Renfrew 2010 Reports

Ya it's all about the fish so quit talkin crap about guides.

Now back to the fish haly is still good lots of nice size fish still the odd big spring on the beach and the guys on the bridge are killen big ho's.

The Jackel has it on the nose! We have only got 12% of the TAC in lbs. If , and I assure you that it is correct and accepted by the International Halibut Commission, that 1/2 our recreational catch is under 74 cm, or 25 lbs. then 6% of the total Canadian allowable catch, recreational, is over 25 lbs., then no matter what we catch or how we fish, or what we keep, we recreational anglers will never impact brood stock, not ever impact conservation concerns for halibut future fishing.

Give it a rest is wonderful advice and accurate...6% of the fishery just doesn't make a significant impact on the stock.

Our guides and general recreational anglers are doing the best they can to help the public fishery harvest their very limited and probably unconstitutionally limited access to halibut. So a few females are harvested...88% of the harvest through commercial fishing is what impacts brood stock, and only that 88% harvest.

If a fishery officer was commenting on the practice of 6% of the harvest, then he or she is, as usual , very uninformed of the harvest assignment and the operation of the IPHC operation and rules. The Officers I speak with and help are well versed on the issue, and do not make comments such as Scotty Boy suggests.

If it was the same guy going out for 90 days straight getting his own limit every day u might get a few guys to jump on you bandwagon. It's not, these are guides taking out people that would never get a chance to catch a hali and have just as much right to get their limit as the average weekend warrior. Guides take people fishing that cant afford their own boats, are to old to manage their own boats and in some cases are physically unable to manage on their own. A guide friend of mine had a gentleman in a wheelchair in the back of his boat 5 miles offshore slamming on spring, u should have seen the smile on this guys face..priceless. I'll hook up on that pic next time were out Trev...;)

Pass the Pack

Scottyboy look into the hold of an average or larger longliner after "ONE" hali trip. Might give a different perspective ;)[8D]

quote:Originally posted by scottyboy

i heard from a fisheries guy that anchors and chum buckets will be stopped shortly. have you guys heard of this? thinking this anchoring and chumming brings in the big ones, the ones that reproduce and keep us happy catching halis . is this good practise or not? myself i`m thinking not! heard alot of radio chatter about limit on large... want my meat anchor?guides talking not naming names. thinking this is not good at all[V]

tight lines

Shoulda asked this fisheries guy if DFO is gonna stop the draggers from ahnialating the groundfish and groundfish habitat between swiftsure and la perouse. Some of the most prolific halibut spots are now just gone and have been for almost five years. Wonder how that halibut bycatch figures into that 88%? Wonder if the seafloor out there will ever support and abundance of finfish like it once did as recent as the last decade?

Recreationally anchor fishing halibut, regardless of size of halibut caught, is a drop in the bucket compared to what the industrial fisheries/fishers do to the resource in these waters. Phuk Draggers!

Not to mention filling the rest of their catch alotment in & around Victoria[V]Sammy

speaking of our 12 % allotment, does anyone know how close we are to filling our dance card ?
rumors of a closure are surfacing ...

Hey thanks Mike it's got off to a good start hope it keeps up.Sounds like you will have a good time diceman's only been there a day and they have one down.

Ya better put the anchor away for awhile to many big fish hitting the deck.

Coho is ON FIRE. I did two trips today, we had 12 in the boat for 10 AM for the morning crew, and tubbed out again for the afternoon crew. Lots of fish in the bay in the strait and wherever, Batrix and Jellyfish Hoochie was the ticket behind green. Go get 'em, many in the high teens! Out again tomorrow. Plenty of hatchies or lots of wilds in the bay.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Last year this same date they were there like crazy. 27 28 29 were the best days for me. From what I heard the derby did not see too much action. With them being a little later this time around maybe there will still be alot around for the derby. I am not going to do the derby myself but I am plannig on being up Oct 1 weekend. ( I am babying a head cold this week:( or else I would be up there Monday for sure.

No crowd and tons of action!

My nephew and I will be up there for the derby--if Last Chance leaves a few for us!:) I sent your post to him in Edmonton just to wet his appetite, LC.
T2

Back