Nootka reports

i have no problem with paying $30 mooring at critter. last year it cost me $10 just to tie up at friendly cove to see the other side of the church. we are going to rough it for a couple days and moor in luxury at critter.to bad the cabins are booked.after a couple of days on the water ill be so looking forward to a critter burger..
if its a wet trip a shower will be-- priceless!

Hey guys, I received a Newsletter from Critter Cove today. For those of you that were wondering about the gas situation, I have cut and pasted a part from their Newsletter regarding this matter:

The gas dock has been separated from Critter Cove. It now sits just in front of camp. Visa, M/C, and debit will be possible now, but gas charges to a room or slip will no longer be possible You'll pay for your gas when you fill up. Please do not rely on your credit cards. If the system goes down we are way down on the list for a service call, so please have some cash on hand.

SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Holmes, I want to pickup a couple of new Tomic Plugs while I am there is a few weeks, how is the selection and pricing compared to in town? Looking at 158 or 602's 6 or 7"

Holmes, did you receive the email I sent through this site? I am note sure if it worked.

Just wondering if anyone has anything to report on since this title of the thread is nootka reports! I am getting anxious and I am wondering what's going on up there as I am heading up there next week! Thanks!

Hey Holmes whats coming into Critter this week and where are they getting them. Bringing the boys over to Critter this Sat.
for rib nite looking forward to it. Is it busy in there for diner on Sat nites when is the best time. Weather looks great.:D

Guys, Ive been out there doing a charter, just got back yesterday and am heading back out there tomorrow. I havnt been posting day to day reports due to the topic being "changed". Anyway, fishing during the low pressure system was really slow, especially at ferrer believe it or not... however the light house has been getting good. yesterday morning, I boated a 33, 18, and lost a few pin poppers. We also have been catching some really good coho, acceptionally large for this time of year, averaging 7- 9 lbs with many being 11- 12. The light house should be really good at first light now as the high slack is first thing in morning. Hope this helps.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

We`re heading up after work on Thursday, can`t wait. How deep are they this year? Last year they seemed quite a bit deeper than usual or maybe my old brain is starting to fade.
Cheers

Stinger, you are right last year all our fish were taken at 50+ feet year before 25-35ft. I go in two weeks cannot wait especially as we have purchased a new for us(2005) 21 Trophy. any updates welcome, thanks to all the posters.

We`re gone Thursday and back Sunday night I`ll let you know how we do, planning on some prawning and halibut as well and hope to video it all.

the standard 27', 33'. Unless youre one of these guys who believe theyll catch just as many out in the ozone! in that case drop your riggers to 400 feet, or whatever you think theyll be at, it wont make any difference.
Fish the rocks, dont be afraid to get in there! I may even cut you some slack. remember, right hand to the rocks... unwritten rules of right of way. See you there!

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Thanks for the posts. Am going up this weekend and the next 2 weeks after that will let everyone know how it goes. What radio channel does everybody use up there?.

We use private channels, however most people use ch 6. It gets really busy this time of year so you may find yourself shutting it off. Maybe try 72. I sometimes scan that one as some local guides that I know use it. Im Island Fishlifter, give me a ring.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

quote:Originally posted by relics revenge

Thanks for the posts. Am going up this weekend and the next 2 weeks after that will let everyone know how it goes. What radio channel does everybody use up there?.

I usually am on 69 or 72.

In my recent trip there, I was scanning 6, 16, 68, 72...eventually had to turn it off, endless chatter!

Lots of good size springs were coming into Critter, from Maquinna and Lighthouse area.

Saw a couple of decent fish caught in the Sound too.

BTW, anyone know what happened with the mayday called late afternoon off Ferrer Point on Monday? (or may have been Tues) We saw Coast Guard scream by from Gold River up Tahsis Inlet, but never found out what happened.

And a PS to those with the parking questions: I parked in the gated lot right at the Gold River boat ramp. Seemed well organized and safe, I think $8 per night plus $10 for the ramp.

Bump Heading up in a couple a weeks.Whats the latest?

Mike

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Back