Your favorite Spoons

I've got a bit of a home coming trip to Bamfield this July and its a return after more than 20 years away. I used to fish out of Poett when I was a kid so Barkley has a bit of nostalgia for me. I ve got a lot of the old tackle from the old red hot spot flashers, 5" Tom Mack spoons, and a few tomic plugs of old, but the hoochies are all welded together and the brown maxima leader line says it was 'made in West Germany'

Anyway I'd like to update the box a little for 2024 and I'm hoping to get some recommendations. The cop car and irish cream look like they'll get the nod, no bananas looks popular.. what am I missing?

The plan is to head out off shore as much as the weather will allow but I run an outboard jet so I expect to fish the wall to Whitlestone unless conditions are very good. I'll also be running riggers and a proper kicker.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say!

Polish up the Tom Macks & sharpen the hooks.

In terms of other spoons get the Herring models from AP Tackleworks hand made here in BC

MargaritaHerring.jpg

Polish up the Tom Macks & sharpen the hooks.

In terms of other spoons get the Herring models from AP Tackleworks hand made here in BC

MargaritaHerring.jpg

I always do decent with the 4" sand lance... Most guys I fish with on the west coast use bait anchovies and it's their boat and gear (not going to complain) but when I'm out on our little boat on the inside the AP spoons almost always produce something. Very strong, don't bend like cheaper lighter spoons.

I prefer the AP Anchovy spoons even in sandlance country. I usually fish dummy flasher so I feel they they give a little more action while not being towed behind a flasher. Skinny 'G' Herring Aide is also a go to. I came across some "Spirit Lures" spoons in a clearance box and have been doing very well with them off the South Island summer and winter. Either their spirit spoon or 'looney' spoon in #3 in either Herring Aid or Green hornet.

LR12 hoochie and blue chrome flasher.
brown oil slick turd and purple gold flasher

assortment of WCFT spoons - tried and true for me, no changing hooks and they are not made of tinfoil
PHAT-E
little phat-e
halo herring
lemon drop

Read “high tech jigging” it’s a thread on this forum
Trust me if your like the rest of us you’ll have more than you need
These guys know their stuff on here
Funny my Dad told me a story about him and my sister jigging springs in Barkley. I would have been fishing bullheads at the dock but they were out trolling all morning. My elder sister (15 at the time) was bored of putting around and insisted on jigging up some rock fish. The sun was right and they were fishing shallow enough that my sister could see the rock fish coming over to see her buzzbomb working. She convinced my relaxing Dad to look down and see the show and just as he he observed the jig working he saw a tyee take a swipe and miss. He promptly went back to the salmon grounds they had been working all morning and together reeled up a handful of quality springs.

Would have been in the late 80's

Definitely have a couple of 602s kicking around.

Do you pull those around behind a flasher or on their own?
Some guys will run a dummy flasher off their cannon ball but I have never noticed a difference with or without tbh. Just run the plug back on its own 20-30 feet and let it do its thing. If you run a tubby that allows for a slower trolling speed so you could run a hoochie or a spoon set up on the other side. Good luck out there

LR12 hoochie and blue chrome flasher.
brown oil slick turd and purple gold flasher

assortment of WCFT spoons - tried and true for me, no changing hooks and they are not made of tinfoil
PHAT-E
little phat-e
halo herring
lemon drop
Yes, the Weat Coast Fishing Tackle spoons kick butt. Better quality finishes and better quality hooks than the regular products most guys run.

Back