Nootka reports

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

Hmm... So, you think a guy from WA can give give a professional guide from Tahsis some ideas on where to fish? You probably have forgotten more about that area, than I have ever known! :) But, if I was there right now running down from Tahsis, I would start at Hoiss for about 1/2 to an hour, fishing just like "Louie Bay"... if nothing hits and no one is catching anything... I would move to the "wall". Fishing a little deeper! If you sneak out to the point watch the rollers... they get pretty big in the Nootka Sound area and build really fast when there is a westerly storm! Been there done that and it's NOT a pretty picture!

Looks like you got some "nice" seas coming in the next couple of days! Glad I don't have to battle them. I wouldn't venture out into that either and I run a 30' Boston Whaler!

Good catching!
Charlie

Charlie:

Thank you!

As it turned out, we didn't go to Nootka today. The other boat decided that we had a "window" of good weather to get out to the Highway for a few hours. I foolishly followed him about 4 miles off-shore and then turned back to run with the waves up to Rolling Roadstead. Got inside and went to Black Rock where we saw lots of bait and fish on the sounder. Had several hookups, but nothing stuck for a bit. Did get two nice Coho in the boat - about 12 & 13 pounds.

Trolled over to Double Island, nothing there, but heard on the radio that a boat did well there.

Crossed over to Rosa and worked the wall there. Saw two fish being played and after about 4 passes, we hit a real screamer of a Chinook, but the guy playing the fish was not experienced and inspite of some good coaching slack-lined the fish one too many times and we lost it.

We did release a number of small Salmon.

Considering the weather, I figure we did OK. A fellow guide in a big alluminum boat stopped to ask if we had gone out (like he did). When I told him we turned around, he said "probably a good idea!" I can't help but agree. Killing fish is not worth dieing over.

If weather looks bad tommorow, I WILL be going to Nootka. The other boat can go where he wants. Some times it's too easy to out-think yourself.

But this whole experience goes back to a question I posed earlier on this site: Will someone die because of our new regulations that force people off-shore to catch big fish? I hope we don't find out.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Jim...
Someone dies on the West Coast each year due to weather and stupidity! Just glad it isn't me! And, I have been stupid several times.

I have been fishing up there for about 20 years now and have run the coast line for all those years. I am used to gale force winds and they really don't bother me... guess I'm stupid! However, storm warnings and above are a different story! I pretty much draw the line at 40 knot winds! I am used to 15 foot seas and start getting uncomfortable when they are over 20 foot... I start looking for a place to hide when they get about 30 foot! That's rough enough for me! I might be stupid... but I am not crazy! Looks like you might have a storm blowing! Be Careful out there!</u>

I have sneaked over to the backside of the Northwest Cone several times with storm warnings, and had great success! The backside is usually protected. Just a little rough between Pin Rock and Justice. But that run isn't bad if you go slow. It is a long 4 miles. The outer reef does break some of the rough water up and gives a little protection, but not very much in that area. If caught over there just take a break and tour around Lord Island into Mary Basin and the Inner Basin! It's a nice tour! Might even see the gray whale that hangs out behind Lord Island!

I would fish that over the inside of Nootka. The fish at Hoiss aren't too bad, but they are starting to turn. I have caught a lot more fish at the "wall", but the fish inside Tlupana Inlet are returning to Conuma and all have started to turn! Not the same quality of fish caught outside! But your quests won't know the differance, unless you tell them! And safety and comfort is something to think about! If you run down there I do favor the "Wall" over Hoiss point!

Give your quests the choice! Good or bad... it is part of the Experience!</u>
Catch some fish... Be safe!!
Charlie

Just re-reading the reports....Kevin...you mentioned Andrew being a guide and member of this board....
That wouldn't happen to be young Mr. Rippingale would it? If so, pay attention!!! He's a keeper.:D
Sent you a PM just a minute ago...
Any recent reports after this storm passes???? Should start them moving a bit if it rains some.
Looking forward to some fall fishing....

boc

Forgot to mention....
Jim...Stay inside or at least on the lee side tomorrow...looks like a bit of a blow going on.
50 knots (92kmh) tonight at Estevan predicted...but from where you are you can probably just look out you window and see that.:D

boc

quote:Originally posted by blueorca

Forgot to mention....
Jim...Stay inside or at least on the lee side tomorrow...looks like a bit of a blow going on.
50 knots (92kmh) tonight at Estevan predicted...but from where you are you can probably just look out your window and see that.:D

boc

I have been in those 50 knot winds at Estevan and can tell you... they are down right dangerous!!

I don't like rounding Estevan in winds like that! Once in 50 with gust up to 60 made a believer out of me and once was more than enough! Push come to shove and someone gets stuck out there... and really had to do it, head out to sea about 7/10 miles and stay off the point. Don't even get near it in those winds. You will find yourself in 50 foot seas... real quick! I'd be heading for the pub for a couple of nice cool drinks and setting this one out!

Looks like a chance to do some good inside fishing!

