All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vastly different rhetoric coming out of the US vs Canada. US is getting ready to end this and Canada is FEAR FEAR FEAR the variants.
I'm a dual citizen, and am in the US right now. The news here is all hopeful, cases are dropping rapidly, vaccine administration is ramping up quickly, The J&J vaccine is about to get approved, Studies out of Israel are showing real world efficacy of the Pfizer vaccine is excellent, it was effective against the UK variant, and that it prevents transmission of the disease. Restrictions have eased. Bars and restaurants aren't allowed full capacity yet, but will soon. You can visit friends and family. Pretty much everyone over 65 has been vaccinated at least one dose, and they are moving on to teachers and other front line workers.

Then I read or watch the Canadian news. No one can move or visit anyone. the variants are going to take over and kill everyone. The provincial governments cant even get web sites for the vaccines up and running, many health care workers aren't vaccinated and Trudeau gets on the news like the grim reaper every day promising there will be vaccines by SEPTEMBER (maybe, maybe not).

The Canadian government doesn't seem to want to acknowledge it, but the worst has passed and it getting better. . Its time to put plans in place for getting back to work, travel and social interactions.

It's going to be interesting to see how people are feeling in a few months. At the rate the US is going, they're currently doling out about 1.5 million vaccines a day, and accelerating - this time last month it was a million a day.

In 90 days, even figuring minimal increase in speed, less than they've been doing so far, they'll be approaching 200 million vaccinations, on top of the ~63 million they've given out so far. They'll be through every high and medium risk category, and into vaccinating people who are at essentially no risk at all, just because.

I wonder if they'll take pity on us and help? Because at the rate we're going, in 90 days, we'll do another what, 3-4 million vaccinations? Maybe through our highest risk category?

Oh well, maybe the CanSino vaccine will magically appear.

JandJ vaccine approved in the states today, and oxford vaccine approved in canada today.

YAY!

J&J is manufactured like flu vaccine and is not a gene modifying version

J&J’s vaccine differs from authorized shots from Moderna Inc. and the partnership of Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE, which rely on messenger RNA to turn cells into vaccine factories. It instead uses a non-replicating cold virus called an adenovirus to stimulate an immune response, preparing the body to fight Covid-19.

The J&J shot is highly anticipated because it could make it easier to quickly vaccinate people in far-flung places. While the mRNA vaccines require two doses for their full benefits to take hold, J&J’s single-shot regimen is less complicated to administer. It also can be kept in a refrigerator for three months, an advantage over the mRNA vaccines that must be frozen when stored for longer periods.

Last edited:

I’m an Acute care trauma nurse in Victoria, finally getting my 1st dose of vaccine tomorrow. Currently a huge blitz underway immunizing acute care staff In Victoria, I got no word on when second dose will be given but thankfully we are starting to get more needles in arms. Let’s stay smart and safe and hopefully we will be out of this sooner rather than later!

I’m an Acute care trauma nurse in Victoria, finally getting my 1st dose of vaccine tomorrow. Currently a huge blitz underway immunizing acute care staff In Victoria, I got no word on when second dose will be given but thankfully we are starting to get more needles in arms. Let’s stay smart and safe and hopefully we will be out of this sooner rather than later!
Do us all a favor and yell "finally" when they stick you.

Trivia night that led to Burnaby daycare outbreak linked to 300 COVID-19 cases​

A pub trivia night that led to an outbreak at Burnaby’s largest daycare has resulted in more than 300 COVID-19 cases, Dr. Bonnie Henry told a news conference Thursday.

B.C.’s provincial health officer provided the number as she described the complex series of factors she is monitoring before she can decide whether to loosen or tighten restrictions in the coming days.

Among the issues she is watching is the recent “uptick” in the reproductive rate of COVID-19 transmission, which she said has been above one in Fraser Health and the Vancouver Coastal health region, as well the percentage of test positive cases, which is 8% in Fraser Health compared to 6.7% in the rest of B.C.

