Tyee Pool DFO Notice

The response to this seems strange.

All of us have fished near Trollers, gillnetters, or seines...longlines etc. Do we kick up a stink then? Some do I guess, but the fact is we need to share the resource, the water, and we should be at least civil about it.

If we learned to be civil and recognize others interests and rights may also be valid...we might even see opportunity for positive collaboration. Certainly not going to see that with attitudes like those expressed here.

The response to this seems strange.

All of us have fished near Trollers, gillnetters, or seines...longlines etc. Do we kick up a stink then? Some do I guess, but the fact is we need to share the resource, the water, and we should be at least civil about it.

If we learned to be civil and recognize others interests and rights may also be valid...we might even see opportunity for positive collaboration. Certainly not going to see that with attitudes like those expressed here.
Yes be civil about it and recognize others interests…. Don’t Gill Net snd run power boats in the Tyee pool!!!

the Tyee pool is sort of like the head of rivers inlet. Its a special management zone that is also recognized by TC. It is of such significance that its boundaries and gear restrictions are written on your license. CR fish tend to school up at the mouth creating a unique fishery that exists nowhere else on the West Coast. It is a pretty cool traditional fishery started almost 100 years ago which gives the fish a very fair chance. I understand now that most of the CR fish are hatchery and have no problem with FN's fisheries targeting them, especially with the recent years returns. That being said it is possible to conduct fisheries which would have a much lower impact on the iconic Tyee Pool. It would be easy to gillnet in the lower reaches of the river and still harvest ocean fresh high quality fish. I expect heavy netting will drastically effect the pool in a negative way. I am all for sharing the resource but this movement does not support good quality relationships with FN's in CR and BC. I know we can do this better with the goal to have more fish for all and not just a redistribution of resources. Given the low impact nature of the tyee pool and the catch a fish, kill a fish mentality there it seems like it would fit the fish for food mantra given put forth by the FN's. I guess it is a trophy hunt and that doesn't fly but is it really when the average size of a CR chinook is probably in the 25-35# range?.....Most of the boats only get 1-2 shots at fish per season so pretty low impact. I just don't understand some of these decisions. Very unfortunate.

the Tyee pool is sort of like the head of rivers inlet. Its a special management zone that is also recognized by TC. It is of such significance that its boundaries and gear restrictions are written on your license. CR fish tend to school up at the mouth creating a unique fishery that exists nowhere else on the West Coast. It is a pretty cool traditional fishery started almost 100 years ago which gives the fish a very fair chance. I understand now that most of the CR fish are hatchery and have no problem with FN's fisheries targeting them, especially with the recent years returns. That being said it is possible to conduct fisheries which would have a much lower impact on the iconic Tyee Pool. It would be easy to gillnet in the lower reaches of the river and still harvest ocean fresh high quality fish. I expect heavy netting will drastically effect the pool in a negative way. I am all for sharing the resource but this movement does not support good quality relationships with FN's in CR and BC. I know we can do this better with the goal to have more fish for all and not just a redistribution of resources. Given the low impact nature of the tyee pool and the catch a fish, kill a fish mentality there it seems like it would fit the fish for food mantra given put forth by the FN's. I guess it is a trophy hunt and that doesn't fly but is it really when the average size of a CR chinook is probably in the 25-35# range?.....Most of the boats only get 1-2 shots at fish per season so pretty low impact. I just don't understand some of these decisions. Very unfortunate.
Very well said! The First Nations of Campbell River area should have their opportunity to harvest their allowable catch. Fisheries have to be conducted in a manner that is sustainable and respectful of all community members. As you point out there are alternative options where this Harvest could take place. There has been efforts made to transition to fish traps. This is where we need to see these type of Fisheries moved too! Very poor decision made directly linked to the Prime Minister's office. Most DFO staff are only the pawns being told what to do, other than when you get to the very top! It's time for change and we need to rise up together!