Its been ugly the last couple of days and not many fish inside. Bajo reef was good until the southeasters started! Discovery point has been probably the best producer in the last few days. I was at Ferrer point yesterday and was a bust... not a bad place to fish on the lee side of a rippin southeaster! However, nice to have a couple days off until back at it on the 27th. I was at gold river lodge and seen Kevin a couple times this year, great guy.. going to be an awsome guide! Good luck Kev, Ill be there on the 26th eve to look for Bills glasses. Dave.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

Its been ugly the last couple of days and not many fish inside. Bajo reef was good until the southeasters started! Discovery point has been probably the best producer in the last few days. I was at Ferrer point yesterday and was a bust... not a bad place to fish on the lee side of a rippin southeaster! However, nice to have a couple days off until back at it on the 27th. I was at gold river lodge and seen Kevin a couple times this year, great guy.. going to be an awsome guide! Good luck Kev, Ill be there on the 26th eve to look for Bills glasses. Dave.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

I named it "Afternoon Bay" because when the weather picks up in the afternoon I fish the back side of the cone on the east side of Florence Point down to Sara Islet. The back side of the cone has always produced fish for me.

CS, I dont moniter 6, way too busy. Im usually on 72 and f2(private channel). Yea, it was good there (bajo), we got into a few fish. The light gatorback cuddlefish was on fire! I lost my last ont the next morning but found the double glow white to work alright. The guys I had on board were from Czech Republick, could not speak a word of english, had zero boating experience, zero fishing experience... was quite interesting!

Im going back on the 27th until the 7th. We'll have to get together sometime as we seem to share the same haunts. Take care, Dave.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

CS, I dont moniter 6, way too busy. Im usually on 72 and f2(private channel). Yea, it was good there (bajo), we got into a few fish. The light gatorback cuddlefish was on fire! I lost my last ont the next morning but found the double glow white to work alright. The guys I had on board were from Czech Republick, could not speak a word of english, had zero boating experience, zero fishing experience... was quite interesting!

Im going back on the 27th until the 7th. We'll have to get together sometime as we seem to share the same haunts. Take care, Dave.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Well im back home in Sooke now,.. after well.. compared to previous years not the best season for me in nootka sound. But all in all still some good fishing was enjoyed thank God my guests love cold beer!. I guess if you take away the better half of the best fishing spots you take away the better half of the potential catch.IMO the under 77cm is a complete Bull SH#T rule. Offshore fishing was Awsome as always. My boat is going back in the water for waht I hope wil be some awsome fishing in Sooke. By the way the coho in Nootka sound looks very promising for september!

Cheers!
M.C.

pissongrady-1.jpg

Morning Chubby Was awesome meeting you and going for boat ride and a change of scenery with a few other guides and staff from Hois Point.

You and your staff made me feel welcome to "Nootka" as a new guide. I really liked the fact they were open with me about where and what was working. Thank-You. I felt comfortable and it was great to meet the crew. You have a great bunch of both ladies and guides. I wish I had been here all summer to enjoy all of get togethers :D I must say you are well known for cathing salmon and for slaying bottom fish "Morning Chubby" Great to meet someone who is willing to assist others. [8D] Hope to see you soon...... [:p Who knows I might see you @ the Chum Derby the third weekend in October in Browns Bay. For those that think guiding is easy try again it's all about the boat, gear and also keeping your guests entertained between fish. Even in tough fishing conditions you are still expected to catch fish thats why they hired a guide."Nothing like the added pressure." Also on top of that you have your jobs that you do before and after guiding to help out your team in the lodge...Keeping busy makes the day fly by.

I am lucky I work for one of the owners of Moucha Bay, Gold River Fishing Lodge and Sea View Game Farm. I take Paul and Maggie and friends out to fish, have fun and enjoy the breath taking views. Paul has a vision of many positive changes in the near future for both lodges... Many call him unique I agree but I see it more as a vision. When asked what his ultimate goal was he loves to create new jobs. He needs to find a few more key staff members for up coming positions. It's nice to see Paul and Maggie say Thanks to our out going customers which is an exaple of the one on one services you will receive at the lodge

We can rock through this week and weekend and then we are on the home stretch.

I love everything about GRFL. The fishing was great
yesterday with Twin Tyees a 16 and an 18 trolling plugs. (Hint Hint Off Shore and the Inside has had alot of fish caught on white plugs 500 tomic or 602 in most sizes) Inside Depth 30' to 60'

The tar pit is producing some silver fish as well as some boots Try glow in the dark plugs and purple haze hootchies both inside and offshore "THEY WORK."

(Moucha Bay) Has been the play pen of many boats even in the pouring rain. The search of this years illusive salmon in shore for. Large number are holding inside before they go up the river. Coho's up to 19 lbs have been caught recently. If you can handle 30+ boats all on your spot Just kidding but it can be a bit of a gong show. Please remember fresh fish are coming in daily with lots of the run yet to come in. Yes they are late as all the fish on V.I.

Late August and through September will be a big window where you need to get out and slay some of the biggies they slept in and are late. You can catch a gran slam "Limited on All Species of Salmon and Bottom Fish during this time of the season. Best part of it is you fish without the crowdes and mostly without a flasher. The fish are arriving very late but for those that head out and put in the time they are rewarded with silver bright fish from inside and even more so offshore.

