Traps left behind

No complaints

I ran into some engine trouble on the water yesterday and my Main wouldn't start. Just barely got in on the kicker which also started acting up. Suffice to say I had to leave my prawn trap out there so I could get back. Not sure what or if there is anything I can do but wait it out?
Got home charged battery says 12V but still won't start? Should I asume my traps are gone by the weekend?

This time of year your traps are a little safer out in Howe Sound (assuming thats where they are). I've let traps soak for several days without issue during the winter months.

I ran into some engine trouble on the water yesterday and my Main wouldn't start. Just barely got in on the kicker which also started acting up. Suffice to say I had to leave my prawn trap out there so I could get back. Not sure what or if there is anything I can do but wait it out?
Got home charged battery says 12V but still won't start? Should I asume my traps are gone by the weekend?

12 V is low for a fully charged battery. It should be reading at least 12.6 to 12.85 depending if it’s an AGM or flooded.

Are you on any other forums where someone might be out there fishing today and can pick your trap up for you?

12 V is low for a fully charged battery. It should be reading at least 12.6 to 12.85 depending if it’s an AGM or flooded.

Are you on any other forums where someone might be out there fishing today and can pick your trap up for you?
I jumped it with car in morning, went out to drop traps then, turned it off to fish but already dead again. Tried pull start didn't work. This is only forum I'm on at the moment. Thx

If you are on Facebook, you could look at joining a forum called Vancouver Salmon Fishing. One of the administrators is on here. The point being, it is an active page where people are out often and have picked up traps for others before. Your other choice would be to see if C Tow has a trap retrieval option. Kidding.

Really???? Okay hahaha I had a nice reply typed out. But will take high road. You don't need any life lessons just others help for your completely unsafe boating habits.
High road? there no roads in the water. no your right about one thing I dont need anyones help I'll deal with it, but there a difference between taking a risk and unsafe. My boat floats and and I have a kicker and Main was running took 1.5 to get in but did it myself. calculated risk, btw Dad i had a GREAT time out there lol.

High road? there no roads in the water. no your right about one thing I dont need anyones help I'll deal with it, but there a difference between taking a risk and unsafe. My boat floats and and I have a kicker and Main was running took 1.5 to get in but did it myself. calculated risk, btw Dad i had a GREAT time out there lol.
Could even say he’s got no complaints

Troubleshooting by replacing expensive components one after another is rarely a good idea. Assuming its a lead-acid battery that's not maintenance-free, pop the top off covers off and check that the cells on your battery are full and if not then top them up with distilled water and put it on slow charge for a day and then put a battery tester on it or take it to a place that'll test it for free (Lordco). If the battery is good... remove the alternator from the engine and take it in to be tested.

Troubleshooting by replacing expensive components one after another is rarely a good idea. Assuming its a lead-acid battery that's not maintenance-free, pop the top off covers off and check that the cells on your battery are full and if not then top them up with distilled water and put it on slow charge for a day and then put a battery tester on it or take it to a place that'll test it for free (Lordco). If the battery is good... remove the alternator from the engine and take it in to be tested.

We were having some issues with keeping our batteries charged, got that fixed and one of the things that we installed was one of these

1707688990680.png

I have the app on my phone and can check batteries while I watch the SuperBowl

Resting voltage of a fully charged battery is 12.6-12.8V, with the engine running it should be 13.5-14.5V.

If its 12.0V after charging I'd replace the battery asap (I'm not a believer in adding water). The life expectancy for a battery is 5 years and anything past that you've done fine. Past 10 years and it should be replaced on precaution.

Get the engine running; if it can't produce at least 13V try revving it a little and test again. If the running voltage can't break 13V or get into the ideal 13.5-14.5V range then...

Bring Out Another Thousand.

Yep agree with Ryan above. Batt should be ~13v fully charged. Test motor charging circuit while running, should read ~14v at the battery if that’s all good. Sounds like a bad battery though. I‘ve got a battery tester in East Van if you wanna verify before loading up the parts cannon, but I wont be available for another week and a half

Back