Nootka reports

Wasn't expecting reports like these...I had heard it was slow for the last week or so but I have gotten reprts from 2 seperate people that the fishing went from crap to hot 2 days ago. Hope thats the case and/or gives some of you hope. I am heading up myself on Sat. for a week. Good luck.

Hope to see you up there Blindpig.I hope fishing picks up but its one of my favorite spots in the world so it won't be all bad:D.

Mike

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Hi Beak. I stayed inside both days. Fished the normal spots.. Hoiss, Camel, the wall, the donkey, Argonaut. No fish landed and none showing on the sounder. The wind was too ****ty to go outside.

Hopefully they move in soon for ya it's about that time ain't it.

IMG_0330.jpg

hey there Oguard...will be up sat evening till fri.

Any trip is good trip..fish are just the icing. Just a lowly 21 ft 89 bayliner bowrider-Lil Dawg- but she gets the job done.

Good luck to you.

Maybe a couple of those 70 lbr's will make it down there by the end of the week. LOL[:p]

Hmmmm. I returned from my first trip ever to Nootka on July 14th with 9 fish, 2 springs and the rest nice sized coho. I returned from my 2nd trip to Nootka this past Tuesday with 5 springs, including two 30 pounders, one 25, and two 20's. While we had to work hard for them, they are there. Perhaps it's just beginner's luck (although I would like to think it a bit more than luck).

My thanks to everyone at Critter Cove for making my stays incredibly enjoyable, and to Holmes for his outstanding cuisine! Had his ribs twice while I was there. Sure made for a welcome change from the hot dogs and burgers me and my kids were making....

I will certainly be back next year.

Cheers,

Hud 52

Hmmmm. I returned from my first trip ever to Nootka on July 14th with 9 fish, 2 springs and the rest nice sized coho. I returned from my 2nd trip to Nootka this past Tuesday with 5 springs, including two 30 pounders, one 25, and two 20's. While we had to work hard for them, they are there. Perhaps it's just beginner's luck (although I would like to think it a bit more than luck).

My thanks to everyone at Critter Cove for making my stays incredibly enjoyable, and to Holmes for his outstanding cuisine! Had his ribs twice while I was there. Sure made for a welcome change from the hot dogs and burgers me and my kids were making....

I will certainly be back next year.

Cheers,

Hud 52

Hey hud52 I'm heading up this weekend to my place in Tahsis. Sounds like you guys had a pretty good trip. If you don't mind were you guys fishing inside or out side. Good to hear theres coho also.

Hey hud52 I'm heading up this weekend to my place in Tahsis. Sounds like you guys had a pretty good trip. If you don't mind were you guys fishing inside or out side. Good to hear theres coho also.

Just came back from a day trip on Sat.July26 and it was slow we fished Friendly Cove,Camel Toe Rock and area and early morning untill 12-1 oclock and not a fish among 5 boats.The guys had picked up a couple the night before.Not on fire but there are a few fish around.I was up in July 11-13 and it was way more productive.I did hear of people out on the banks having more success

Just got home tonight from Nootka, fished Friday-Sunday.

Friday 1/2 day 12pm -7pm. We meet our guide at Cougar Creek and fished the inside, only fished the area a few time I don't know all the spots by name, we weren't to far from Cougar, up near Hoiss Pt. and around there.. we had 5 fish on, 3 landed, biggest was a 34lber. we did really well considering all the reports have been slow and all the other boats there with nothing or the odd fish... lucky or good guide ! either way we were happy and took to the after noon fishing as a success.

Saturday - Off shore day - we headed out early morning to the "highway" they so called it.. Off shore fishing is much different than the inshore fishing, hard core rough seas.. though fishing was good. Lots of big hits, they were hard to stick, had one about 30lbs to the net twice, third time luck ran out it broke off just before the net! ouch.. we made up for it we got 4 other good springs before the morning bite died out.. then we turned to Halibut where we picked up 4, biggest 30lbs or so. and one Nice ling cod, a nice bonus. On our way in we checked the prawn pots.. and loaded up for a fresh prawn dinner..

Sunday - Off shore day2 - headed out at first light, seas were rough, it was a very hard core ride out off shore. Got to the spot we had to troll with the following sea... we ended up with 4-5 teenage springs, 2-3 big hatchery Coho and a yellow eye snapper.. by noon it was all white capped out.. very rough.. we were blown off the water back into Esperanza found a nice calm bay and had lunch.. carried on to check the prawn traps again and then on wards to make our journey drive back to Victoria.. long day.. I am off to bed.. lots of fish to process in the morning...

Bouy O Boy, First trip which was July 11, 12, 13, we fished the lighthouse exclusively. That's where we got all the coho. The regs changed on July 15th so it didn't make sense to burn all that fuel to go there for hatchery coho (2 per day) and small springs (less than 77 cm) during our second trip.

Our second trip which started on the 17th, we fished the inside exclusively, including Hoiss Point, the Wall, and Camel Rock. If you are heading up this weekend, the fish should be there given the rain we are experiencing. Kyuquot was apparently on fire with fish while we were in Nootka, so those fish should have moved or are on the move down to the Sound. Good luck!

