Nootka reports

fishing will change at least a half a dozen times in two weeks. Ask a few days beforehand.
Lots of tyees this year, quite a bit larger than last year, fewer fish though...

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Just got back from 3 days on the water. Beutiful weather and pretty good fishing. 8 fish 20 to 25lbs all at Friendly first thing in the morning. Heard they were starting to come into Hoiss some big ones at Critter 35' and a 42' we saw while fueling up (1.47/lt). Definetly fewer boats at Critter and on the water, fuel and fishing regs you need a masters degree to keep up with are keeping people away which is fine by me. Lots of coho at Friendly too all wild but good fights. Try again this weekend.

Hey Holmes, no new updates lately??????? How's fishing?????

I'm coming up on Friday, so if you or Cameron need somethng let me know.

I can't wait for the ribs this summer.

We got back last night with less fish than normal but still a great trip. Above posts are bang on more big fish just less fish at this point and Hoiss was picking up as we left. I lost a BIG fish right on top of the point Saturday night and was talking to some of the guys at Critter later that night and they fished Hoiss that morning and took 10 fish over 20lbs in two boats that morning between Hoiss and Coopte. I used everything in the box including the can`t fail 158 I have used there for ten years but the only thing that worked for me was a glow white hoochy. I saw a lot of the purple haze flashers around nets so maybe you should have one in the box. I also noted fewer boats at Critter and around the favorite spots but more guys on the boats so costs are for sure having an effect. The most interesting things we saw was a deer swimming halfway across to Critter never saw that before and the nude chick suntanning on the top of a boat, she had a guy doing the same beside her but we never saw him. Good luck and good fishing to those who are heading up there in the coming weeks.

We got back from Critter cove last night too. Wife, son and I got 8 kings and one coho in 3 days, the morning treated us well at Birdwood, where we got two each day. Yesterday morning, we landed 24 and 38 pound fish, and figuring it wasnt going to get any better, we headed for the ramp and caught an early ferry back to the mainland. We worked for the fish we got, but it was worth it. there was also a mid day bite on the low tide, and we picked one king up right outside of critter and one in the evening at the lighthouse. this was my first trip with my wife and son up there... it was a memory maker.

Going back up this weekend. Weather looks great again. Anybody been on the road to Cougar Creek this year yet? are they logging? how's the road condition?

Thanxs Fish Lifter. How's the road I assume it will be pretty good if they are logging.

Just got back from Cougar slow and lots of boats. We got 4 but think we may have got lucky. Counted 70 boats in 3 bay and the wall. Will say they are bigger this year 2 of the 4 were in 30's. Think we need some rain or overcast to move them through. Going back up Thursday for 13 glorious days.

quote:Originally posted by relics revenge

Just got back from Cougar slow and lots of boats. We got 4 but think we may have got lucky. Counted 70 boats in 3 bay and the wall. Will say they are bigger this year 2 of the 4 were in 30's. Think we need some rain or overcast to move them through. Going back up Thursday for 13 glorious days.

Full moon! :(

So glad i found someone to take my floating rental at critter last weekend. Maybe next year there will be some fish around as i still get my first crack at the date but starting to think i might change it!! Glad to hear no fish were being caught, didn't want to go waste time and money for one or two fish!

(Glad to hear no fish were being caught, didn't want to go waste time and money for one or two fish!)

NICE :(:( SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Heading up this weekend wondering if the fishing has improved since the full moon?

Mike

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Oguard - Latest reliable report I got was SLOW. Buddy fished Friday afternoon till Monday lunch. 31 and 26 # for all that work. He only saw 10 or so springs caught by other boats. There was an afternoon bite at Camel Rock, just very short and very small. Couple of red snappers and a large skate while jigging for hali. A ton of boats and the same for everyone. A lot can change in a week and I hope it does for you. Last year it started real slow than seemed to turn on. Post with your results when you get back. GLG

Thanks GLG.Be home The following Saturday wiil report then.

Mike

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Just got back yesterday. Only fished a day and a half. Worst I've ever seen it in 17 years of fishing there. Had 3 fish on and lost every one of them like an idiot. Only saw 8 fish caught. Cleaning tables at Cougar Creek eerily quiet. Boats are everywhere, the campsites over flowing, and the road to Cougar is terrible. As you can tell. I'm a little bitter. Time to think about Kyuquot or Winter Harbour.

I got back from Cougar on Sunday. I was up on the Thursday, and we had our first day of fishing on Friday.

It was slow going as reported. We fished inside and outside, including the highway. A couple hits on a white hoochie, but none landed.

I managed to pull in a 55lb Halibut at 190ft... That was the extent of the excitement on my trip.

A lot of boats fishing, not too many catching... When there was a report of bites on the radio, people flocked and it was a gong show.

We prawned not too far from Cougar in about 350ft, and go figure when we pulled the pots there were Dungeness in them. One had a slime eel inside and as you can guess it slimed up the pot real well.

All things considered, it was still a great trip. 3 days on the water in a beautiful part of the province is surely worth it.

Back