ECVI Nanoose Reports 2012....Gerald/Ballenas and area

Kelly
Just after you left the whales there was a bite on at Gerald. It seemed like only half an hour. 10 (released) , 18, and another released possibly larger. Another fellow was into a few after he went deeper as well. Called on the vhf but couldn't raise you. Whale show moved on to SC.

Ya we missed the bite while goofing around with Lings which was to bad. Lost one spring later in the day, landed a small one and a big snapper. Had an interesting event with BRS regarding the whales...... Will post later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ill post the whole story and photos tomorrow. Long story short a seal tried to use gregs rig to escape the pod of killer whales. Made for an eventful 15 minutes! Heres a little teaser.

Now you see him.....

whale1.jpg

Now you don't!

whale3.jpg

Went to Gerald for a couple hours yesterday for a troll and Bushy got a nice 25lber. Ther were about half a dozen boats around and we saw a few fish being landed. Once again a hootchy was the winner. We did have a couple hits that didn't stick and it was pretty choppy out there and managed to get back in time and avoid any stray seals.......BRS

Released two shakers and kept one 10lb at Gerald today around 5:00pm. All on hootchies even tho I started with bait and spoons. Around 150ft.

Hey Moon, there are fish around. Managed to get my sweetheart out for a couple hours and it was fun. The only thing she ever uses is an army truck hootchy on a green flasher at 110ft. Well half way on the first pass at Ballenas her rod goes crazy and she did a great job for about ten minutes til i cleared both sides. I knew it was a big fish and I was about to grab the net and he got off. Oh well first time out this year for her I should have taken over I could see she was getting tired. Lines back down 20 min later and same thing only way smaller fish. So both fish on her side so what does any good fisherman do? I put on an army truck and shortly after that my rod hits and I made sure it was hooked and let him scrap for a bit then handed it over and she did a great job. Fifteen pounder in the net! Then she looks at the fish and says "let it go". But I used the net I have to bonk him he won't make it.....you heard me "let him go" Damn women can't argue with them bye bye salmon. I revived it and he it took a couple minutes but he took off strong. Was a good night .......BRS

Ton of boats at Gerald at the low tide. Didn't see many nets, but a few nice fish posted on the board at SC. We managed a couple just legal ( 150 on G&W) and released 3 undersized. A few fish boated at Winchelsea first thing in the morning. Heard nothing about Ballenas in the am. Does anyone have any info on Sangster or Young Pt? Thanks for the report BRS, may try there next

Just got back from Gerald there a ton of fish there right now. Around 700am the bite started I lost the first 4.....yup 4 couldnt believe it I apoligize to the two guys in the double eagle for screaming obscenities at the top of my lungs. Of the four two were beautys although I never saw them they were big fish, one snapped the line on my hootchy between the 2 hooks on a tandem. The next two were gone before I got to the rod and then finally a 15lb marble for my efforts. All on hootchys the first 3 on army truck and I will let you guess what depth. I might start carrying a bag on board I can wear on such occasions........BRS

Greg, it is critical which way the hooks are tied, mostly so for the front one.
If the first wrap of the line around the shank of the hook, goes beside the end of the shank,
where it is bent to form the eye, any pull from the rear hook can easily cut the line by the sharp end of the shank.
If you still have the hoochie as it was, check to see where it broke. Of course there are about a jillion other ways that the line can fail as well.
Lure-washer

Its been a couple of weeks since I've been out and things were pretty slow for me then, wondering how and where the action has been lately? Thanks!

Nobody ever posts anything about Gerald,Ballenas, Winchelsea or French Creek these days....presumably because there is nothing to report other than shakers,small Coho, P-Cod, dogfish and the like.

Then when you read Island Angler report for that area, they claim 30lb'ers are being scooped at Ballenas on a regular basis.

Maybe they just write these articles for the naive tourists.....

Got a nice 20lber solo yesterday morning at Ballenas. A few boats around including the Schooner Cove charter guys who were still skunked when I left. There was lots of weed and had to clear lines often. Got em on a green and white coyote at 150ft and it was the only hit I had. Lost a new 15lb cannon ball too......guess I'm still 5 pounds ahead!! Hey Moon how did you make out? Sea Lover got a 24lb and he said he saw you get one.......BRS

Back