Nootka reports

Ya we did hit the highway, but moved around quite a bit if things were not happening. Your timing should be good. Saw no one fishing Maquinna, give it a shot, nothing like fishing alone from the pack. Good Luck.

Hi All

Just got back today fishing out of Esperanza. what a differance from our last trip. We hit the hwy all three days and got a total of 11 springs and four coho, the fishing was excellent especially the first day where we threw 25 coho back, all wild. We had to get deeper to get into the springs, but as someone else mentioned it varied each day, first day 148ft, second 100ft third 120ft, biggest was a forty one pound hog caught at 100ft on a spoon. all colours were working well. Hoochies were also working great. The coho stripped a lot of our anchovies so we switched over with great success.
Good luck and tight lines

Not out today :( Might go out for the evening bite. However was out yesterday offshore with good bottom fishing and salmon fishing on the highway. Things inside were showing signs of improvement including some coho in the mix. However this morning things are really starting to pick up inside [:p]most likely due to the recent rains. Will be back out tommorow most likely heading off shore. Always monitoring channel 6 just call MyEscape.

Cheers Kev aka MyEscape

revisedhookedonfishing.jpg

www.goldriverfishinglodge.com
www.moutchabay.com/
Email: h00kedonfishing@hotmail.com

Just got back from Nootka Sound........

Well it was myself, my dad and brothers first time out there, and well.......it wasnt disapointing. Definetly going back next year!!!

so heres the story...arrived at the cabin at 12pm friday....
4 hours fishing....not a sniff
saturday.....fished friendly cove area....1 spring 32 pds....my first tyee...then tried Maquinna for a few hours and got nothing so we headed in for some lunch and regroup. Headed to Princess Royal for a couple hours in the evening and again nothing....so we decided to go offshore on sunday and well with in a few minutes we started nailing springs. In total we kept 4, biggest was 20 pds, 2 lings, and some snapper. no hailbut this time, but just gives us another reason to back shortly!! All in All, offshore was excellent, and from we were hearing on the radio on monday things were picking up on the insides as noted by other members.
On another note, just want to say thanks to the guys in the boat called "Rumbo", met them when we were fueling up on saturday night and they let us follow them to a good spot offshore, if it wasnt for them we would of probably done far worse, So thanks again and for everyone else heading out that way........GOOD LUCK and i wish i was still there!!!!

