driving to Winter Harbour

Fishdreamer

Crew Member
We'll be driving to Winter Harbour in a couple of days and were thinking of taking the long way in through Coal Harbour. Has anyone driven the road from Coal Harbour to Winter Harbour ? Just wondering what kind of shape it's in and if directions are well marked, I don't always trust my GPS on back roads.

I've trailered a 20' center console into Winter Harbour 3 times over the past 4 years, last time was in July. It's perfectly fine. Go slow and you won't have any problems at all. I've never had any issues, no flat tires etc. The road is well marked, just pay attention at the intersections and follow the signs. There are some sections closer to Winter Harbour with moderate potholes. I've never seen much sharp rock on the road to cause concern about tires.

Watch out for logging traffic. I have had to back up to a pull out to let a truck pass.

Edit: Just noticed you are looking at the road from Coal Harbour, I can't comment on that route. I've only taken the Holberg Rd.

Last edited:
I think the run from coal harbour to Holberg is better than the main road in. Cell service for 70% of it just in case you get in trouble doesn't hurt either.

You need some local knowledge. It was closed last year for some bridge maintenance, I think.
One of our party was told to take that route and it turned out to be quite scenic because he had to go back out to the main road.
He did meet Harry Hole and checked out his 'museum', so that added to the story.

Back