I just saw this and am wondering why the local natives can't keep harvesting Chinook up in the river near the end of Maple Street like they have been doing in the past?

Once the fish are in the river and out of the Tyee Pool they were fair game and even though it looked horrible the snagging and harvesting didn't involve gill-nets and boats motoring through the pool.

I am sick to my stomach over this.

Take care.

One of those situations where there could be a 100% good quality outcome but now its going to be war instead. Would be a great way to strengthen relations with FN's but like usual its all about power and $$.
Was hoping to be able to row the pool in the next few years but with this coming down the line it looks like poop. It also sounds like if there is a peaceful protest in the pool between 10PM and 4AM then rec fishing privilege's will be revoked...talk about a gun to your head. I would be happy to lose my fishing privilege's to the pool by way of protest.....

I am a man who deliberately stays out of political debates as i firmly believe this entire world is broken and beyond repair by mankind.

This is yet another example. I am from CR ; have never rowed in the pool,nor will i ever. i have so much respect for the gals and guys that do.

This makes zero sense….like…zero.

As others have stated, there is opportunities to harvest FSC elsewhere; why do they have to gillnet the tyee pool? why do they insist on using nets at all?

If you look at the success rate of the rowers in the tyee pool, they rarely harvest fish; this is about passion. about the simplicity of it all.

Gillnets and power boats in the tyee pool…just……wow

I don’t think bitching on a fishing forum is going to get us anywhere.

Why could this not be on the news and be presented as a situation where the angling community has been following certain rules, supporting conservation efforts and all of a sudden the government decides to expose the run to gill netting? Anyone here has good connections with the tv networks who can elevate the profile of this problem?

I don’t think bitching on a fishing forum is going to get us anywhere.

Why could this not be on the news and be presented as a situation where the angling community has been following certain rules, supporting conservation efforts and all of a sudden the government decides to expose the run to gill netting? Anyone here has good connections with the tv networks who can elevate the profile of this problem?

It lacks details as of yet to take to the news imo

LesThere are opportunities to harvest fish in lots of other spots than the tyee pool. This is about flexing your muscles and disrespecting your community it has had an almost Hundred Year tradition going on!
I agree totally with this statement cohochinook, It’s all about flexing muscles and disrespect. We can flex our muscles back and stop shopping at stores on FN land. It wouldn’t be long before the big box stores started moving on. There are plenty of other stores to shop at.

Yes be civil about it and recognize others interests…. Don’t Gill Net snd run power boats in the Tyee pool!!!
100% agree. This is different than fishing beside a troller on WVCI or Fraser mouth. This is a cultural and historical fishing spot that is reserved for a traditional method of fishing. This is a big deal and it's not about learning to share, it is the Tyee pool. It's the only place like it on the entire BC coast where you are required to row/cast ONLY while targeting CN salmon. If FN want to fish it by all means get in a row boat and go drag some plugs.

i took this shot last night. imagine a smoky gillnetter in the background….yes i see the time restrictions….just sayin’

Attachments

• 350A66C4-C92B-4AEE-B327-E951A6E2228E.jpeg
    350A66C4-C92B-4AEE-B327-E951A6E2228E.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 47
Probably worth while to wait and see what come from the local Recreational fishing leaders in the area about what was discussed before this announcement before we light our hair on fire and the details.

I’ll be glade to lend my support in anyway but it like to hear from the leaders in the area First.

One of those situations where there could be a 100% good quality outcome but now its going to be war instead. Would be a great way to strengthen relations with FN's but like usual its all about power and $$.
Was hoping to be able to row the pool in the next few years but with this coming down the line it looks like poop. It also sounds like if there is a peaceful protest in the pool between 10PM and 4AM then rec fishing privilege's will be revoked...talk about a gun to your head. I would be happy to lose my fishing privilege's to the pool by way of protest.....
Totally agree. With all the cash Trudeau is throwing around why not build a state of the art Fish Wheel on the Campbell and to showcase a better way forward that will work to everyones including the salmon's benefit?

Back