Cheers
SpillyTalker

Fished Aug 8, 9 and 10. My report would be “spotty” for those days. I’m glad to hear that things are improving on the inside. For us it seemed hot then dead. Fished Friday afternoon after we got settled in at the marina. Went to San Carlos and managed to put one 24# in the boat. I didn’t see anybody else get any. Saturday morning we got up late (Note to self, bring an alarm clock or miss the bite) and buzzed out to Hoiss for a round of sight seeing and burning fuel. Did see a couple of boats scratch up a few nice size springs. A friend showed up from running in from Gold River and before long he managed to pull in a 30# spring. Tried fishing in a few other spots but no joy. Sunday got up this time and went straight to Hoiss. We hooked and lost four fish before my partner managed to get another 24# in the boat. Nothing like losing a double header first thing in the morning when there is not enough coffee in the blood. We saw other boats pulling out the nets and land some nice fish. Hooked a monster late in the morning and he was spooling me while we were chasing him down. He got the better of the fight as my mainline broke off. (Another note to self, take ten feet off the mainline every trip) If someone finds a Purple Haze flasher with seven-foot leader and a sticky sharp 3 1/2 inch silver prism Coyote spoon, I want it back. You will find him at 60 feet just north of the lodge. You can keep the fish but I want my hardware. The other spoon that did well was a 4 inch silver holographic coyote. I don’t know the name but it looks like a small fish. I washed my spoon for a few hours and was cursing my luck for losing fish earlier in the day. I wondered if that would be it for my chances when at 3:30 PM my rod went down and my fishing partner yelled fish on. I grabbed my rod and felt the head shakes at the other end. My fish ran hard. Boats cleared a path for us to proceed for deeper water but the fish had other ideas. I thought for sure this one was going to run under the boat that was ahead of us. We pinned the kicker and started to chase her down and guide her to deeper water. Managed to get out of the boat traffic and did slow wide circles keeping the fish to the inside of the boat. The fish seem to alternate from sounding (going deep) to motoring along the surface. She gave us a show by jumping clear out of the water a few times. Not sure who was tired first, her or me, but she finally came to the boat and when she got close she made sure my trusty partner had a shower of salt water. Finally in the net she went. Brought her back to the dock and those old scales tipped at 30+ pounds. Nice fish. Had a chance to talk to others at the fish cleaning station and found most people were fishing in the 20 to 40 feet depth range. They were not having much luck with their anchovies at that depth. I don’t know if it had anything to do with the gear but I do think that the depth of 60 to 70 feet was the key. That depth has worked for us the last two weekends. Water has mostly calm and the weather was not to bad. We did have some rain but it was mostly sprinkles. The road in is in very good shape but the hills are steep (15% grade) so make sure your rig is up for it. Saw lots of nice boats out there with great captains. The boat traffic was orderly and I found that everyone knew what to do when there was a fish on. Plenty of room to troll, but still close enough to say hi to other fisherman. I did see a Chris-Craft boat by the name of “Morning Chubby” I waved but I’m not sure if it was one of our members. There you have it. If you go up there and it seems slow, you might want to try to go deeper than the “normal,” it might work. We did troll for many hours with nothing to show but when the bite came on we were hitting them. One more thing to add. Find the bait. We did not catch anything where there was no bait. It’s easy to spot the bait as it is on your sounder or it’s jumping out of the water near you. I don’t know for sure what the bait was but when our sounder read 12 feet in 150 feet of water it must be thick down there. GLG

Good report GLG. You're not going to believe this but I know who has your spoon, flasher, and the 27# spring that was attached to it. One of the guides had the fish wrap around his downrigger Sunday morning between Hoiss and the rock pile and the gear in its mouth is the same as you describe. I'll be in there guiding next week and I'll see what I can do for you.

Red Sled … Too funny. I truly thought that the hook would have slipped out and my gear was down at the bottom with all those cannon balls I have lost over the years. I’m glad that the gear produced a fish for the guide and his guest. I’m a little surprised that the fish was 27# because she felt like a 37# with the ballistic run she was on when I lost her. Mind you I don’t really know what a 37# feels like. If by some chance the guide is willing to return it I live in the Comox Valley. GLG

Hello All

Yes the inside is picking up both for chinooks and also coho with the rain fish are moving towards the river. I have been out and about and finally got the 33' Red EagleCraft where I can run everything including the boat from the back even in packed up areas and do agree all boats seem to know the rules of the road and give space if they know you have a fish on. I also passed Morning Chubby but does anyone know what lodge he works for as would like to get a a hold of him. Been fishing mostly closer to Mootcha Bay.

More to report soon as I have a moment.

Cheers ME

www.moutchabay.com/

Just got back this evening from fishing Esperanza out of Tahsis. If you can get outside to the Hwy the fishing is great. Inside it is very slow. As everyone knows, inside at Esperanza is basically catch and release for Springs which is of no matter because very few are being caught.

Fortunately we were able to get out on the Hwy Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Monday was our best day with two tyees in the boat before 9:00. Lots of fish available but your going to have to sort through a lot of Silvers to get to the Springs. Tuesday was way to rough so we fished Rosa and hooked and released a 20 pound Spring. It was the only one that we saw caught that morning.

Our best luck was with anchovies using really long leaders . . . . long as in 10 feet. They would not leave that setup alone for but wow is it every hard to land a large fish with a 10' leader. Purple Haze helmet with a green stripe flasher was our best combo. When we got frustrated with silvers we would switch to straight hardware . . . . mostly Coyote Spoon in the Watermelon color . . . 6 inch worked great.

