Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Awesome day out there, got into a good bite around 11:00 am
18,16,14 and released a wild about 14. ;)
squirts in the sand.
loads of needlefish showing ...

Awesome day out there, got into a good bite around 11:00 am
18,16,14 and released a wild about 14. ;)
squirts in the sand.
loads of needlefish showing ...

Nice work Scott was that Oak Bay or the bank?

Bit rough out there to start today but turned out nice in the afternoon.
16lb hatch and one lost spring to start. 2 hali low 30's to finish.
Ran in on flat seas and sunshine.
Good day today.

Tips

Out tonight 6-8pm off the OB flats. Dead calm. All to ourself. Several large schools of salmon cruising on the fishfinder between brodie and trial. Hooked one small hatchery and a hali about 50lbs trolling a 3.5 coyote green and glow. Salmon was bursting with needlefish 5inches long. Hali got angry and shook the barbless hook beside the boat while my guest was fumbling around for the harpoon. Doh! Jackass! My second hali lost in the last two weeks and both by fumbling helpers on the gaff/poon. Next time I'm handing the rod to them and gaffing it myself. Anyway, 2 minutes after losing the hali, I got the salmon. I am liking my "new to me" marine garage sale finds. Berkely mooching rod and Temple forks outfitter Pacific mooching reel combo. Two fish first night out with the combo. Bring it on!

Out tonight 6-8pm off the OB flats. Dead calm. All to ourself. Several large schools of salmon cruising on the fishfinder between brodie and trial. Hooked one small hatchery and a hali about 50lbs trolling a 3.5 coyote green and glow. Salmon was bursting with needlefish 5inches long. Hali got angry and shook the barbless hook beside the boat while my guest was fumbling around for the harpoon. Doh! Jackass! My second hali lost in the last two weeks and both by fumbling helpers on the gaff/poon. Next time I'm handing the rod to them and gaffing it myself. Anyway, 2 minutes after losing the hali, I got the salmon. I am liking my "new to me" marine garage sale finds. Berkely mooching rod and Temple forks outfitter Pacific mooching reel combo. Two fish first night out with the combo. Bring it on!
Hey NG it was good to see you out there in the rain.
I wondered what all the yelling and screaming was about just as I was releasing a hatch job; scared the crap out a me.
You should know by now If you want something done right...............;):p

Out with The Rock off the waterfront for our first hali trip of the year this AM and it was a short one with that wind that came roaring down the strait at 8:30am. Luckily we had just landed our second so we packed up and raced in for an early day. One was mid fifties and the other pushing 40lbs. A little rusty with the spear but got 'em in the boat!

CAM_0133.jpg

Nice video Heli'. Non-stop action there.

BTW: We use fish like that for bait down here on the South Island. :)

Well boys the weather looks good tomorrow and its been a long week. How's things on the salmon side? Gonna go for silver this weekend considering the derby...

Lots of fish on the bank, lots of seals too. Hit 6, landed the first a over the limit wild and released. Then the next 5 all to the seals. managed to wrestle one away after a half hour battle. The fish was mangled, head half off, pieces missing but it was still going to be a dinner for the guests. Switched to hali fishing early (had enough of fighting mammals) and managed 3 out of 4. Nice day but had to put up with US military choppers hovering close by all day.

that is ridiculous to lose 5 of 6 fish to seals with the 6th being half eaten. What did your guests think of that?

We were out on Wednesday and the choppers were out then as well. On the plus side we got into 4 hali's!

They fought the seals 5 times for quite some time, spooled to the knot once so they got plenty of rod time. If it hadn't been for the hali's I'm sure they might have been a bit sour. As it was they appreciated my efforts and thanked me for a good trip. A tip was thrown in so I guess it went ok. They indicated they would be back to try Sooke in the summer.

Great day on the flats in Oak Bay, Into 5 landed 3. 16 and 13 pound hatcherey springs and a slot size wild about 8. Finished off with 8 Dunngy Crab. Electric Chair needle fish was hot right on the bottom. Stomachs full of needle fish. This all from 10 am til 1.

Back