DIY Butt juice scent

trophy2302

With halibut opening day possibly just a few days away, and the ever increasing price of Pro Cure halibut / bottom fish scent gel, has anyone ever been successful at making their own? I know most recipes consist of salmon roe.
Any diy recipes would be greatly appeciated.
Thanks in advance 👍🏽

Not necessary. Salmon belly or plain white power grubs. Halis are not picky. My wife and I got our 6 lings and 2 over halis in and hour or so on one little rock pile last July. White power grub 16 oz lead heads no bait or Sent.

crushed up roe with some prawn anise. its gross and works.

lets talk chumming, legal? grey area? i know six gills love it.

crushed up roe with some prawn anise. its gross and works.

lets talk chumming, legal? grey area? i know six gills love it.
My understanding is chum bag for scent - Legal
Chumming - illegal
Hard to chum the water at 200-300 ft anchored in a current anyways.

I may be wrong but that is my understanding.

Whats the verdict on chum bags? Legal or not?
I agree on your anchor may not be best but what about off the downrigger?

You can use chum bags. Many do and many have for years. Put on your anchor or downrigger it's up to you. My buddy had his anchor drag years ago when something grabbed his chum bag ..... six gill shark probaly.

Mainland halibut hopeful here, so take my advice with a grain of salt. The comment about using salmon roe and chum bags spurred a thought for me; what about using sturgeon style bait bags?

For sturgeon we use panty hoes to make large roe bags for the Fraser and its a staple out here. My thought is a guy could make a halibut's breakfast of mackerel, squid, herring, salmon, herring oil, roe and whatever, coarse chop it all in a food processor, and spoon it into a desired size bait sac.

It would milk scent like crazy, but I doubt they would hold up very well to the teethy critters at the bottom.

Thoughts?

I actually tried this one trip after seeing my brother in law use it as you described for sturgeon. I made smaller bags about 2” in diameter and attached it to a treble hook. I only used it one trip and I didn’t catch anything on that particular day but I’ve had many days like that. Don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

onion sacks, crab bait bags, shellfish packing materials (plastic mesh bags). they all work. i freeze mine, tie it off to the cannonball. swing the rigger forward. 2lb balls off the sides and 1.5 lbs off the back. generally keeps the tangles down unless the hali or shark is swimming around with the bait. then it can be a cluster F !! six gills have ripped off the sac more than a few times.

years ago i was experimenting with releasing chum. wrapping a bunch of 1" pieces of salmon in paper towel in a bait sac with big holes in it. send it down to the bottom and and shake the bag up and down after a few minutes. when cleaning the halibut i would check the stomachs. yup it worked.

Back