter, friend or mother gets a blood clot from birth control. Agreed for those who have a rare side effect it is nothing but critical. But for everyone else, the statistics matter.
  15. B

Prawns

In the middle of the drop off? I usually go for the bottom of those features
  16. B

What was being netted below mission bridge Apr 11

I believe The openings are for pretty limited numbers of fish...often 2 or 3. Its the nets that aren't associated with an opening that are trouble
  17. B

All Things COVID-19

Since when is context from a professional a derision of your statement? This ENTIRE thing is a numbers game. Some people will have a bad reaction to a vaccine. This could be a sore arm...or it could be a blood clot. No matter, the rate of serious adverse events is extremely low, and so far...
  18. B

What was being netted below mission bridge Apr 11

Eulachon is a thing this time of year too. Someone posted a link to fishery openings here last year and most of the early season fishing was associated with non salmon targets.
  19. B

All Things COVID-19

If the data holds, that's a pretty clearly wrong statement...so far its holding here, and more jurisdictions are finding the same. Better to vaccinate 10 million with 80%efficacy and play catchup when supply chains are established, than to poke 5 at the specified interval and leave 5 million...
  20. B

All Things COVID-19

Point of clarity, I don't believe any of the approved vaccines are gene altering. The mRNA vaccines provide the instructions for your cells to make a component of the virus, but they do not end up impacting your DNA
Back