Intersting fishing tackle history in BC - The ones who helped form local fishing habits.

Charlie White invented a bunch of lures and developed the Scotty downrigger with Blayney Scott

Charlie's story about when they first started using the underwater camera to record a fish strike was hilarious. Thinking they'd discovered the secret sauce as the camera showed the fish were on their backs when they attacked the lure, they soon found out they had the camera mounted upside down.

Charlie's story about when they first started using the underwater camera to record a fish strike was hilarious. Thinking they'd discovered the secret sauce as the camera showed the fish were on their backs when they attacked the lure, they soon found out they had the camera mounted upside down.
Charlie was a great guy. I as a kid growing up during his showings at the museum, he made time to take my questions. Later on in my teens I got to go to a prawn and crabbing seminar at his house, later on in my twenties I was able to get him and many other Vancouver Island tackle greats to come to a mini show that I put together on a long weekend at Canadian Tire, where I worked the fishing department for a few years. It was an awesome weekend. I remember Charlie asking me at the end of that weekend what I really wanted to do with my life, I told him it doesn't really matter to me as long as it is related to fishing. He chuckled and said - "Kid, you are already well on your way, don't quit, stay strong." It was an amazing time in my life.

Last edited:
Blayney Scott taught me my first lesson in business. I was 12 turning 13 years old, I met him at his shop in James Bay, Victoria. They used to make net lights for the commercial fleet and punched out center cores of foam floats to fit the pipe. I asked if i could collect the waste and he agreed. While I was there scrambling around picking up the pieces...he and his partner would tease me a bit by pretending to try and steal my idea, I had a zipper lip. This was my very first product that I introduced into the market. I was making floats for river fishing, Gordon's Sports was my very first customer.

This information is from the internet...

In 1952, Blayney Scott and his wife Almeda embarked on a remarkable journey in Victoria, British Columbia. Their vision was to revolutionize the manufacturing of fishing gear and marine products by pioneering the use of plastics. Thus, Scotty Manufacturing Ltd. was born.
From their modest beginnings, Scotty evolved into a company that produces thousands of products under the Scotty trademark. These products cater to the fishing, marine, outdoor, and firefighting industries worldwide. Let’s take a glimpse at some key milestones in Scotty’s history:
  1. 1952: Blayney and Almeda Scott establish Scotty Manufacturing, focusing on plastic-based fishing lures and marine products.
  2. 1990: The mysterious Black Box emerges—a device that anglers believe could magically attract fish to their boats by altering electrical currents in downrigger cables.
  3. 2000: The 163 1.5″ Ball Mount becomes a popular product.
  4. 2018: Scotty introduces the 2106 High Performance Pro Pack.
  5. 2022: Scotty continues its legacy of innovation, quality, and service, remaining committed to designing outstanding sport fishing equipment.
For the past 70 years, Scotty has thrived, thanks to its passionate customers and dedicated staff. They’ve weathered the tides, reeled in success, and continue to shape the fishing world with their ingenuity and commitment. 🎣🌊
For more Scotty updates, join the community at @SCOTTYPRODUCTS12.
A good buddy passed this on to me as he knew I had a interest in collecting BC bred salmon tackle. The "Scotty Triple Threat Lure"
I have seen a Scotty salmon plug and box combo and would like to add one to my BC collection. Also pictured is a "Pintail "plug
Hanson plastics Vancouver BC

Attachments

• 20240322_100447.jpg
    20240322_100447.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 38
A good buddy passed this on to me as he knew I had a interest in collecting BC bred salmon tackle. The "Scotty Triple Threat Lure"
I have seen a Scotty salmon plug and box combo and would like to add one to my BC collection. Also pictured is a "Pintail "plug
Hanson plastics Vancouver BC
Thanks for sharing, I always though Big Butch produced the Pintail

Back