2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were out at the cap from 430 til dark. Picked up a 20 and 15 lb white springs. Thanks to Tim(aka Hookin up) for some info. We also saw party Marty out there with feelin nauti. Lost a couple ho's but we were pretty busy once the harbour patrol left and we could fish where we wanted to. Good night in the water. Also saw a navy ship go under the bridge.
View attachment 9121View attachment 9122

Cannibal Chris.

Nice Job Chris!, Our little secret eh?
I guess now I'll be seeing you out there all winter long?
so much for solitude lol

Was yak'in up a storm with a buddy of mine yesterday aft at our marina and we eventually decided rather than BS'in sitting at the dock we could likely be more effective if we got out and put some rods out and continued on out there. We headed out in his lovely new welded aluminum ( thanks for the offer buddy!) for a short evening fish 4-7pm.
Beauty day with light winds and some sun. Not tons of action ( but decided to avoid the cap congestion so we could focus on our BS'ing! ) and it wasn't too long before my top rod popped - a very nice bright silver wild coho of about 7-8 lbs released. A little later my deeper rod pops and it feels "Chinook" but average at first and then turns into an incredible surface fight with very long runs and the fish ripping diagonally across the surface with a huge "bow" wave, almost spooling a 4000GT and included a jump which cleared the water by about 4' . We quickly realized this was much more than a teenager lol. A seal approaching very close as the fish neared the net just added to the adrenaline rush ! 40.5" x 26" 34 lbs. Great evening, great company and such a bonus for Vancouver area fishing in late September!

IMG_5652sept21 2013 resized.jpgIMG_5656 sept21 2013 resized2.jpg

Was yak'in up a storm with a buddy of mine yesterday aft at our marina and we eventually decided rather than BS'in sitting at the dock we could likely be more effective if we got out and put some rods out and continued on out there. We headed out in his lovely new welded aluminum ( thanks for the offer buddy!) for a short evening fish 4-7pm.
Beauty day with light winds and some sun. Not tons of action ( but decided to avoid the cap congestion so we could focus on our BS'ing! ) and it wasn't too long before my top rod popped - a very nice bright silver wild coho of about 7-8 lbs released. A little later my deeper rod pops and it feels "Chinook" but average at first and then turns into an incredible surface fight with very long runs and the fish ripping diagonally across the surface with a huge "bow" wave, almost spooling a 4000GT and included a jump which cleared the water by about 4' . We quickly realized this was much more than a teenager lol. A seal approaching very close as the fish neared the net just added to the adrenaline rush ! 40.5" x 26" 34 lbs. Great evening, great company and such a bonus for Vancouver area fishing in late September!

View attachment 9129View attachment 9130
Nice going Greg!.
I got a text about this fish
congrats to the capt. as well, you two make a good team
damn that boats fishy already :D
Tim

Saturday morning 7:30am hooked this dark one one right after we set the lines. Lost one a little later and then landed a nice hatchery coho. Once the ebb started pushing no bites.

Attachments

• capilano_21sep2013.jpg
    capilano_21sep2013.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 732
Very nice fish peahead. Yes shepnoir that is my 4.5 year old female bull terrier. She usually ends up sneaking into the fish pics and will open the cooler to get her licks in.

Chris

Nice going Greg!.
I got a text about this fish
congrats to the capt. as well, you two make a good team
damn that boats fishy already :D
Tim

Thx yeah and very enjoyable guy to fish with as well and a good fisherman ( attention to detail always impresses me) . One problem though.....his boat attracts sea lions !!! lol:eek: ;)

One problem though.....his boat attracts sea lions !!! lol:eek: ;)

I guess they know where the pickins' are good too ;)
at least if they're following you guys they are off my tail, guess I should say thanks eh:rolleyes:

I was out fishing the Cap with Feeling Nauti on saturday. We fished from 6:30am to about 6:00pm we managed 2 undersized springs 1 pink and an 8-10lb spring. I can offically say I caught a Cap spring but the size was a bit disapointing. So next year's goal will be to catch a 20+ spring at the cap. Big thanks goes to Finished Buisness for the tip, it worked. Unforuntely that will likely be my last time chasing Springs for the year as my moorage is up on the 31st. Anyway the fishing was sloooooow! we only saw one decent fish hook but then lost because he was an idot. Nearly crashed into us and had another guide boat reversing away. He left the controls with the boat in gear to help his customer play and net the fish. The boat quickly began to turn cutting us of, we couldn't turn as we had the other boat coming in the other direction. Long story short some words where exchanged and he lost fish as he tried to recover the customer wraped the fish around the downrigger line which he forgot to pull up. Gong show all around.

I had a great time fishing with feeling Nauti, learned alot about stacking rods! Looking forward to getting back in the chase next year!

Stacking rods, tell me more.. Seems if I stack and the current get moving, the pack gets tight and All I get is tangled up...;( tried all different distance to from the clip and have found close is better for less tangle.. Wonder if it hurts the fishing though...

Was out on the weekend with my 6 year old and we hit a nice low 20s east of the green marker at the cap...bottom bouncing a chovie died blue... The blue seems to be getting me some decent action lately... Love getting the little critter into exciting fishing... He was grinding lines, pulling the riggers, driving the boat... Getting cheers from all the other boats. Memories for a life time.... Back out Thursday...J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Hey there party Marty what exactly did you learn about stacking rods? I've never had much success, just lots of knots to undo!

Scotty, I put the clips 25 - 30 feet apart if running two in line flashers or the top line 15-20 feet up if I'm trolling without them. I also make sure to set the bottom line back farther from them boat. Nasty knots have been kept to a minimum.

I always set top line farther away from boat so if spring dives doesn't get caught in bottom line

the only problem with this is if the deep line gets a fish, its more likely to tangle. Then again, I usually only stack when fishing sox, and they don't usually pop the pin.... my $0.02.

I don't usually stack my rods these days however when I use to this was what i did. Stack 2 rods on each side fishing no deeper than 70'; 20' spread on each down rigger. fish gear on opposing down riggers no closer than 10" depth-wise, same distance from clip to flasher on all lines, slow turns. If fishing deeper than 70' 2 rods 1 side 1 rod on the other, same drill as for depths. Never really had much of a problem with tangles unless I was fishing an area with strong tidal currents. However there was the odd occasion when tangles did occur. These days I only fish 2 rods and seem to do OK.

h.e.h.

Having fished with some guides on WCVI I learned to stack. Always stack 2 rods each side. It can be a trick in strong current, however rarely do I get tangled. I try to keep the rods 30' apart min. each rod same distance back from the clips roughly 10 pulls.

NOW fishing solo, stacking is damn near next to impossible... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back