Tyee Pool DFO Notice

Totally agree. With all the cash Trudeau is throwing around why not build a state of the art Fish Wheel on the Campbell and to showcase a better way forward that will work to everyones including the salmon's benefit?
The first order of business is to vote that piece of crap out of office on September 20. Then Horrible Horgan next. We need government that will stand up instead of just rolling over.

For some, fishing is a right. For others its a privilege. Don't like that, get all the provinces, a majority of parliament and the Supreme Court to agree.

Otherwise the group for whom it's a privilege need to learn to share the sandbox.

For some, fishing is a right. For others its a privilege. Don't like that, get all the provinces, a majority of parliament and the Supreme Court to agree.

Otherwise the group for whom it's a privilege need to learn to share the sandbox.
Yeah right a privledge, the amount of money spent to keep Campbell River Salmon Capital of the World, You can bet not a penny to keep this fishery alive comes from FN.

they have the right to fish but the crown still has the right to manage it. In this case the crown, Ottawa or really the liberals PMO office. has chosen this method of management.

I'm not in agreement with it and therefore am not support them at election time.

The Old Storm Trooper who used to post was right when he stated Sportfishers need to work with FN for common ground solutions. Niether FN or SportFishers are going to build a Fish Wheel which can hopefully be shown to become an effective tool to be used as a better way forward than using nets in terminal Fisheries. That would be funded with Federal taxpayer dollars. There has to be a sollution to accomodate all the different users of, and the resource itself.
Going down the different government will give a different outcome in thecourts within the current legal framework route is a waste of time that we no longer have and won't change anything anyway.
Lets try something different before there is nothing left to argue about.

they have the right to fish but the crown still has the right to manage it. In this case the crown, Ottawa or really the liberals PMO office. has chosen this method of management.

I'm not in agreement with it and therefore am not support them at election time.
The Crown really!!! It’s been 4 years and they still haven’t figured out they’re own payroll system!!! And this is what’s supposed to manage our fisheries. Give me a break.

"FSC harvest activity (via permit issued by the First Nations and communicated to DFO) may also include the use of power boats during the day time in the Tyee Pool and all users of the Tyee Pool are urged to use caution and be considerate of each other while fishing. FSC harvesters are requested to fish with minimal vessel wake for the safety of rowers and other human powered boats. Any safety issues or conflicts during the fishery will result in action being taken to mitigate the issues."

What does this part of the DFO notification mean? Reads as FN issued permit to themselves and advised DFO they were going to do this?
I'm unclear. I'm not sure how these processes work.

Also sounds like there is a Transport Canada restriction to motors in those waters. Can that not be an angle to shut it down?

The locals, the Tyee Club and the local lodges must be up in arms.
Every row boat available should be on the water that day. Peacefully fishing.

Summary
Gillnet at night with powerboats
Powerboats, fish how you like in the daytime ( no gillnets though ) but try your best to keep your wake down at all times
Rowers get off the water and stay the hell out of the way of the gillnets and powerboats at night.
Rowers, watch out for daytime powerboats.
Conflict is anticipated and in fact almost guaranteed to happen with the above framework
Conflict likely=rowers off the water.

If this keeps going the way we all see it going, need to import some boys/girls from back east, Canada saw what happened in the lobster fiasco,

The Old Storm Trooper who used to post was right when he stated Sportfishers need to work with FN for common ground solutions. Niether FN or SportFishers are going to build a Fish Wheel which can hopefully be shown to become an effective tool to be used as a better way forward than using nets in terminal Fisheries. That would be funded with Federal taxpayer dollars. There has to be a sollution to accomodate all the different users of, and the resource itself.
Going down the different government will give a different outcome in thecourts within the current legal framework route is a waste of time that we no longer have and won't change anything anyway.
Lets try something different before there is nothing left to argue about.
I saw Stormtrooper last Saturday when I stopped in at PNT. He looked like he was doing well. We all should have heeded some of his warnings!

I am not going to get into it much. I would like to know the reasoning from Rebecca Reid our regional director.

I am not in the know on this one, but away from that it is a very poor decision. These conflict fisheries need to end. The FN opening should be way from this area. A gillnet regardless of sector should not be allowed here.

FN is entitled to harvest. It isn't harvest that is issue it is method of harvest here in that zone. Why not have a hook and line non powered boat? A gillnet in tyee pool shouldn't be allowed.

Nope. I think there is more too it. Belive it our not there are things that happen in real world out of the forum.

I know that is shocking... but it does actually happen.
Ok just speculating but based on my dealings with DFO, in "the real world", FN undoubtedly was pushing for more. Maybe close the tyee pool entirely, unregulated gillnetting, maybe seine it, maybe have a fee for access, who knows what they were trying for. Maybe this was a trade off to allow people to continue to fish in the river. Being all kumbayah and working together certainly wouldn't be on the FN agenda. In the end, "in the real world" DFO ended up putting together the package of new regs that we have seen. It could have been much worse.

Ok just speculating but based on my dealings with DFO, in "the real world", FN undoubtedly was pushing for more. Maybe close the tyee pool entirely, unregulated gillnetting, maybe seine it, maybe have a fee for access, who knows what they were trying for. Maybe this was a trade off to allow people to continue to fish in the river. Being all kumbayah and working together certainly wouldn't be on the FN agenda. In the end, "in the real world" DFO ended up putting together the package of new regs that we have seen. It could have been much worse.

Could be trade off. Tough to say without knowing what was discussed.

Okay onefish tell how it could have been worse? Gill nets everywhere in management area 13-5. Power boats running through the pool as row boats are fishing. It couldn’t get much worse.

Wow!!! This is a serious situation that needs a well thought out response and fast!

IMO this has less to do with FSC rights and access then it does with testing the waters to see how far FN's can go with DFO. FN's can obviously can catch all the FSC fish they need in the river using gill nets or what ever means they want to. This is more about political power then trying to catch fish to meet FSC needs/wants. In the process of exercising their access rights FN's along with DFO's spineless incompetence could seriously damage or wipe out this fishery if this isn't stopped!

If they can virtually shut down the historical Tyee Pool fishery and get away with it, then they can shut down the public fishery anywhere on the coast for any FSC or FN commercial reason. This is a big shot across the bow for the public fishery access rights! There needs to be a well thought out and coordinated response/push back from the SFAB and also from lobbying groups like SFI, BCWF, Public Fishery Alliance, SVIAC, BC Drift Fishers, West Coast Guides, etc...

NOW is the time for these groups to end any petty differences and work together to stop this! If they don't start working together to improve things for the public fishery then what is their purpose?

I and many others look forward to hear what they are planning to do in regards to this....

Back