Fishing Staycation

Tips Up

Was supposed to be in Bamfield last weekend June 9-12 with my son and friends on a second boat but unfortunately trip was cancelled due to the highway closure.
We decided because we had the time booked off, boat ready, food purchased and we’re really looking forward to a weekend on the water that we would do a staycation and fish 4 days from home. My boat is 17ft Double Eagle on a trailer and I live in Langford so I can fish anywhere from Sooke to Sidney within half hour drive.

Friday June 9
Put in a couple hours work on the laptop while my son pulled out the crab and prawn traps. Then at the crack of 10 am we were off to Saanich inlet. We dropped the crab traps and our prawn traps then spent 4 hours fishing for lings. We caught a few lings but could not find a keeper.
We pulled the prawn traps around 3:00 and all were loaded! Was surprised how big the prawns were for this time of year. We kept our limit on jumbos and had to throw back 100-150 good prawns.
Crab traps were empty.

800D5EB1-8AC8-4473-8E6C-59C692733EDA.jpeg5D95130A-FBC0-4367-9F4D-5F74A0993039.jpeg

Sat June 10
Launched in Beecher Bay and figured we would troll salmon for first couple hours starting in the open retention area. The bay was full of bait and marking fish. On the second pass in front of lamb island a fish hit and popped hard off the rigger. Battle was on with a nice fish. My son plays fish to the boat and sure enough about a 15lb hatchery! We circled through same spot and rod goes again. I played a fish to side of boat about 8-10lb. This one spits hook while we are looking for the fin.
Couple more passes with nothing so we headed off to find some ling cod. We always talk about trying for lings in Sooke but never do so today was the day. We caught a bunch of undersized and one nice keeper.

F780E02B-9E83-44BD-8702-3E2828E6D7CC.jpeg
51ADB9AE-2E04-4190-AF6D-6527404D49A0.jpegE1F0CC48-E808-4A59-B69C-F89F3791F9DF.jpeg
Sunday June 11
Weather and tides look great so we are off at 5:30 am to launch out of Pedder Bay and go for halibut. This time with another friend on board. Water is like a lake and we get set up on one of my favourite spots.
After sorting through a bunch of dogs during the slack we start to swing on the ebb. The Hali bite came on and we boated 3 halibut! Including this one 125cm and 58lb! Would have been a great derby fish.
BB592E93-2B41-4F8B-9351-5E6B0F6B2B26.jpeg

Monday June 12

Considered being responsible and going back to work and sending kid to school but weather and tides were perfect again and my son put up good argument that he was caught up at school and teacher wasn’t expecting him…. So we headed out to same spot again. At 9:30 we got a double header and put 2 more hali on the deck.

Turned out to be a great weekend. Not the Bamfield experience we were looking for but I think we made the best of it. Fished multiple species in multiple locations and had a great weekend with my kid on the boat.CCCCB5D2-2B94-43CC-95EB-F1AE1157D6BD.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice!! That's what its about!!
ps..love that you took your son out for a "un professional day" on Monday...i would do that with my kids when they were young,
made great memories
Good on you!!

I'm lucky to have a great son who truly loves fishing and everything that goes along with it. He often comments on how beautiful an area is or how cool it is to try new fishing tactics. He pulls his weight on the boat, is a valuable fishing partner and can hold a fishing conversation with any adult. Doesn't hurt that the kid is a fish whisperer. LOL Pretty cool for 13 years old.
My daughter (17 years old) also likes to fish with me as long as it is just the 2 of us, starts after 7am and the weather and fishing is good. LOL.

I have great memories of fishing with my dad and happy to continue the tradition. Sadly lost him to cancer to young when he was 68 and I was 37. I think of him when I'm on the water. Especially in our old stomping grounds of Brentwood Bay.

I'm lucky to have a great son who truly loves fishing and everything that goes along with it. He often comments on how beautiful an area is or how cool it is to try new fishing tactics. He pulls his weight on the boat, is a valuable fishing partner and can hold a fishing conversation with any adult. Doesn't hurt that the kid is a fish whisperer. LOL Pretty cool for 13 years old.
My daughter (17 years old) also likes to fish with me as long as it is just the 2 of us, starts after 7am and the weather and fishing is good. LOL.

I have great memories of fishing with my dad and happy to continue the tradition. Sadly lost him to cancer to young when he was 68 and I was 37. I think of him when I'm on the water. Especially in our old stomping grounds of Brentwood Bay.
You're very lucky to have your son to think and act like that

Awesome! looks like such a fun time with your kid! got everything you targeted so I'd say it was a heck of a staycation!

Funny how we often discount the local waters in our own backyard. We are happy to grind out a 12 hour day away at some remote location but get frustrated after a couple of hours near home. About 15 years ago, I was still an Albertan but had a cabin on Pender Island. Spent the big dough to fly to Rivers Inlet in July for 3 days fishing and scratched up a couple of Coho's and a few bottom fish. Very disappointed. Came back to Pender Island and the next day landed my first ever Tyee off the Pender Bluffs about 500 yards from my cabin.

Stories like this are awesome 👍🏻
I’m blessed to be able to take the summer off and have planned a two week trip to the Barkley sound and one week up to terrace for some river fishing and an epic road trip with my boy who is sixteen and has his learners gonna be a blast

Great story nice fish. A few years ago, I went to winter harbour for a couple days with a friend. It was dead for Chinook, really serious fisherman were getting little or nothing, we got no salmon (we did ok on lingcod). We came home, and the next day went out from CR. Two nice springs 13-15lbs off Wilby shoals and home in an hour.

Back