Cheers,

Hud 52

quote:Originally posted by Bouy O Boy

I spent our annual trip with my father and father-in-law John this year. We had a great time, even with spotty fishing, the beer still goes down the same. Here a run down of our trip.

Arrived the afternoon of July 19th at Critter Cove. Fished on the inside at our usually honey holes...the wall, Camel Rock, San Carlos and Hoiss. Had one hit, but no hook ups. Back at the dock that night, it apparent that fishing is slow and we'll have to put in some hours to get our fish.

Fished a total of 14 hours on Sunday with nothing to show. Tried every trick in the book and even went old school trying to find something. The only action we see is an afternoon bite at high tide at Camel Rock that land maybe four fish.

Monday morning is slow again. Not many fish seen. We hit the afternoon at Camel Rock, but there is some serious combat fishing going on. We hooked up a nice fish on the inside of the cove only to have an oblivious fisherman get to close to us. The fish make a run at his boat and is hung in his gear. I'll check this one up to an inexperience driver. I saw the same guy on hooked on the rocks and fowled with another boat later on. Frustrating given we've fished 3 day and have nothing to show.

Tuesday starts out slow, but reports are showing that the fish are starting to show. We fish San Carlos, the wall and Camel Rock most of the day. Late in the evening as we're about to head back, we get a little to close into the rocks near San Carlos. Both balls are bouncing and one hangs on the rocks. At the same time the other rod trips and we think we have true mess on our hands. As I'm back the boat up and we reeling in the gear, my dad realizes the second pole is still taking line. FISH ON! We end up landing a nice 29lbs hen. Our spirits are lifted.

Wednesday starts out strong and we land a 24lber at day break. A few more fish caught around the sound but we manage nothing else for the day.

Thursday, the weather is great and seas are calm. We head out early to test the water on the outside for bottom fish and hali. We hit several spots out at Bajo and bring home a limit of bottom fish. We try one spot for halis but we're not so luck. We later find out that our coordinates were wrong and a fellow boat landed three nice chickens at different spot. Oh well...we'll get next time.

In the evening we head to Hoiss. We miss one nice fish that takes a run at the boat as we are turning around. He hangs up in our own gear and is gone. We miss another opportunity, but there wasn't much we could do. We do end up landing another nice fish that evening. We see lots of fish being caught that night, so things are on the ups.

We head to San Carlos on Friday morning before starting our trek home. Lots of bait in the water and the sky is overcast. We barely get our gear in the water and have a fish on. John grabs the rod and this fish runs. I thought maybe the drag was set light, but that not the case. This is a nice fish and he spooling line. We end up chasing him down. It's a nice 30lbs! Next pass through we land another one in the mid 20's. We pull lines up around 12:30 and start home.

All in all, not a lot of fish, but a great trip. The fish we did catch were on the average 5lbs heavier than last year. A lot of Tyees at the dock too. One fish caught on green flasher and green splatter back hootchie. The rest caught on purple haze flasher and anchovies.

The new regulation have change the dynamics on where people fish. A lot more pressure fishing on the inside. But, my gut says there are less people fishing given the cost of fuel. When we left, the secure parking lot at Gold River had lots of room as did Critter....not the norm. We'll see how thing change next year.

Great report, thank you. Will be looking forward to the next report as well. Heading up on the 7th-12th, any info shared is extremely appreciated!

Will do the same for you guys on the 13th.

FB

Very accurate report 'Dominator'!
We were there duing the same time frame (July 16-27) and came away with only 7 fish. This might be the norm for the next two years given the reduced hatchery production in 2005-2007.

i was there from the 18th to the 21st. our group of 12 had moderate success. everybody got fish, but we had to work long days. a couple of our boats got skunked on seperate occasions. we worked out of esperanza: ferrer, rosa, blackrock, and the highway. stinkin full moon. better luck in a week hopefully.

The last 4 days have shown improvement. Thare are fish off shore, ferrer's picking up as are the light house area and other local spots.
All we need now is the weather to improve!

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Just got back tonight.The weather was pretty damp but the fishing is picking up.The wife and I brought home 7 fish including my 14 year olds first tyee.The fish seemed bigger on average this year.Cougar creek had a bear problem:( so remember to keep the coolers locked away.All our fish were caught with spoons and hoochies green and yellow seemed to be the colour.

Mike

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Back last night. Seems the reports I had of hot fishing lasted exactly one day and then went back to crap. Weather ditto- rain and wind for the whole week. We managed 4 springs (19,21,32,34)and one coho (8) for our salmon fishing efforts. Only made it outside once due to the wind which produced our coho and 2 lings but we didn't get there too early and left after a short time (took us 2 hours to get out in the crap). On a good note for the rest of you, 3 of our salmon including the tyee's came on our last day and we saw several others caught. Looks like the rain has finally started to bring em in again. Like most everyone else here, we fished mostly San Carlos, Camel rock, Hoiss, and Hisnet areas.

We did hit the hali's pretty well. Took home 9 for 5 guys in 1.5 days of fishing(8,17,25,29,30,30,44,49,54). Made the trip worthwhile monetarily although we would go even without the fish. Heard a rumor of a 300 pound halibut coming in. Was hoping to see something on it here. Maybe just fish stories.

Back