Yes there are some dark fish that have been caught but they are still in great shape. The darkest fish seen at the dock was taken yesterday at Birwood figure that one out......

Tip of the week: Don't second guess your favourite lure thats caught many fish in the past "Remember"

The outside has been great for those adventureous people that don't mind taking there time or a beating. Today I saw some of the olympics and of course the mascots....... Still can't get my head around that....
Cheers Kevin

Leader Board

38 lbs Spring caught in August
35 lbs Sping caught on a speader bar with herring for hali's (Story)

Then a hali caught at 20' after they just started to put down their troll gear for chinooks

Leader Board</u>

19 lbs Coho caught in August
45 lbs Ling Cod Caught in August
50 lbs Halibut but there may be some unrecorded orreleased

Our..guests are after the halibut "chickens" the best tasting hali bar none 10 to 50 lbs for flavour and texture of meat

revisedhookedonfishing.jpg

www.goldriverfishinglodge.com
www.moutchabay.com/
Email: h00kedonfishing@hotmail.com

You Bring Your Boat We Got You Covered

Thanks Kevin

Damm I wish we had more time for Fun Just so busy with clients all the time and when you got a momment after you've rerigged the gear and the boats clean all I want to do is slam back a few and sleep.
I remeber last year we went out with a bunch of us to Tahsis for a Beer Run and stop for lunch we had a blast. On the way back we put the lines down we got into a spring in the mid twentys, the guys put me in a life jacket them tossed me overboard i played out the fish in the water! they wouldnt let me back in the boat till i landed it, Good times! We call it man overboard fishing.
We do have a great guiding crew at Hoiss point. What I like the most about them is, we all work as a team. The fish Ego triping does not exsist. We all fish the same and share any new info with each other from day to day. We have learned its more about being in the right place at the right time that makes the biggest differance. The info we share as a team has made us all better fisherman.
With execption of a small few (from one other lodge) All the Nootka Guides are great bunch to fish around they respect others and share the water well. Now that I have slept for two days straight I already misss the place.

Once again Cheers and thanks.
M.C.

pissongrady-1.jpg

I came out to see my son have a group of 6 landing Friday going offshore no matter what the conditions are as long as they are reasonable. Morning Chubby got any chicken or ling cod holes you care to share with me via email. I love guiding at the lodge but it sucks in one way you just get to know your guests and it's time for them to go home. Next year my boat for guiding will be ready a 29' Proline with twin 300's set up for off shore with room for six including 2 bow seats for bottom fishing. I will be the only in house guide next year but like this year we will have a number of guides that work out of the lodge.

We are adding 6 more twin queen rooms in are new float house. We had to design a new septic system to meet the new laws so figured we might as well add to the number of rooms and build a bigger kitchen to.

Its alot different at our lodge with many of our guests bringing there own boats which is one of the things that truly makes us different and we will be incorperating this also into the Moucha Bay Development.

Anyone wanting to come up in September email me as I am sure I can work you out a deal on lodging, moorage, including or not including meals if you want. We have guests until Sept 15th but the fish are so late I figure there will be good fishing til October 1

Morning Chubby you and the crew are respectful on the water although you run like a pack of wolves.... All your crew will move out or pull gear if someone close has a fish on. First Class

Will report back on Friday after dropping the lines again.......

Living in paradise
Cheers ME

revisedhookedonfishing.jpg

www.goldriverfishinglodge.com
www.moutchabay.com/
Email: h00kedonfishing@hotmail.com

Hi M.E.Thanks for the wealth of information and good chat this summer.You guys are exellent fisherman.I was fishing next to Morning Chubby one afternoon and got to see him in action!I was thinking of taking a late season trip to Nootka with my son to fish springs and coho.Can anyone tell me if there is a coho fishery on the inside and when might be the best time to try?

M.E.
Sent you a email with the spots we worked this year. I got to chuckle a little when Guests insist on going off shore no matter the conditions..too rough is too rough! the water is unfishable cant keep the lines on the bottom or you cant troll slow enough as the wind pushes you to fast, my odds for pukers has not been good I have to say 50% of them hurl and want to go back to the lodge within 30 mins of being out there. In my egarness to please the guests i have ruined there day buy getting them sick out there. now I am much more assertive about saying NO its to rough we will try tomorrow. It gets to the point where is just not enjoyable [xx(] IMO Offshore fishing is an awsome experiance and I love it but you have to have the weather to make it so.

I just looked at the conditions is 4 knots off of estavan and is like blowing 18 in sooke DAMM! i want to to go back!

M.C.

pissongrady-1.jpg

Hi Holmes, I'm heading to Critter today for a few days. What are we going to eat??????????? I guess it's fend for yourself.

Going to do some Coho fishing, there are lots at Burdwood right now.

We have golfed everyday since I got home Monday. After fishing in Nootka for the last six weeks I still shot a 84 first game out.

Hey Codfather, done that myself more than a few times...... on the front 9! :( SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

the coho fishinhg been really good if you know how to catch them! Lots of high teens to low 20's. Havin a bbq coho right now as I speak. Good luck!

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Back