Right rod to rocks/shore

Newf

Crew Member
Okay, that's wild because there were more people breaking that rule than following it. It was absolute chaos Friday and Saturday.

The above quote is from a post on one of the fishing report threads so I thought it best to start a separate thread to discuss and keep it out of the thread for reports. We know this has been discussed many times before and folks have various opinions on the topic so all I asked is to be respectful in any responses in this thread. I’ll go first and I have pretty thick skin and will not be offended by what anyone says as I’m sure I’v done many things that others guys shake their head at and say “whose this dingbat out here today”??? Believe me when I say it’s not intentional.

To start I try and think of other possibilities when I see things that you would question and I’ve commented on this before on other threads. For example when there are boats going and coming from everywhere, just consider that many of these folks are new, just learning and sometimes in a new to them boat and first time on the water fishing. Some of these have never heard of right rod to shore.

Another example and one that I’ve encountered myself is when you have a guy coming, right rod to shore, in say 100ft water following a contour line. I’m going the opposite way and want to follow a tack on the inside of him in 60-80ft of water. What is wrong with that. Nothing, but some guys get bent out of shape and I think who pissed in his cornflakes this morning. Should I go out to 120ft of water to comply? I think not.

Another example, I’m going with the current and right rod to shore and guys coming the other way on the inside of me with their boat pointing offshore but not moving offshore because the current is stronger and is taking them right at me. How do i know if this guy is letting his boat ride with the current and wants to just drift and pass on the inside of me or based on how his boat is pointing, he actually want to cut across in front of me. I have problems reading my own mind so no chance I’m always gonna get it right with regards to what the other guys are thinking.

All I’m saying is that on any given day there may be lots going on,,,, new guys, guys fighting currents, guys avoiding kelp, guys avoiding what they think others guys are trying to do and the list goes on. The more boats the worst it can be. Try to be respectful, do your best not to contribute to the chaos, and give a guy a break when you have to. Remember, it’s just a fish, there will be others and we all don’t have 30 years of experience. Sure, there are a few dicks out there but for the most part we are all just trying to have a good day on the water.

Well said.
RR2S is great when the area is tight and currents force folks together.
Make it a teaching opportunity.
I find the Victoria waterfront to have a variety of fishing opportunities and not much current. Also it's safe for newbies to learn skills before taking on the more challenging areas.

In the example in your third paragraph, I think it very much depends on how far off-shore that other RR2S boat is, and how deep it is on the inside of him/her. If they are 500 yards off the beach and is the "inside" boat, I dont see a problem with it. If they are 50 yards off the beach and you are pinching him/her on those contours, then the challenges arise...?

In the example in your third paragraph, I think it very much depends on how far off-shore that other RR2S boat is, and how deep it is on the inside of him/her. If they are 500 yards off the beach and is the "inside" boat, I dont see a problem with it. If they are 50 yards off the beach and you are pinching him/her on those contours, then the challenges arise...?
Totally agree.

Another example, I’m going with the current and right rod to shore and guys coming the other way on the inside of me with their boat pointing offshore but not moving offshore because the current is stronger and is taking them right at me. How do i know if this guy is letting his boat ride with the current and wants to just drift and pass on the inside of me or based on how his boat is pointing, he actually want to cut across in front of me. I have problems reading my own mind so no chance I’m always gonna get it right with regards to what the other guys are thinking.
I agreee ill use otter for an example usually when we are in that current all of us are lined up and doing less then a knot barely moving but making way and we wll be 4 to 10 wide then you get this one guy that wants to do a inside pass and hes doing 5 kts and this has happens MANY a time he hits a fish and we have zero ways to move and we cut off his fish as it goes under our boats. and comes unglued but we cant do anything thats why you see us do a counter clockwise pattern WHEN EVERYBODY does it it goes great. no fuss no panic no yelling its being respectful... its really not that hard just look at take note of what the pack is doing.its really not hard...

The one that bugs me the most is guys trolling RIGHT behind me ill move from 80 to 100 to 60 and its like im magnetic go off to my side . otr just do a circle and tac back up I troll fast anyways if your catching me your really going fast!!! LOL

Good example was lighthouse half way to wya no real pattern just do your own thing and stay out of the way
At wya follow the pack and rr2s and counter clockwise and stay in your lane

I asked this a few years back, I often troll against the current and following the shoreline bringing my gear up and down as needed. My biggest **** off is guys that will get beside me match pace and grind me into the shore. Seems like most guys are doing the ronco “set it and forget it” trolling along a desired contour. This happens constantly at beechy head. I have a tack where I hit the head almost at 90degree and then turn but very rarely can I make it without guys pushing me in to close.

