Boat Camping

Hi Chuck: Generally I think you'd be best to start north and work your way down. For example Nootka peaks around the end of July into August whereas Barkley Sound is more an end of August fishery. You can access up to Kyuquot from Gold River. Fuel is available at Critter and Moutcha, Tahsis, Zeballos, Esperanza, and Fair Harbour. I'd be wary go past around Brooks, and have never done it. It would be interesting to hear from people that have done Nootka around Estevan Point as you could then duck into Hot Springs Cove and work inside to Tofino. Top down you'd also have the predominant NW'ly winds at your back. I'm looking and some of your Central Coast spots and hoping to visit a few this year!
Could definitely work the way down from the north. Good thought SW!

Very cool adventure. Lot of guys on this forum will be following this thread - its a bucket list trip.

Running from Winter Harbour to Port Alberni would be best option as noted given weather and the usual SW swell. You don't want to run east to west into that. Getting stretches of decent weather/conditions really makes it hard to plan a trip and finish it if you have limited number of days.

Fuel will be a challenge, especially from Winter Harbour to Tofino stretch. There is no fuel in Kyuquot, but I think they may still have fuel in Fair Harbour https://fairharbourbc.com/ is a slight detour off your route - check in advance to make sure they are running. Next fuel stop is Tahsis. Bit of a long run from there to Tofino. Hopefully you have large reserve tanks or capacity.

Brooks down to Kyuquot is a particularly nasty bit of ocean, be very cautious not to press the weather. Also lots of hidden nuggets around Kyoquot to watch for. Once you are at top end of Nootka Island, you can turn and run on the inside to Tahsis and have mostly protected run through Nootka Sound. Similarly bad open stretch from south end of Nootka to Estavan Point. Once you are at Estavan you can run over to get into protected water behind Flores and home free to Tofino. I haven't run Nootka to Estavan, so can't really offer much for that section. Few of my buds run it every year moving boats up to Kyuquot and tell me its not a bad run, just to really watch the weather.
When I had the boat built stuffed in the largest fuel tank possible, 600 ltrs. and I usually carry 4-5 jerry cans JIC, saying that Chuck can run 10+ hours@28knots on the fuel tank. Might as well have it than need it and not have it! Your info will for sure be taken into account. Thanks!

I've camped both ways in an open 16' Skookum Sealer. We only camped ashore 3 or 4 times. The main issues were
- anchoring the boat so its retrievable [we used a clothesline system but it tangled with kelp, etc]
- dragging camping gear up and down thru slippery intertidal
- finding enough level ground in inlet country
After that, we set up the boat so we could sleep under a tent fly, and secured a Coleman stove to the gunwale. We did well over 200 nights in 10 years - all over the coast - northern Gulf Islands, Renfrew, Bamfield, Clayoquot, Kyuquot, Queen Charlotte Strait and the Broughtons, and 3 trips into Bella Bella and the Central Coast. We chose tiny anchorages and never dragged anchor. Managed to catch a couple of fish, too :cool:
Wouldn't waste the time and energy camping on shore always stay on the boat and try and find tight anchorages in the right conditions.

On the hook would be camping on the boat. Have been doing it for many years now and for obvious reasons important to find nice tight hideaways for the night.
WellI screwed it up once and tied to someone elses moorning ball in a sheltered cove. Well the wind changed overnight and I ended up against a cliff face at 4AM in the pitch black, pissing rain and 3 foot swells while I was still tied to the damn thing. I don't ever want that adventure again! Lol

At Nootka right by the Lighthouse just East a mile or so is a great amazing protected moorage (Anchorage). It shows on the chart as Gurtrdis Cove but I think it goes by another name as well. It’s tight getting in but I’ve seen large boats in there. It’s nice and close to the Lighthouse, Maquinna, Wash Rock etc for quick fishing access. You can moor at Friendly Cove on the hook as well but it is slightly exposed from the South. Fuel would be 25 minutes away at Critter Cove, East.

View attachment 101564View attachment 101565
Yes I've seen some larger boats on anchor in Getrudis it is a smaller anchorage but my boat is not large so I'd anchor there in the right conditions.

Back