Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

I usually fish much more often than I catch. I know RS Craven's boat from seeing it around Oak Bay and posting his consistent catches, but I am happy to say that I finally had a nice double header off the OB flats today before I saw him arrive. I am sure he would have caught them if he arrived first. LOL.Two springs, one hatch, one wild, both 65cm on the dot. 120 right on the bottom. I was trolling along and the fuel tank had shifted and crimped the fuel line. Kicker stalled. Got it going again and I guess the two springs were right on my gear and when it took off they nailed both setups. Baitrix strip and glow/green coyote 3.5. Great sunny day on the water. 30 crabs in the trap near Jemmy Jones/Caddie point, but not one legal male, likely 27 females in the batch.

Nice work NG. The bite really came on hard in the afternoon and was nonstop for the few boats that hung in. Had another big one bust me off again but I know I can get my spoon back from Scott later.;):D

so all this crab talk has me thinking...why exactly are we only allowed to take the males out of the population? Last I heard from sex ed, it usually takes a male and a female for reproduction. So we take all the males, then what, the females have to mate with the starfish? Is this another case of DFO not having a clue or is there something more about the crab rituals I don't know? I guess 1 male mates with several female, so thats probably part of it somehow, but wouldn't say 3 males/1 female be the better managed restriction?

Never thought about it until now, but it seems like grade 4 logic to me.

It's rare that a female is big enough to keep, and one male can take care of lots of females.. The system seems to work as crabbing over the years has remained consistant, unlike many other fisheries.

A male can be under the mimimum size for retention and still breed with the females, so there are always breeding males around.

ahh, some education...thanks for the insight. Don't know the crabs story, so it was just a pure seemingly logic application which I assumed there was a reason for.

Constance bank springs on fire !!!! 95% hatch and non stop all day. Gay pride squirt and whitelightning spoon. Go getem

Trev so a Gay Pride squirt is is that the little Jimmey /2 pink stripes ? Where do you guys come up with the names probably the result of a few wobbley pops maybe.

Electric Chair it is. Got the name a few years back i was killing fish early season in reny when not many fish were getting caught, showed the old boys around the fire they just laughed and called it gay pride they wouldn't even use one ,to funny but they are users now.

Aka;Pink Haze or Electric wheel chair LOL (North Pacific ref. code B103LPS) avl. in needle fish,Octipi,cuttlefish formats (Trotac Marine)

Back