TOONA SHOOTOUT!! - Bamfield September 22,23,24

Just saw your Tuna pic.
So you call that sports fishing do you?
If guys like Sculpin continue to post and brag about your Tuna haul, we will have regulations sooner, rather that later.
How does a 4 fish limit on Tuna sound!

I am not sure but DFO may only have control over the initial 24 miles offshore, but

I could be mistaken though.

It would appear DFO may have control over 370.4 Km from the shoreline.

More research should be done.

Exclusive economic zone

An exclusive economic zone extends from the outer limit of the territorial sea to a maximum of 200 nautical miles (370.4 km) from the territorial sea baseline, thus it includes the contiguous zone.[3] A coastal nation has control of all economic resources within its exclusive economic zone, including fishing, mining, oil exploration, and any pollution of those resources. However, it cannot prohibit passage or loitering above, on, or under the surface of the sea that is in compliance with the laws and regulations adopted by the coastal State in accordance with the provisions of the UN Convention, within that portion of its exclusive economic zone beyond its territorial sea. Before 1982, coastal nations arbitrarily extended their territorial waters in an effort to control activities which are now regulated by the exclusive economic zone, such as offshore oil exploration or fishing rights (see Cod Wars). Indeed, the exclusive economic zone is still popularly, though erroneously, called a coastal nation's territorial waters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_waters

Still the amount of boats brave enough to venture that far really don't even interest DFO I'm sure. Now if every boat was able to get tuna they'd probably try and find a way to capitalize.

I doubt they would also waste time, money, and resources sending out their inflatables, 60 miles offshore to catch a few boats with one or two more tuna on board than allowed, considering the Tuna isn't really a native species to BC itself. I guess it depends on the markets globally whether Harper would direct the goons to do anything, and I'm guessing the Asian markets want Tuna much larger than these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn those commies anyways wiping out all the fish. Nice to see the sportie commies just taking what they need : ) Is there a difference between traditional commies and sportie commies? One group does alot of preaching and finger pointing, the other just goes fishing, the fish still end up dead. It is a nice haul of fish though : ) , I wonder if they are selling any, hmmmm?

Damn those commies anyways wiping out all the fish. Nice to see the sportie commies just taking what they need : ) Is there a difference between traditional commies and sportie commies? One group does alot of preaching and finger pointing, the other just goes fishing, the fish still end up dead. It is a nice haul of fish though : ) , I wonder if they are selling any, hmmmm?

I guess if you read the previous post you'd see that the photo is an American photo taken in the US, and not BC.
I always found it pointless to make a comment if you didn't read all the posts previous.

Guys like Sculpin and CS will continue to brag about OUR 3 tuna this season(combined catch)...LoL.....

Ha ha no kidding. I'll add "our really expensive" 3 fish eh CS.

The fishery is so accessible, easy, and inexpensive that those albacore should be worried:rolleyes:.

Right on Jeff. Glad to hear they had a safe trip and got into some fish.

"Fogged In" My reply to your post on the other site:

Your quote:
This pic is why regs will come in soon for Tuna Fishing....hard to call Sports Fishing...eh
These were caught this week. Mayabe you know this guy.

My Reply:

Regs already exist. The current limit is 20 per rod per day. Most that go are much more limited by their capacity to ice and hold fish for the return journey home.

From what I can determine from the picture, there is ~ a 3 person limit laying on the dock. Either their rig had HUGE hold capacity, they packed a LOT of coffins, or they simply didn't bother with the icing requirement. It may also be a reflection of multiple boat efforts. Without the full details, I would be damn hesitant to judge!

Sportfishing? Hell YEAH! Looks to me like a BRILLIANT day our on The Pond!
icon_twisted.gif

As long as those involved have the capacity to process / freeze these in a timely fashion such that nothing gets wasted, I see no problem here (and of course there were sufficient anglers to assign the numbers to).

EVERY single species DFO gets involved with "managing" soon begins to suffer under their somewhat twisted form of taking care of business. I, for one, sincerely hope they stay the hell out of tuna!

Cheers,
Nog

Nice that you posted what you did there (http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org/forum/bamfield-port-alberni-fishing-reports-2011-t1248-30.html) without noting this was a US catch or any of the other details. Guess that simply didn't sit well with your Agenda?

Wondering...
Nog

After reading this comment I called the comedy police and got this picture of onefish being taken down.
Heard the judge gave him community service of 100 hours at the local hatchery.
The hatchery volunteers have to watch him like a hawk as the only thing he knows is how to kill fish.
Interesting concept for him putting something back after many years of just taking.

comedypolice.jpg

GLG

I think these guys must of read a couple of posts in this thread:p.

PA080154.jpg

Just saw your Tuna pic.
So you call that sports fishing do you?
If guys like Sculpin continue to post and brag about your Tuna haul, we will have regulations sooner, rather that later.
How does a 4 fish limit on Tuna sound!

Can someone please flush this terd??

Doesn't even have a concept of the current regs. Hey Fogged Out - take off. And I'm being very polite.

This site doesn't need dicks like you.

Osama is a douche. Dont respond to him...:)

I have been watching these forms for years, but never had the inclination to post anything.
Was looking for the next round between Osama and Fogged In, but noticed Fogged In's post were no longer posted
Just wondering what happened?

I notice Osama started the Thread.
Are you telling me that because Osama started the Thread, he can "flogged out" or flush down the toilet anything he does not approve of?

I have been watching these forms for years, but never had the inclination to post anything.
Was looking for the next round between Osama and Fogged In, but noticed Fogged In's post were no longer posted
Just wondering what happened?
He posted a profanity laced personal attack and I used the Report feature to notify the Mod-who cleaned the garbage out of the thread.

Thanks to the Mod.

Friday Tuna Trip

We had hoped for an opportunity to chase the tuna this past weekend but arrived in Bamfield without much of a plan. We have been watching the weather and the SST charts and had some concerns that neither would cooperate. Through the helpful folks at the fuel dock, we managed to get in touch with one boat coming in from Vancouver and the weather on Friday looked like it would be manageable.

Left the dock at Mills Landing at 6:30AM and had an unnerving hour of travel in the dark. Especially unnerving once it was light enough to see the logs floating in the area. Would definitely wait the extra hour for daylight on the next trip as the risk seems unnecessarily high.

The trip out was rough but managed to average 20 - 25mph with a couple of rest stops and we dropped lines at 8:40AM.

First Tuna was hooked on my boat at 8:45 and the rodeo began! It seemed like non stop action with double and triple headers, busted lines, destroyed lures and blood splatter on everyone and everything. We were amazed to see 30lb tuna bend a short Hali rod 90 degrees when they hit and then peel off 100 feet of line before they even started slowing down!

We ran out of energy, ice and places to stash fish before noon and the winds looked like they were starting to come up so we headed back.

The trip back was much nicer with the following seas and we managed to average 30-35mph back to Bamfield arriving around 1:30 for some pics and a tuna filleting tutorial by Osama!

Thanks to all those who have contributed to this forum and who are willing to share their knowledge on this great fishery. Thanks to our new buddies from Vancouver for making the trek out to make the offshore trip possible. We will send you some of the photos we have of your boat launching out of the water!

An extra thanks to Jerry and Diane at Mills Landing who were incredible hosts and very accommodating with our every request.

We will definitely be back next year!

Attachments

• FMV_0863.jpg
    FMV_0863.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 155
Largest fish was ~32lbs but they were all very close in size. Smallest was likely around 28lbs.

Back