Tyee Pool DFO Notice

Wow!!! This is a serious situation that needs a well thought out response and fast!

IMO this has less to do with FSC rights and access then it does with testing the waters to see how far FN's can go with DFO. FN's can obviously can catch all the FSC fish they need in the river using gill nets or what ever means they want to. This is more about political power then trying to catch fish to meet FSC needs/wants. In the process of exercising their access rights FN's along with DFO's spineless incompetence could seriously damage or wipe out this fishery if this isn't stopped!

If they can virtually shut down the historical Tyee Pool fishery and get away with it, then they can shut down the public fishery anywhere on the coast for any FSC or FN commercial reason. This is a big shot across the bow for the public fishery access rights! There needs to be a well thought out and coordinated response/push back from the SFAB and also from lobbying groups like SFI, BCWF, Public Fishery Alliance, SVIAC, BC Drift Fishers, West Coast Guides, etc...

NOW is the time for these groups to end any petty differences and work together to stop this! If they don't start working together to improve things for the public fishery then what is their purpose?

I and many others look forward to hear what they are planning to do in regards to this....

Shut down the historical tyee pool...Its been a fishery for 100 years...I like coming out to watch the rowers, and I love reading Dave's stories every day the fishery is active.

But we literally shut down their historical fisheries too. Forcibly destroyed fish traps. Made it illegal to Dip net...and otherwise wreaked havoc on established practices that were ongoing for a lot longer than 100 years.

Again...there's a way to share the sandbox. But the attitudes here are showing why that is impossible.

"FSC harvest activity (via permit issued by the First Nations and communicated to DFO)"
Who is in charge?
Sounds like FN 'told' DFO that they were going to net the pool...
Great observation! This is the direction that the Liberal government has chosen to take with everything “reconciliation”. Our boy really wants a seat on the UN council and he does everything to achieve that.
Something like this in other western democracies would require a referendum but here in this country, a minority government doesn’t feel the need to properly inform the public on why and how they’re “changing the tide”. This was in the news yesterday and was kind of low keyed by the media but IMO this is a very big deal right before a federal election:

“The agreement, signed by the Haida Nation, the Ministry of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation, as well as Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada, recognizes the Haida Nation’s inherent Title and Rights with respect to the geographic area.

The parties collectively stated that the negotiation agenda includes priority and long-term topics for reconciliation that will redefine the relationship between the Haida Nation, Canada and the Province. The agreement also commits to a series of good-faith measures as a starting point, which may include forestry measures, resources for governance capacity, social and cultural measures, business opportunities and fisheries and marine matters.”

Last edited:
Wow!!! This is a serious situation that needs a well thought out response and fast!

IMO this has less to do with FSC rights and access then it does with testing the waters to see how far FN's can go with DFO. FN's can obviously can catch all the FSC fish they need in the river using gill nets or what ever means they want to. This is more about political power then trying to catch fish to meet FSC needs/wants. In the process of exercising their access rights FN's along with DFO's spineless incompetence could seriously damage or wipe out this fishery if this isn't stopped!

If they can virtually shut down the historical Tyee Pool fishery and get away with it, then they can shut down the public fishery anywhere on the coast for any FSC or FN commercial reason. This is a big shot across the bow for the public fishery access rights! There needs to be a well thought out and coordinated response/push back from the SFAB and also from lobbying groups like SFI, BCWF, Public Fishery Alliance, SVIAC, BC Drift Fishers, West Coast Guides, etc...

NOW is the time for these groups to end any petty differences and work together to stop this! If they don't start working together to improve things for the public fishery then what is their purpose?

I and many others look forward to hear what they are planning to do in regards to this....
Very well said and explained. I agree 100%!

This is just the start. Take a look at the post on facebook vi salmon fishing group and see some ahousat band members taking out there commercial boats and catching as many salmon as they can. They come back and say they have 250-300 salmon. Dfo officer asks what they are doing with them. Band members say they are selling them, to who says the officer, we don't know we dont have a buyer, but its our right. This is going to get very bad real quick. Just read some of the comments on the original video that was taken by an ahousat band member and you'll see the divide coming, these are our fish, our waters etc etc. Interesting too that so many are filming the fishery officer and baiting him, they are seeing how far they can push things.

Last edited:
This is just the start. Take a look at the post on facebook vi salmon fishing group and see some ahousat band members taking out there commercial boats and catching as many salmon as they can. They come back and say they have 250-300 salmon. Dfo officer asks what they are doing with them. Band members say they are selling them, to who says the officer, we don't know we dont have a buyer, but its our right. This is going to get very bad real quick. Just read some of the comments on the original video that was taken by an ahousat band member and you'll see the divide coming, these are our fish, our waters etc etc. Interesting too that so many are filming the fishery officer and baiting him, they are seeing how far they can push things.

just watched the video, game over on WCVI, they are suppose to have a buyer lined up so the fish get counted and comes off their TAC. Obviously it’s just free reign to do what ever

Last edited:
Shut down the historical tyee pool...Its been a fishery for 100 years...I like coming out to watch the rowers, and I love reading Dave's stories every day the fishery is active.