“It’s like a tree that keeps growing and spreading, but we need to keep cases low and slow so we can control that. We are continuing to watch these indicators and when we have confidence that they are slowing in a sustained way, that is when we will be able to ease restrictions,” Henry said.

The exposure at St. James’s Well in Port Moody was flagged by Fraser Health, which resulted in the pub being closed for several days and WorkSafeBC conducting an investigation requiring the pub to update its COVID-19 safety plan by adding supervised daily health checks for its 28 workers. The pub also implemented a policy requiring patrons to wear masks in any space shared with workers or other members of the public.

That exposure was linked to an outbreak at the SFU Childcare Society on Burnaby Mountain, with at least 28 cases in staff and children.

A representative from B.C.’s Alliance of Beverage Licensees told The Tri-City News the transmission at the Newport Village pub occurred when an asymptomatic patron left their table and interacted with another group.

Health officials have never named the pub, but St. James’s Well was identified on the Fraser Health website when it listed the exposure notification and asked people to self-monitor for symptoms.

The exposure event remains on the website.

While not naming the Port Moody pub, Henry said a pub she talked about before was responsible for hundreds of COVID-19 cases.
“We talked last week about the event of a pub. That led to over 300 people being affected, including transmission in a day care, transmission in a school, transmission in a number of other workplaces and in families.

“These are the chains of transmission we need to stop as soon as we can and that’s why we pay attention to not only the overall numbers and how they’re moving, but numbers in different communities and where those transmission events are happening,” Henry said.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/...linked-to-300-covid-19-cases-dr-henry-3462170

J&J is manufactured like flu vaccine and is not a gene modifying version

J&J’s vaccine differs from authorized shots from Moderna Inc. and the partnership of Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE, which rely on messenger RNA to turn cells into vaccine factories. It instead uses a non-replicating cold virus called an adenovirus to stimulate an immune response, preparing the body to fight Covid-19.

The J&J shot is highly anticipated because it could make it easier to quickly vaccinate people in far-flung places. While the mRNA vaccines require two doses for their full benefits to take hold, J&J’s single-shot regimen is less complicated to administer. It also can be kept in a refrigerator for three months, an advantage over the mRNA vaccines that must be frozen when stored for longer periods.

Point of clarity, I don't believe any of the approved vaccines are gene altering. The mRNA vaccines provide the instructions for your cells to make a component of the virus, but they do not end up impacting your DNA

Her White Rock care home gave my mom the 2nd round of the vaccination today. Her memory issues make the once a week 15 minute masked outdoor plexiglassed visits from my sister (designated visitor) harrowing, so I look forward to being able to visit soon. I haven't seen her in person for 13 months.

Point of clarity, I don't believe any of the approved vaccines are gene altering. The mRNA vaccines provide the instructions for your cells to make a component of the virus, but they do not end up impacting your DNA
This is accurate. mRNA vaccines can not impact your DNA. Once inside the cell, the mRNA comes into contact with the protein making-machinery, located in the cytoplasm filling the cell. It doesn’t enter the nucleus, which is where our chromosomes and DNA are located. It has a short life, maybe 72 hours before it degrades. All it does is allow the specific proteins encoded on it to be produced, which causes an immune response from our body, and readies the immune system to fight the proteins if they are encountered again. This is why the second Pfizer or Moderna shot has more adverse events, and will sometimes cause some mild flu like symptoms.

The mRNA vaccines have efficacy of 95%, and are now being shown to prevent infection in 90% of patients meaning you are very unlikely to carry the virus or spread it to others. The J&J vaccine is a single shot, but less effective, about 72% and less against new variants. I will only get the Pfizer shot, not the J&J one for that reason, and for the proven protective action of the mRNA shots. You will be better protected, and so will your family and friends.

It will be interesting to see in the US if people will accept the J&J shot, or hold out for mRNA. There are 220 million mRNA doses being delivered between Moderna and Pfizer in March in the US, so vaccines will not be in short supply.

That technology has been around since 2012 as it was developed as a possible cancer treatment

J&J now fully approved in usa, 6 million ready to go out the door with another 100 million by June. One dose series. Very big deal! another big step!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back