The one that bugs me the most is guys trolling RIGHT behind me ill move from 80 to 100 to 60 and its like im magnetic go off to my side . otr just do a circle and tac back up I troll fast anyways if your catching me your really going fast!!! LOL
There are a few clueless/messed up boaters. For example, a 24' aluminum boat with Alberta registration numbers came within a foot or two of trolling directly into my new kicker using the same clever navigational maneuver you describe, and I was against the rocks as my buddy yelled so I buried the throttle to narrowly avoid a certain collision. Later, coming back to the lodge, the same boat, ironically, was docked beside us for its first night. When I found the skipper and questioned him about nearly smashing into the stern of my boat, he said "You cut me off."

I agreee ill use otter for an example usually when we are in that current all of us are lined up and doing less then a knot barely moving but making way and we wll be 4 to 10 wide then you get this one guy that wants to do a inside pass and hes doing 5 kts and this has happens MANY a time he hits a fish and we have zero ways to move and we cut off his fish as it goes under our boats. and comes unglued but we cant do anything thats why you see us do a counter clockwise pattern WHEN EVERYBODY does it it goes great. no fuss no panic no yelling its being respectful... its really not that hard just look at take note of what the pack is doing.its really not hard...

Doubleheader has the best tac at Otter. It's legendary.

It takes a couple of minutes to get set up when you first arrive at a trolling location. While you're getting cannonballs, release clips, rods and tackle organized, take a few looks to see what the general tack pattern is. You're the newcomer today, just fit in with the existing boats for now; you can figure out how to hit your favourite line once you've been there a few minutes.

I always hang out from the flotilla, get my gear ready and then observe and join the pattern. I hear the Right Rod Rule used quite often and it’s good (as is any rule) if everyone follows it. I am curious however when people tell me it’s an actual, formal rule as opposed to a local understanding. For instance in the event of a collision does it actually legally define the stand on vs give way vessel? I can’t find it actually written anywhere where as Collision regs specifically states who has the right of way. Am I missing something? Wouldn’t be the first time 😃

I always hang out from the flotilla, get my gear ready and then observe and join the pattern. I hear the Right Rod Rule used quite often and it’s good (as is any rule) if everyone follows it. I am curious however when people tell me it’s an actual, formal rule as opposed to a local understanding. For instance in the event of a collision does it actually legally define the stand on vs give way vessel? I can’t find it actually written anywhere where as Collision regs specifically states who has the right of way. Am I missing something? Wouldn’t be the first time 😃
I just googled "Right Rod to Rocks" and "Right Rod to Shore". I got a bunch of stuff back about rods for rockfish and surf casting respectively. The only direct matches were links to this very thread. It's not a rule, it's a custom, and not a very widely known one if web searches are anything to go by.

I almost never follow this so called rule, i just adhere to the red on red light actual rule and conduct myself in a courteous manner. So few people actually are aware of it. I will say this tho... certain spots require this kind of a routine and i tend to stay away from them and find my own fish elsewhere.

I just googled "Right Rod to Rocks" and "Right Rod to Shore". I got a bunch of stuff back about rods for rockfish and surf casting respectively. The only direct matches were links to this very thread. It's not a rule, it's a custom, and not a very widely known one if web searches are anything to go by.
I never heard of it until on this forum.

Some folks try to make this sound like a simple thing. If there’s only a few boats around it is or should be relatively simple. But toss in 20 or 30 boats and it becomes a whole different thing. The rule or reg is red to red so take the scenario with 5 or 6 or more boats following the shoreline right rod to shore in a nice spacing and slightly staggered. All great until one of the inside boats decides he's at the end of “his” tack and wants to cut across to port. Not so good for the guys slightly behind and have not finished their tack. Following the rules/regs, if I understand it correctly, you now see his red and he has the right of way. The outside boats start to give way and move to port and often times have to find a path through a separate bunch of boats coming the other way. There’s no white and yellow lines out there to follow so be safe, be respectful. Sometimes **** happens, so alter course and start over if you have too.

Red to red works out to be the same as right rod closes to shore.

Everyone with a SOVP certificate knows r to r because it is the rule of the road in the marine industry.. Right rod closes to shore is a fisherman term. and if followed provides everyone a chance to fish the shallower water where the fish feed and it's the rules. But sure enough there is always a fisherman who want's the hit line going both ways, specially in derbies.

If there are not to many boats around like in the winter it's a different story, because there is lots of room to move around but when there are 60 boats, you better have some rules and guidance.

Al most all guide or people who fish a lot follow this rule. If the rule is followed it provides you a better understanding which way the vessel traveling towards you is going to go past you.

I try to avoid fishing weekends and derbies due to people who work Monday to Friday don't get to fish a lot and need their chance to fish the weekends and in a derby it is combat fishing, with people fishing all over the place in different directions and getting their fish cut off sooner or later.

Now a days when I get cut off, I just say sorry to the boater and hope my 20lb cannonballs and down rigger wire don't cut their lines off. People make mistakes all the time, specially in the fog, we just have to live with it and avoid the weekends.

Just think of it as Nascar fishing and everyone going around in an big oval fishing and then one car starts going the other direction. It really screws up the race.

Back