Renfrew 2010 Reports

Huh? Am I reading this right...is it no longer p.c. to fish in rivers, or, in this case, at the mouth of a river??

typical response
someone asks for help, god help him he isnt in a big boat way out in the ocean to catch something

he could be just outside the bar on the sanjuan and that would be ok i guess, but once the fish come over the bar (even though that is still saltwater by fisheries notice) they are no longer allowed to be fished for

all i can say is FKKKKK right offf AAHHOOOLEEE, while your out at the canbouy hooking em, isnt any different than someone throwing spoons etc.. at the inside of the bar

but who do i think i am responding to someone who doesnt like what others are doing[xx(]:(

Man this forum cracks me up! If its open to fishing the fish it if you like lake river or ocean. people were fishing rivers far before there were ever boats. As for the San Jaun Bridge fishery, might as well get my opinion in. I have fished there myself and everything I saw was a snag fest. there is a few fair fish but 95 percent are snaggers. The bridge fishing is a joke and should be closed (actually thought it was???) But from the shoreline game on it is fishing. The one that caught my attention this week is the Sooke river below the bridge has a reg that you must use a small single barbless hook now on lures to prevent the massive "tail Biting" jig fest down on the spit. I remember watch this redneck idiot try and tell me they smack his 6/0 treble hook with lead and a small piece of red tubing but they alway jump and get hook somewhere else on the body. Guy was a champ.

Someone should have told that to Roderick Haig Brown 60 yrs ago when he pioneered the art of casting a fly to spawning salmon.. Reel Easy, get your head out of your butt[:eek:)].. Some here enjoy, and legally fish in the rivers..:(-dirty

haha, Didn't mean to cause such a stir when asking for a good place to cast a spoon in Renfew. Had a fun weekend out there but only got in a couple hours fishing on a rainy Saturday morning. We walked over the bridge and out to the river mouth and threw out a few spoons/spinners and only hooked 2 little fry. There were 6-8 other guys out there but no one hooked up in the 2-3 hours we were there.

Stopped by the bridge on our way home to check out the scene and it's quite a different style of fishing than I've seen before. One guy snagged a big chum by the tail and after a labour-intensive battle with the foul-hooked fish he bonked it with a rock on to cause the fish to jump around and eventually find itself back in the river with a serious concussion I'm sure. Not my style of fishing but I understand that's the norm off that bridge so I won't pass judgement.

Looking forward to getting more into river fishing after spending nearly all of my time out on the open water growing up.

Out today oct 17, hooked 14 landed 10, biggest was a buck 15.5 lbs.
Not enough hatchery to limit. Awesome weather day. Maybe one more
Trip if weather holds.

Well figured i'd start the thread! Gonna pull the trailer out there this week and set up shop, heard things are heating up out there! Any reports???

I am relatively new to halibut fishing. I have heard about the "Chicken Ranch" at Swiftshore. Can anyone give me the co-ordinates or approximate area of the Chicken Ranch? Thanks.

I am relatively new to halibut fishing. I have heard about the "Chicken Ranch" at Swiftshore. Can anyone give me the co-ordinates or approximate area of the Chicken Ranch? Thanks.

I am trying to pinpoint this using my chip in a Navionics NavPlanner. Do you have approximate points. Would this be at the far northwestern corner? I have the no fishing marked off in my GPS but the do not come over unless I specifically download them. GPS co-ordinates would be helpful

Anyone have any suggestions for a successful halibut day when season opens in a week or so? My preference is somewhere off Sooke but that is not written in stone. Just need a couple before season closes.

It is around 1.5 miles north of the bouy Juliet. Right on the border of the Swiftsure Closure due north of Bouy Juliet.

I am trying to pinpoint this using my chip in a Navionics NavPlanner. Do you have approximate points. Would this be at the far northwestern corner? I have the no fishing marked off in my GPS but the do not come over unless I specifically download them. GPS co-ordinates would be helpful

Anyone have any suggestions for a successful halibut day when season opens in a week or so? My preference is somewhere off Sooke but that is not written in stone. Just need a couple before season closes.

swiftsure in winter

You do not what to be anywhere near there this time of year.

I would like to see Swiftsure Bank on one of those 20 foot west swell days, with a strong ebbing current. Preferably from a helicopter though. I'm sure it would be impressive.

b55...you are an optimistic fellow, re: hali opening in a week. See conservation thread for all the latest fun and furor!

We saw winter weather this past summer on that place they call Swiftsure. Last week was a **** on a plater day on the banks. No I was not dumb enough to be out there, a buddy came thru on the Coast Guard. Crabbing is still great in the mouth of the San Juan.

Back