A new outlook on Downriggers

Status
Not open for further replies.
My reading comprehension is fine. It’s your backpedaling on your posts that has me confused. As I said before use them if you want. I’ll stick with a proven product with outstanding customer support.

Actually I dont necessarily support GO USA. I use Japanese outboards, japanese reels, Korean electrics, German optics, us radios and plotters and who knows what else. The best for the job imo, as long as it isnt chinese. And no arguemtn that Scotty isnt a top notch company.

Actually I dont necessarily support GO USA. I use Japanese outboards, japanese reels, Korean electrics, German optics, us radios and plotters and who knows what else. The best for the job imo, as long as it isnt chinese. And no arguemtn that Scotty isnt a top notch company.
Just poking ya as I know how you all are down south, making it light....

Just poking ya as I know how you all are down south, making it light....
We give salmon fishing seminars down here in Southern Oregon for alot of you BC guys. But with this covid bs not sure if we will offer it this year.

read again..slower. I said you can order/buy circuit boards but they wont give you free ones if they are not made for the model you bought! I am sure the service rep didnt know about modifying only that they quit making the board for my 11 yr old rigger. I am not trying to change your mind just an informative discussion that always turns defensive on forums.

I placed my order with mikes. they acknowledged and told me 3 weeks to deliver. 2 weeks later they called me and said they are shipped. I will get them in a day or so.

ref original purchaer. I posted a pic of corroded scotty parts. owner is a full time salt water guide and has 4 scottys. he called scotty to get a new thermal circuit breaker and they told him no warranty as he was not the original purchaser. he had told them they came with the boat he bought. Scotty said to go to automotive store and get the thermals because they are auto ones they use. which he did.,
I’ve heard they tightened up on the warranty for second owners but have no experience with that. I looked at the corrosion photos and it looks like your buddy doesn’t believe in preventative maintenance. I like Scotty because they are local and do an annual tune up on my riggers for no charge. Unless that corrosion were to happen between annual tuneups, I’m not worried.

What kind of post sales service does Canon offer? My point being that even if two products are virtually the same, the after sales service over the life of the product is the selling point to me. Maybe a comparison between the two is in order.

I started this thread to note the features that cannons have that many people dont realize. Not about warranty which is negligible as most run years and years with just regular maintenance. yes my friend never opened them up. 3 were good and one was rusted. I saw that the lead for the autostop had a rubber plug that was out of place letting in salt air. But it is not easy to see as its on the back side of the case.
No argument on after sale service with scotty - as long as you dont have to mail them to the factory! but they - both scotty and cannon - are so simple to service yourself that the issue for me is mute.

I encourage people to learn how to service/fix your own fishing gear. Riggers are the simplest of all. Sure Scotty dosent charge but then you can be out a rigger in the middle of season because of a 5 dollar plug n play relay that would take 10 minutes to install. Swapping out the board on your old cannon would have taken fifteen minutes with one screw driver. Boards costs 60 bucks. The old cannons dont have lid gaskets so take off your lid and seal it with dap dynaflex 230 get at local hardware. I buy all my parts for riggers at fish307.com. I also recommend removing the cover at end of season and inspect. Even Scotty can let in moisture via the auto stop lead where it enters the case. Best to seal it with from the inside. Here is a pic taken 2 weeks ago when I offered to help a friend figure out why his 1106 wouldnView attachment 62705View attachment 62706t work! Like to see your led workaround.
I opened mine up today after seeing your photos. Mine are 7 years old and I've never checked before. All good, nice and clean and dry but it never hurts to inspect...Thanks for sharing your pics...

Wow...this has wondered way off topic! We seem to have dived into the stereo typical divide here and forgotten that fishing, no matter how you like to do it, is the pursuit and this site is a welcoming place for all who like to participate. I know this was started with some good natured, tongue in cheek intentions, but remember, there is a fine line between good natured ribbing and smug asshole!
Cleaned up the unnecessary commentary so the thread can get back to being civil and on topic.

I started this thread to note the features that cannons have that many people dont realize. Not about warranty which is negligible as most run years and years with just regular maintenance. yes my friend never opened them up. 3 were good and one was rusted. I saw that the lead for the autostop had a rubber plug that was out of place letting in salt air. But it is not easy to see as its on the back side of the case.
No argument on after sale service with scotty - as long as you dont have to mail them to the factory! but they - both scotty and cannon - are so simple to service yourself that the issue for me is mute.
I think with any purchase you have to factor after sale service, to me it’s just part of the overall picture, be it a downrigger or car. Anyone willing to provide a lifetime warranty and free annual tuneups has to have faith in their product. Buying something is just part of its cost, repair and maintenance has to be factored as well. I’m not seeing anything that would lead me to switch, but maybe not everyone sees it the same way.

Didnt think is was bad at all people were great in my mind if you saw there was always a LOL or a smiley face no curse words or calling names was rather civil really....
It was, to a point, you just didn't see all of it. Everyone had their fun and, when it started to cross the line, it was pulled. No harm...carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back