But we literally shut down their historical fisheries too. Forcibly destroyed fish traps. Made it illegal to Dip net...and otherwise wreaked havoc on established practices that were ongoing for a lot longer than 100 years.

Again...there's a way to share the sandbox. But the attitudes here are showing why that is impossible.
Ya dude has never posted a fishing report? Maybe this is the wrong forum for you?

Let’s not forget Commercial Fishery depends on buyers. Wonder why the Ecco groups aren’t mounting a boycott campaign against unmonitored catch that ignores conservation targets? Well actually I don’t.

Ya dude has never posted a fishing report? Maybe this is the wrong forum for you?

I don't really see what that has to do with anything. My fishing is less than it used to be but I can still live vicariously through others ;)

I can see where this insanity is going though. We don't work together and by the time my youngest is out of diapers our opportunity will be horribly eroded.

I'll leave it at this, there are examples of adversarial fisheries occurring throughout the province. There are also examples where the sectors decided to sit down together and come up with a mutually respectful management plan. These areas have a strong and certain future.

As I said before though, if we don't want to entertain that the Nations have inherent rights...either get a national campaign together to overturn the constitution (specifically S.35)...or quite griping and start working together.

start working together.

my experience is that people working hard for the recreational community do just that but also can't expect them to roll over and accept the loss of opportunity at every corner.

pink, sockeye, chum we are already largely taking the shaft on that one tho you could call it working together. Coho were limited to pretty much hatchery only. Chinook yes we do take a lot tho last time i looked it was something like 40% rec, 20% FN, 20% com. tho its probably closer now to like 40%,40%, 20%.

last time i looked there are far more FN only fisheries then rec only fisheries.

there is also some hard structural issues where 10-20-30 different bands are involved in the fishery. Areas were there are a few band its far easier to work towards a combyyah style.

This thread pains me to read and that ******* video is even more painful to watch, especially near the end. Imagine being that DFO officer? What a terrible, terrible situation to be put in. Trying to do your job but being pigeon holed by everyone higher in the ranks. This is an impossible situation. I understand the right to FSC but its always been Conservation before FSC and I think the feds, courts and FN themselves have forgotten this. Furthermore, if they want their FSC they should have to adapt to the times and change their fishing methods as the current way they do things, is contributing to the demise of the fish populations. (Not just FN fishing methods, I want to make this clear as I don't want to blame or shame as there is variety of factors contributing to this)

I read the latest story on Chek news about the Ahousaht fisherman and I decided to email the writer of the story. I asked them to write a story about the other side of it. Gill nets in the Fraser, Gill nets in The Tyee pool, unsustainable use of gill nets in Alberni. Obviously, I chose my words carefully as to not come off as a biggot. I recommend you email the same person that I emailed. It will be easy for him to ignore my one email. But say everyone following this thread emailed him... then maybe he will do a story that sticks up for Salmon. I don't want the story he is going to write turn into a us vs them vs them story then the whole point of it is lost in translation and it will be the only thing other people take from it. It needs to be a story for the fish, about the fish in order to save the fish. Hopefully, even if you disagree with my last 2 sentences, you will still email the writer and flood this mans email bin.

Collectively all 3 sides have a common enemy (Provincial and Federal Governments, no matter the party) and I do recall there being a saying for this. Hopefully this quote fits as my brain likes to make links where there isn't any but I shall try.
"The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

Here is the link, and his email is located at the bottom of the story.

This thread pains me to read and that ******* video is even more painful to watch, especially near the end. Imagine being that DFO officer? What a terrible, terrible situation to be put in. Trying to do your job but being pigeon holed by everyone higher in the ranks. This is an impossible situation. I understand the right to FSC but its always been Conservation before FSC and I think the feds, courts and FN themselves have forgotten this. Furthermore, if they want their FSC they should have to adapt to the times and change their fishing methods as the current way they do things, is contributing to the demise of the fish populations. (Not just FN fishing methods, I want to make this clear as I don't want to blame or shame as there is variety of factors contributing to this)

I read the latest story on Chek news about the Ahousaht fisherman and I decided to email the writer of the story. I asked them to write a story about the other side of it. Gill nets in the Fraser, Gill nets in The Tyee pool, unsustainable use of gill nets in Alberni. Obviously, I chose my words carefully as to not come off as a biggot. I recommend you email the same person that I emailed. It will be easy for him to ignore my one email. But say everyone following this thread emailed him... then maybe he will do a story that sticks up for Salmon. I don't want the story he is going to write turn into a us vs them vs them story then the whole point of it is lost in translation and it will be the only thing other people take from it. It needs to be a story for the fish, about the fish in order to save the fish. Hopefully, even if you disagree with my last 2 sentences, you will still email the writer and flood this mans email bin.

Collectively all 3 sides have a common enemy (Provincial and Federal Governments, no matter the party) and I do recall there being a saying for this. Hopefully this quote fits as my brain likes to make links where there isn't any but I shall try.
"The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

Here is the link, and his email is located at the bottom of the story.
emailed thanks for the link
its a shame.

Back