Boat Camping

Chuck

Past several seasons have fished Campania, Rennison, Aristazabal, Price, Milbanke, Shearwater, Hakai and at times run further south to Rivers all while boat camping. A great trip, great fishing for the most part and incredible spots on the hook for the many nights camping on the water.
This season or next thinking up a plan to fish WCVI. Launch in Alberni or Gold River run up and hit Barkley working north fishing Tofino, Nootka, Esperenza, Kyuquot, Winter Harbour and possibly up to Cape Scott. Fully understanding running and fishing the outside could be much more nasty than running the Central Coast but could be a great trip but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it!

Any recommendations for fuel stops and where to hide while on the hook overnight in these areas?

Thanks,

Hi Chuck: Generally I think you'd be best to start north and work your way down. For example Nootka peaks around the end of July into August whereas Barkley Sound is more an end of August fishery. You can access up to Kyuquot from Gold River. Fuel is available at Critter and Moutcha, Tahsis, Zeballos, Esperanza, and Fair Harbour. I'd be wary go past around Brooks, and have never done it. It would be interesting to hear from people that have done Nootka around Estevan Point as you could then duck into Hot Springs Cove and work inside to Tofino. Top down you'd also have the predominant NW'ly winds at your back. I'm looking and some of your Central Coast spots and hoping to visit a few this year!

Very cool adventure. Lot of guys on this forum will be following this thread - its a bucket list trip.

Running from Winter Harbour to Port Alberni would be best option as noted given weather and the usual SW swell. You don't want to run east to west into that. Getting stretches of decent weather/conditions really makes it hard to plan a trip and finish it if you have limited number of days.

Fuel will be a challenge, especially from Winter Harbour to Tofino stretch. There is no fuel in Kyuquot, but I think they may still have fuel in Fair Harbour https://fairharbourbc.com/ is a slight detour off your route - check in advance to make sure they are running. Next fuel stop is Tahsis. Bit of a long run from there to Tofino. Hopefully you have large reserve tanks or capacity.

Brooks down to Kyuquot is a particularly nasty bit of ocean, be very cautious not to press the weather. Also lots of hidden nuggets around Kyoquot to watch for. Once you are at top end of Nootka Island, you can turn and run on the inside to Tahsis and have mostly protected run through Nootka Sound. Similarly bad open stretch from south end of Nootka to Estavan Point. Once you are at Estavan you can run over to get into protected water behind Flores and home free to Tofino. I haven't run Nootka to Estavan, so can't really offer much for that section. Few of my buds run it every year moving boats up to Kyuquot and tell me its not a bad run, just to really watch the weather.

When you say camping, you are talking about cruising and sleeping on board correct? I'm thinking of camping, but on shore. Looking forward to seeing all the tips for places to go- even if to just find good and safe harbours. Or scenic stuff.

When you say camping, you are talking about cruising and sleeping on board correct? I'm thinking of camping, but on shore. Looking forward to seeing all the tips for places to go- even if to just find good and safe harbours. Or scenic stuff.
I'm not sure what's worse. Sleeping in your boat in a storm, or trying to sleep on the beach while your boat is in the pitch black dragging across the beach in a storm.

That’s what plans and safe harbour knowing your spots is all about Right
Power boat is easy compared to the windy bunch
Charts are cool but the electronic zoom ability of apps and plotters are amazing for making plans

I'm not sure what's worse. Sleeping in your boat in a storm, or trying to sleep on the beach while your boat is in the pitch black dragging across the beach in a storm.
You’re saying you sleep during either of those
Hmmmm must have more money for repairs than most lol

At Nootka right by the Lighthouse just East a mile or so is a great amazing protected moorage (Anchorage). It shows on the chart as Gurtrdis Cove but I think it goes by another name as well. It’s tight getting in but I’ve seen large boats in there. It’s nice and close to the Lighthouse, Maquinna, Wash Rock etc for quick fishing access. You can moor at Friendly Cove on the hook as well but it is slightly exposed from the South. Fuel would be 25 minutes away at Critter Cove, East.

IMG_0485.jpegIMG_0484.jpeg

This is my worry too. My boat is small. So on shore is probably best for me. Thinking anchor buddy, and lots of chain and a big anchor.

This is my worry too. My boat is small. So on shore is probably best for me. Thinking anchor buddy, and lots of chain and a big anchor. I grew up cruising with my family. The first boat dragged anchor in a storm back in 1970 or so. It broke up on the rocks. To be fair freighters in English Bay were dragging and bumping each other during that storm. So needless to say, my dad was pretty big on anchoring right. It's still freaky though. I haven't done it yet with my boat. We will see shortly.....

Don’t know if this will help but it’s a great read
laPerouse parts 1 through 5
Just go to search and type “ laperouse “

At Nootka right by the Lighthouse just East a mile or so is a great amazing protected moorage (Anchorage). It shows on the chart as Gurtrdis Cove but I think it goes by another name as well. It’s tight getting in but I’ve seen large boats in there. It’s nice and close to the Lighthouse, Maquinna, Wash Rock etc for quick fishing access. You can moor at Friendly Cove on the hook as well but it is slightly exposed from the South. Fuel would be 25 minutes away at Critter Cove, East.

View attachment 101564View attachment 101565
This is a great little anchorage. Not as tight as it looks once you're in there. Have been in there with 5 or 6 other boats.

I've camped both ways in an open 16' Skookum Sealer. We only camped ashore 3 or 4 times. The main issues were
- anchoring the boat so its retrievable [we used a clothesline system but it tangled with kelp, etc]
- dragging camping gear up and down thru slippery intertidal
- finding enough level ground in inlet country
After that, we set up the boat so we could sleep under a tent fly, and secured a Coleman stove to the gunwale. We did well over 200 nights in 10 years - all over the coast - northern Gulf Islands, Renfrew, Bamfield, Clayoquot, Kyuquot, Queen Charlotte Strait and the Broughtons, and 3 trips into Bella Bella and the Central Coast. We chose tiny anchorages and never dragged anchor. Managed to catch a couple of fish, too :cool:

On the hook would be camping on the boat. Have been doing it for many years now and for obvious reasons important to find nice tight hideaways for the night.

Spent many nights on the boat in wicked storms but in the right spot minimal movement other than a sh-t ton of rain. Obviously important to ask many questions and have a few different plans for that reason. It ain't my first rodeo but nevertheless always cautious!

Last edited:
Back