Nootka reports

I heard about that 300lb'er but can't confirm.

Mike

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

hey blindpig, sorry I stood you up, i had an unexpected trip come up. Did you get to do any diving?

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Just got back from Nootka, 16 Springs, 2 hali's and 2 lings. The springs were bigger on average, we had a 33, 32.5, 29.5, couple 28's and the rest in the mid 20's. The fishing was harder, we changed everything from leader lengths to trolling speed, mostly because my kicker died and we trolled around with a bucket,to gear colors we don't use much. The bite seemed really short, 5-15 minutes, although there were a few that lasted a while.

The excitement came on the way home when my left trailer tire blew, it took out my fender on the trailer, the tire rim was down to a disk by the time I managed to stop, as we were traveling the Island highway at 100km/h when it blew. I managed to jack the trailer up took what was left of the rim off and pulled the drum off, the brakes were burned off, I think it stuck on and heated everything up. I repacked the bearing, pulled what was left of the brakes off installed the spare, made it to ferry with 30 minutes to spare. I do have damage to my boat from the blow out, nothing structural but a few holes to fill in the gelcoat. The main thing was everyone was unhurt and we managed to get mobile again.

All in all a great trip, looking forward to next year minus the blow out.

Man a blowout at that speed could be ugly. I saw one on an RV trailer and the thing lost control and completely discinigrated after it rolled.

Can anyone tell me how the road to Cougar Creek is doing? Such as condition and is there any logging going on in that area. I willbe dragging a 22 footer.
Thanks
Never have fish for prawns at Nootka, where might there be a good spot to catch enough for dinner?[?]

My wife drives the truck and camper in from Gold River, she said the road was the best she has seen in 8 years. There were still a few logging trucks running on weekdays.

Just got back from 2 days at Nootka. Hoois Saturday afternoon I picked up a 26 and a 20ish. Hoois Sunday morning double header of another 26 and 20ish. San Carlos in the afternoon for a 30 and some mid 20’s. Saw a few 34’s at the cleaning station. We were interviewed by DFO and they told us that the average was 1 to 3 fish per boat. With the fish being spread out all over Nootka. Most boats had something in the box. For us we fished at 60 ft down, 6 ft leaders, 3 ½ c-spoons and purple haze flasher. Could have brought home more fish if it was legal. Weather was excellent and the fleet was well spread out. A ton of bait in the water and I would say, the springs are moving in to get some. Tired now must sleep. GLG

sounds like you had a good trip, where did you stay and did you ever get up into esperanza or head out to the highway. how was the weather did you have much fog? we are heading up to tahsis on the 9th and planning to fish around esperanz and outside.

DB – We camped at Tuta Marina. More like pitch tent sleep then fish. We did not go to the highway as the fish were all around the sound. We did go to Friendly Cove as the wind was mild and the seas were calm. We fished there for a few hours but failed to hit anything. Other boats there did better as we could see a few boated. There was fog on the outside but that did not bother the larger boats we saw zooming by us. You should do well where you are going as the fish are now showing up. Lot’s of large ones (30+) this year you should do well. GLG

quote:Originally posted by GLG

Just got back from 2 days at Nootka. Hoois Saturday afternoon I picked up a 26 and a 20ish. Hoois Sunday morning double header of another 26 and 20ish. San Carlos in the afternoon for a 30 and some mid 20’s. Saw a few 34’s at the cleaning station. We were interviewed by DFO and they told us that the average was 1 to 3 fish per boat. With the fish being spread out all over Nootka. Most boats had something in the box. For us we fished at 60 ft down, 6 ft leaders, 3 ½ c-spoons and purple haze flasher. Could have brought home more fish if it was legal. Weather was excellent and the fleet was well spread out. A ton of bait in the water and I would say, the springs are moving in to get some. Tired now must sleep. GLG

What kind of bait were you seeing? Herring, candle fish, how about any pilchards?
Thanks

Herring
Leader length was 7 feet not 6 as per my other post.
GLG

quote:Originally posted by GLG

Herring
Leader length was 7 feet not 6 as per my other post.
GLG
Thank you for the info. I will be coming up on the 14th and am looking forward to some better fishing.

Was at Hoiss Point today - boated two Chinook, 17 & 24 pounds, before 7 AM on Anchovy & green hoochy at 45 & 50' deep.

Only saw one other fish boated during whole day.

Had woman & child with us, needed flat water - found it!

Back at the dock, those who went to Esperanza, off-shore did very well with lots of big Salmon & Halibut. Lots of big Coho out there too.

Wednesday - off-shore to the Highway!

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Just got back.

