Tyee Pool DFO Notice

I don't really see what that has to do with anything. My fishing is less than it used to be but I can still live vicariously through others ;)

I can see where this insanity is going though. We don't work together and by the time my youngest is out of diapers our opportunity will be horribly eroded.

I'll leave it at this, there are examples of adversarial fisheries occurring throughout the province. There are also examples where the sectors decided to sit down together and come up with a mutually respectful management plan. These areas have a strong and certain future.

As I said before though, if we don't want to entertain that the Nations have inherent rights...either get a national campaign together to overturn the constitution (specifically S.35)...or quite griping and start working together.
I do respect your opinion. I hope we can work through this and not destroy the fishery.

Emailed the author of the Ahousat story. I Feel for that officer, truly walking on eggshells to not be called a racist. 250 chinook with no buyer...

The Tyee pool is not conducive to gill netting. This year most of the fish are hanging south of the pool. Mostly just posturing and politics.
I think they should trap and selectively take fish from the tidal river pool near Maple street. The FN's already snag them there anyways.
Pretty much all the returning fish are hatchery.

It was their land long before whitey came along and took it. All parties need to work together.

Last edited:
We. Need. To. Work. Together.

Those who think otherwise need to give their heads a shake. If we work with the Nations, our sport, our passions, our way of life have a future. If not. You should probably seriously think about selling your boat.

I don’t get the logic here and frankly this type of rhetoric is pretty ignorant.

firstly First Nations what represents 4% of the bc population so if we fairness and working together based on population they would what get 4% of the harvest??

or how about we use taxes as a metric of access pay your share and contribute and we all partake equatable.

how about access to post secondary education or access to social programs like speech therapy ect

also we’re now into the 20th Century, they ain’t all living in trailer parks on a reserve. Lots are well educated and have good paying jobs. They ain’t starving for fish.

Also cut the crap First Nations are not some bed wetting children. They are seasoned negotiators that know how to work a room and audience. The working together crybaby’s at the table who break down into tears during negotiations need to grow a pair.

read the letter, the audience is not other First Nations it’s for sympathetic, cry babies just itching to come to the plight of First Nation.

you want to give away your share go ahead but stop telling me I need to give away mine.

why do you feel so guilty like you have wronged them on some way?! What did you do? Now you want to give them some fish, how generous of you

Last edited:
I think the 4% argument is a purposely misleading narrative for so many reasons:
1/ Who cares really whether it is 4%, 10% or any number? It is totally irrelevant in the context of both Constitutional and case law,
2/ That number is very much higher in non-urban places on the coast often approaching +50% on the North and Central Coasts.
3/ The pre-existing indigenous aboriginal community was decimated at contact thru diseases such as smallpox and tuberculous to ~10-15% of the pre-contact numbers,
4/ The honour of the Crown is not dependent upon the population size
5/ Rights and Titles have never been extinguished, except by Treaties - and most of BC didn't have any treaties until recently.

Having to feel guilty to acknowledge the above points?

Again, a misleading and unsupported narrative that attempts to delegitimize these realities.

As cuttle said - welcome to the 21st century - instead of whining about change - maybe try being in the forefront of that change. It's happening regardless of the whining.

I think the 4% argument is a purposely misleading narrative for so many reasons:
1/ Who cares really whether it is 4%, 10% or any number? It is totally irrelevant in the context of both Constitutional and case law,
2/ That number is very much higher in non-urban places on the coast often approaching +50% on the North and Central Coasts.
3/ The pre-existing indigenous aboriginal community was decimated at contact thru diseases such as smallpox and tuberculous to ~10-15% of the pre-contact numbers,
5/ Rights and Titles have never been extinguished, except by Treaties - and most of BC didn't have any treaties until recently.

Again, a misleading and unsupported narrative that attempts to delegitimize these realities.

As cuttle said - welcome to the 21st century - instead of whining about change - maybe try being in the forefront of that change. It's happening regardless of the whining.

I think on settlement it's estimated that 60% of First Nations populations were wiped out. I get it wasn't our generation, but we are only a generation removed from the atrocities of residential schools and other assimilation activities.

yes and I don’t disagree with any of that you know that

I just don’t think fishery’s need to bear the brunt of the cost of reconciliation.

start garnishing people’s wages equally

put a nice FN tax on the end of every sales receipt

Last edited:
Resources are easy for the govt to reallocate (give away) as it does not involve a direct cash payment and the vast majority of people are unaffected and don't give a damn about things like fish. A few people ( see this forum ) are really pissed, the rest just shrug.

Back