Most of our god fish were deep . . . between 140 feet and 100 feet. Our shallowest fish was 70 feet but it was a dandy at 36 1/2 pounds. We ended up with 3 tyees for the trip so we're all smiles. Can't wait for next year!!

Get to he Hwy if you can.

No Blue Orca I am not fishing alone life changed I am now the guide for one of the owners of Gold River Fishing Lodge. [:p] Long Story

Now as for the fishing went out last night with a few staff and a great guy and guide Andrew who is also a member of the site. I was blown away with his fishing knowledge and boat handling abilities in tight quarters to protect his fish. I landed a nice 24.5 only minutes from the lodge during a quick last light fish and it was a silver bright chinook. I seems like a wave came in but with the 3/4 moon last night slowed down fishing a bit inside from the boats coming in with limits only yesterday. Out side has been great with calm seas for a few days but today welcome to fogest.

Cheers MyEscape On Channel 6

www.moutchabay.com/

Noooo not a loong story!!![:0][:0][:0]
Call me on my cell, it looks like I will be stationed in Gold River come September, at least for a week per month. Good to hear that the fishing is at least acceptable for the most part.

boc

quote:Originally posted by MyEscape

Hello All

Yes the inside is picking up both for chinooks and also coho with the rain fish are moving towards the river. I have been out and about and finally got the 33' Red EagleCraft where I can run everything including the boat from the back even in packed up areas and do agree all boats seem to know the rules of the road and give space if they know you have a fish on. I also passed Morning Chubby but does anyone know what lodge he works for as would like to get a a hold of him. Been fishing mostly closer to Mootcha Bay.

More to report soon as I have a moment.

Cheers ME

www.moutchabay.com/

Hey ME

Im at Hoiss Point Lodge till the 28th I'll try hook up with you now i know your at gold river lodge.

Cheers!

M.C.

pissongrady-1.jpg

Morning Chubby look forward to chatting with you call me on channel 6. I am running the big red EagleCraft. CS also comes up Sunday so should get together for a wobbly pop or two.

Saw tyee's come in from the inside with sunshine and 28 degree weather today with many of our boats limited with most fish still being silver and those that ventured off shore in the wind waves, ground swells and fog were rewarded.

Cheers ME

www.moutchabay.com/

Can anyone give me an idea where to fish in Nootka?

I will be running down to Hoiss / Critter Cove area this morning from Tahsis because of the storm force winds off-shore - good chance tommorrow too.

If someone can give me a call on Ch. 6 or 10, or if they here me on the radio. "Sushi Hunter"

Should we be headed as far up as Moocha Bay?

Thanks!

Good fish'n, everyone.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

We are heading up to Nootka this week for 7 days, does anyone know when Critter Cove fuel closes for the season?

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

Can anyone give me an idea where to fish in Nootka?

I will be running down to Hoiss / Critter Cove area this morning from Tahsis because of the storm force winds off-shore - good chance tommorrow too.

If someone can give me a call on Ch. 6 or 10, or if they here me on the radio. "Sushi Hunter"

Should we be headed as far up as Moocha Bay?

Thanks!

Good fish'n, everyone.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Hmm... So, you think a guy from WA can give give a professional guide from Tahsis some ideas on where to fish? You probably have forgotten more about that area, than I have ever known! :) But, if I was there right now running down from Tahsis, I would start at Hoiss for about 1/2 to an hour, fishing just like "Louie Bay"... if nothing hits and no one is catching anything... I would move to the "wall". Fishing a little deeper! If you sneak out to the point watch the rollers... they get pretty big in the Nootka Sound area and build really fast when there is a westerly storm! Been there done that and it's NOT a pretty picture!

Looks like you got some "nice" seas coming in the next couple of days! Glad I don't have to battle them. I wouldn't venture out into that either and I run a 30' Boston Whaler!

Good catching!
Charlie

Hi,

We were at Critter Cove last year when they closed the gas docks. It was Labor day that they closed it for the season so it probably is the same this year.

Good luck!! I am headed to Tofino this Friday.

Krazy Norwegian

Back