A new outlook on Downriggers

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s all good Tesoro didn't want to start anything. Stuff like that just stands out to me. Too many years looking after men around equipment and machines. For myself something like that would just be a no go for that reason. But each to their own for sure.

I remember reading about some Cannons that networked with your sounder and would pull your ball up if the depth got shallower than you were fishing, great feature. I will always be a Scotty guy though, local and great service and product as has been said many times. Im sure the Cannons are great too.

I certainly like the Power Down feature on Cannon products but apart from that can't see any reason to recommend them-and I've used a number of their models both electric and manual and even used to sell them back in the day.

They do make quality cable I will say that.

I remember reading about some Cannons that networked with your sounder and would pull your ball up if the depth got shallower than you were fishing, great feature. I will always be a Scotty guy though, local and great service and product as has been said many times. Im sure the Cannons are great too.
That’s all the Johnson products I mentioned earlier. Can all be ran through Hummingbird Helix and Solix head units. Johnson owns Hummingbird, Cannon, Minn Kota. They can all be networked quite easily through their Ethernet hub. There are 5 ports on a hub and if you need you can link the hubs together and keep adding stuff. They can all be ran by Bluetooth through your phone as well. You can raise and lower your downriggers, steer your boat, set to follow depths full network capabilities through your phone, pretty cool stuff if your in to that.

i remember when i got my new scotty 1106. there were warranty cards etc in the box and i asked the retailer about something on the card. he replied, “ toss them i. the trash; here’s your warranty card ”. as he was tapping on the scotty logo.
Yup. Can’t say enough good things about Scotty. They’ve sent me replacement parts at no cost very quickly a few times now. I’m not the original owner of the riggers and they’ve got to be 10 years old easy. They don’t ask for proof of anything. Hard to find service like that nowadays. Will fish scottys for as long as they’re around.

I fished on a friends boat and he had Cannon's. I thought they were great. That being said I have had my 1106's for at least 15 years and they still work like the day I bought them. They are a local company, the service is amazing, what else can I say. I actually feel bad every year when I get the annual free service because I can't wrap my head around how they make money. I've had drums replaced, multiple counters, 1 motor, 10 or more free services etc. My only beef is the cheap offshore manual counters that they use. There is a little metal clip that falls out in no time and then you have to replace the counter. It's kind of lame that we need to pack spare counters because you go through a couple a season.

Last edited:
My dad and I were just in the market and we looked at the top cannon vs the 2116 high performance. 1)We liked the cannon, but we figured we'd look like a couple yuppies out there. Our motor is white. So the riggers would match 2) seem more inviting to steal off our boat. 3) fishing in remote areas of the island where will you find replacement parts. 4) we stack often 5) scotty is from BC.
We chose scotty again.

My dad and I were just in the market and we looked at the top cannon vs the 2116 high performance. 1)We liked the cannon, but we figured we'd look like a couple yuppies out there. Our motor is white. So the riggers would match 2) seem more inviting to steal off our boat. 3) fishing in remote areas of the island where will you find replacement parts. 4) we stack often 5) scotty is from BC.
We chose scotty again.

Sticking to not color coordinating your scotty to your motor is a good method to ensure you never buy a Mercury.

Scotty user for life. When you find a product like scotty that takes care of there customers like they do and is as reliable as they are, It just make sense to stick with them. Here in Washington you will see one cannon for every hundred scotty, There's a reason for that.

Tesoro, not long ago you posted this, have you had a big change of heart or just a pot stirrer because you are bored?

"Any luck? I have 3 blown boards for my HS and seems like none available in the world! I am going to look at repairing them and then buying scotties!"

The only bad thing about switching to Cannons is then you have to buy a bunch of level winds and change your boat name to "King Slayer" or "Silver".

Ha ha sorry, no offense intended just having a laugh first thing in the am.
and you also start yelling at people “ Heyyy!!! what are you using?!?! :)

If I were up in BC I would be embarrassed to run Cannons!

Ran mine up here out of Ukee & BamBam for years.
Certainly wasn't embarrassed by any means.

The Cannons very much are a superior product to the Scotty's. Hands Down.
But Scotty very much knows how to keep customers happy, and has the best support system in place to do so.
Translated that means Cannon will only ever realize a small share of the West Coast market unless they are willing to match that.
IMO they are not.
So Scotty will remain the market leader here as a consequence.

Cheers,
Nog

My boat also came with Cannon riggers - 5 of them actually. Even with 3 spares, I have a hard time keeping two operating reliably.

I have already purchased a pair of used 1106's to replace the Cannon's as soon as I get around to it.
Yea I know a few guys that had reliability issues with theirs

Tesoro, not long ago you posted this, have you had a big change of heart or just a pot stirrer because you are bored?

"Any luck? I have 3 blown boards for my HS and seems like none available in the world! I am going to look at repairing them and then buying scotties!"

I found out that the boards that were made for my original cannons came with under sized relays so they would burn when using heavy balls with not perfect current. Cannon came out with a new beefier board that has no issues. But they didnt tell me I could retrofit the new boards to my old riggers by swapping some wires. Understandably. But Mikes reel repair up in bc sets them up plug n play for 60 bucks each. end of issues and I fixed my wiring. My wife only uses 12lb balls on her rigger with a short wire to the battery and never had an issue but I did with my heavier weights and a long wire. I learned all of this after my original post. For me the added features make cannon preferable and esp where I have mine mounted on the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back