Renfrew 2010 Reports

20 try 40 all weekend and they were snaging the crap out of them can't figure why fisheries doesn't do something about it oh well as for the rest of fishing just spent 3 days up there 2 days hunting went very well and finished of haly fishing and limited up to 52 pds great water.

There was a 22 and 20lb coho weighed in as well.

When I was there on the weekend we caught Coho all day long. I'm sure we never went more than 15 minutes without a fish on. As I said we packed it in after a quadruple header. Not sure about what you consider good fishing, but if your getting quad hookups I'd say there's lot's of fish about.

i heard from a fisheries guy that anchors and chum buckets will be stopped shortly. have you guys heard of this? thinking this anchoring and chumming brings in the big ones, the ones that reproduce and keep us happy catching halis . is this good practise or not? myself i`m thinking not! heard alot of radio chatter about limit on large... want my meat anchor?guides talking not naming names. thinking this is not good at all[V]

tight lines

Who cares if i get my limit of haly then leave my pic for another guy, did it today got a 107,79,35 then left and another guide jumped on big deal nothing ilegal about that who cares if were talking about that on the radio.

Not many guys use chum buckets why so all the fish can sit and stare at the bucket and not my hooks.

did i get the hair on your back to stand up ? sorry , i`m not into pissing matches as you have always fished legal i`m sure !!!! if you read the full post it has 2 do with picks, size of fish and chum that me personally am not into. years down the road you will remember this and think a little .i hope it`s not 2 late!i have always done well on the drift sometimes takes a bit but whats the rush ? also i was just stating what a fishiers officer was stating 2 me !and i agree!! no offence given or taken.

tight lines

trev good one, buddy draccos let us do the same after he got his limit!my son & I were out with Rob.H.and our spot wasn't panning out,prooved to be a good move as we picked picked up 3 & the best part my son got to land his 1st.hali ever.helping out is what it's all about "cheers Sammy"

Guys, you may be forgetting that the commercial boys take 88% of the halibut in BC waters, and they don't get to keep anything smaller than 74 cm in length, probably about 25 lbs. They fish for and keep all the large ones they can catch, so the few large ones we catch during the year really doesn't make much difference to the brood stock for the species. We are not a conservation concern at all, regardless of the few large ones recreational anglers may keep. At least 50 % of our catch is under 74 cm, and most average 10 to 14 lbs.

I have heard nothing about concerns over anchoring for halibut, using chum containers or not, as we are limited to a percentage of the total TAC, how we catch them really isn't a major concern.

quote:Originally posted by traveller

probably about 25 lbs.

Not too sure about that. I have seen whole 1000lb totes without a dressed fish over 11 lbs

Be that as it may, the commercial fishermen can not keep halibut under 74 cm legally...they have applied to the IPHC to do so, but no ruling on that yet. They have to release the small fish, and are charged a mortality rate in doing so.

Our recreational fishery is not impacting on the brood stock at all by keeping some larger female halibut.

quote:Originally posted by traveller

Our recreational fishery is not impacting on the brood stock at all by keeping some larger female halibut.

I agree and hate the flaming on these boards when a guy keeps a lifetime fish[8D]

Before any sport fisherman gets an earfull for a conservation concearn, how about the commercial sector that gets %88 of the harvest? If every sporty went on a poaching spree, we would not make a dent in it. So I don't think it's a great idea to look down at someone for taking people fishing, and letting the people catch thier fish. Remember, a guide is paid to run a boat, the fish are nothing more then what anyone could catch in thier own boat.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

...........heading out looking for somes hoes tomorrow.... much around? should we be looking out on the bank or deepwater? any help would be appreciated :)

it`s a job right? i have a great argument about jobs and getting paid for it but i will not say a thing because i will end up being black balled out of this form . renfew years ago didn`t have anywhere near as many guiding boats as it does today! correct me if i`m wrong? all these boats today with 80% to 90% booked threw the season with full limits filled dayly thats a big dent . now if guides and sports are in the picture together thats even bigger . now if everyone targets mom hali it will make a huge dent and it will be seen in the near future . just like are salmon . rights or no rights this will turn out wrong!

tight lines

i heard in about 200 ft of water and 90ft on the rigger . so they are there !

tight lines

Hey Scottyboy what would you call getting up at 4am for 90 straight going 10 to 20 miles out for 10hrs in some of the worst water on the west coast just to get in and clean fish,boat and then fuel up 12 hr day min.If you go out on weekends and do a couple trips not work what us full time guys do work.I'm not sure about blackballed but your not making any friends thats for sure.

it`s not about friends or how hard you or i work !it`s about the fish ! i was just replying what a fisheries officer was chatting with me about! and it happends i agree with him . and i`m sure there are lots of others that agree with me as well. it`s really nothing 2 do with trevor or anyone it`s the practice !i just want the future of fishing 2 be great is all as i`m sure all of you as well do 2.

tight lines

Back