A new outlook on Downriggers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesoro

I am going to get fired on but I can take it. For years all I fished with were Scottys as Oregon is also 'Scotty country'. I cannot give anything but top grades to the Scotty customer support that I have experienced over my decades of fishing time.

Two years ago I bought 21ft Arima Ranger that came loaded with everything including a pair of Canon Mag10 tournament series riggers. My first reaction was to pull them off and sell to replace with the trusty 1106's but I decided to try them out of curiosity. Not only did I not flog them off but I just ordered 2 new ones!!

The pros of the cannon are 1) electrifies the cable to .6v so no need for black box 2) controlled slower power descent or faster option by using clutch 3) auto stop just below surface when using bungee with no beads. 4) much quieter than Scotty 5) more powerful and faster than 1106 ( I run 18lb ball and no strain) 6) more ergonomic as dont have to stand behind the rigger to better control the clutch release. 6) external easy to set clutch tension for hangups. 7) vertical exposed spool for better cable rinsing and less settling of water. 8) incase of a wire cutoff or break can replace spool with a fresh loaded up one easily at sea.

The cons are 1) no autostop if using braid but I see no advantage of braid. Cannon coated 316 cable better quality lasts longer than Scotty cable. 2) no lifetime warranty but they gave me a free replacement controller board for 10 yr old rigger when I burned it out by my error. 3) Takes more attention when fishing double stacked. 4) less parts availability in stores but I carry my spare parts on the boat so I dont lose a day if I break down.

Pricing for the Cannon Mag10 and 1106 fully rigged and plugged are comparable.

My boat also came with Cannon riggers - 5 of them actually. Even with 3 spares, I have a hard time keeping two operating reliably.

I have already purchased a pair of used 1106's to replace the Cannon's as soon as I get around to it.

My boat also came with Cannon riggers - 5 of them actually. Even with 3 spares, I have a hard time keeping two operating reliably.

I have already purchased a pair of used 1106's to replace the Cannon's as soon as I get around to it.

Scottys - the simple ones like 1106- just have one relay. The cannons have a power controller board so they need to be treated like your MFD and given correct power. Both brands are too simple to not be able to make reliable..unless there has been salt air/moisture inside the case and the power leads/grounds get corroded and that is also an easy fix. The pre-2011 cannons had relays on the pcb that would burn out when overloaded, but the boards have since been upgraded with a fix.

Much like many things today the products can be equally good. What it all comes down to is sales and service. If the buying experience is good, people will return when next they need to purchase. If the customer service, post purchase is good you create a loyal following who will both recommend your product and purchase it again. Scotty has a reputation and I‘ve personally experienced the post sale service. Personally I would not think about purchasing any other DR even if it were better.
More companies need to follow the Scotty example. In a competitive market it all comes down to how you treat your customers. Many businesses fail to realize this until it’s too late.

For my Hummingbird set up Cannon would be a good fit as all Johnson products are made to link together. So many cool features when you get it all going. But I’m not really a techy guy at all, I’m more just a meat and potatoes type operation. I like the simplicity of Scotty, simple and robust is generally more reliable, certainly easier to maintain. I’ll stick with my Scotty products for the foreseeable future.

What's the matter, what's the chatter, SCOTTY, Still under warranty :)

Attachments

• IMG_3950.JPG
    IMG_3950.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Scotty is the best. I'm sure Cannon is great, but, Scotty is a local BC Company with no questions asked warranty repairs. Don't know how many times I've dropped stuff in Sidney and they are fast and courteous. Usually no charge, Also, the issue with the digital counter, retailers will take your broken one and replace it with a new one. I did it two weeks ago,

Scotty has a good formula thats for sure. Cannon is about the same but more of a great lakes/east coast outfit. If it were not for the configuration of where I have to mount my riggers I would be 'either or' but the Cannons fit way better. If I were up in BC I would be embarrassed to run Cannons!

Attachments

• IMG_0322.jpeg
    IMG_0322.jpeg
    369.4 KB · Views: 74
I’m surprised no one has gotten anything caught in those open pulleys and sued their butt off yet. If those things were in an industrial work application there is no way that would be allowed. Nothing a youngster wearing a hoody with the ties hanging down would want to be around lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back