Fished the Highway on August 1st.. picked up our limit at 95' long leaders 8', used a trailing hook! Smallest about 10/lb largest was a 31/lb white. Slowed down on the 2nd! Only 2 fish on the 3rd! Found no fish at "Pin"?? And fishing slow at Ferrer?? Seemed strange! Think I caught the tailend of the "main" run??

DFO came out and visited us on the highway August 2nd and checked everyone. Saw a couple of nice fish on their boat! :)

Fished Nootka from July 26 to Aug 1 and had a great time. First two days wrecked with a main engine breakdown and had to do the 6 hr troll with kicker from Hoiss to Gold river. Discovery marine in Campbell river were excellent and got the boat fixed by Tues morning. Had great days Tues afternoon, Wed and Thurs. Seemed to get fish all over. Did really well at Strange island, hoiss and hisnet. Was never really hot but very consistant throughout the day. Also ventured out to the highway late morning Wed and Thurs. Fishing out there was hot. In total we managed 6 springs and 1 coho Tues, 9 springs 4 over 30lbs on Wed and 11 on thurs. Fished hard with about 16 hrs per day. usually picked up 4 or 5 between 530 and 1030 and then the rest were out o the highway. Little luck with halis but did get some nice yelow eye and lings. All springs caught on chartreuse flasher and either a char. or UV krippled anchovey. The three of us ended coming home with our limits of Springs. I personally had a 38, 37, 35 and a 30. 7 foot leader seemed to be the ticket. Before someone starts to yell at me we did land 11 on thurs but only kept 3 of them. The rest were releases with out coming in the boat or touching a net. Overall a great trip landed some beautiful springs, had fresh prawns every night and actually caught a few dungeoness crabs which were fantastic.

sounds like you had a great trip I would love to see some pics if you took any. we are loading the boat today and leaving for tahsis at 2am in search of some big pigs.

Fished our first time in Nootka during the fourth to sixth.

Monday: Arrived in Gold River at around 2:30 p.m. Headed straight out and fished around Maquinna Pt. We only managed several good sized lingcod. Ended up moving to the Lighthouse area around 6:00. During that entire day we didn't see a single fish caught.

Tuesday: Decided to head out to Bajo Reef area in the early morning, fishing was still slow as we only saw one boat land a salmon. At around 11:00 a.m. we headed further offshore to try for halibut; however, we only landed rockfish. Later that afternoon, we decided to fish Burdwood area, no salmon just 'weedfish'. By the evening we were getting desperate, we had moved to the Lighthouse area and most of our lures had been washed. Fishing did seem to be picking up as we saw two fish caught that evening (both illegal).

Wednesday: We got up early and just decided to fish Lighthouse because all we wanted to do was hook a fish. At first we washed spoons and anchovies but had no luck. We decided to try sockey fishing techniques and this worked. Within three minutes of having the slow troll, short leader, and small orange hoochy in the water we hooked a 25lb spring. We ended up releasing it. Decided to change the other rod to this gear. Five minutes later, another hit but it didn't stick. Then a shaker spring which we also lost. Finally, we hooked a keeper a 15 lb spring which was perfect size as it was 76 cm long. All these hits came within 6:00 and 7:30. We only saw one other salmon hooked during that morning. At 11:30 we packed up and headed home as the bite was over.

All in all, the trip was really fun even though we didn't catch many fish.

The saga continues: Arrived Wed, fished the outside slow start but anded up with a teenager and hatchery hoe. Thurs nice one at first light Hoiss Pt. Out to Bajo for some exitement, 2 more springs, about 8 unclipped hoes, released. And to top it off 3 Chumlys about 10 #s each. Fri change in the weather, stick inside and cough up a 15# ling and 26# spring. Sat morn good bite at Hoiss with a 28#. All in all not bad considering a lot of guys were struggling and some getting skunked, but we fish hard about 14 hours a day. Hooked many more but lost them, #$%$%&* barbless. Most taken on Bon Chovies and white hoocthies 60-30'. Time to bag.........

Inshore has been quiet fish are just starting to arrive but still fish being caught...... Off shore has been rough even in the mornings with the recent mid day wind shifts but very hot today saw good returns for those that ventured off shore 200 to 300 foot mark but 100+ with the gear was the ticket today but changes day to day Bait and white hootchies or green and white hootchies and 6" spoons have been working well. CS and others call me on 06 MyEscape or Goldriverfishinglodge if your in my neck of the woods. Heading off shore tommorow can't miss me red 33' EagleCraft.

CS stop by the lodge with the red roofs first bay on the left "Galiano Bay" past Cougar Creek radio first please but no problem stopping by to say hi.

Cheers MyEscape

revisedhookedonfishing.jpg

www.goldriverfishinglodge.com
www.moutchabay.com/
Email: h00kedonfishing@hotmail.com

Back